New LEAF commerical: 'Gas Powered Everything'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would consider a Volt if it retailed at $25,000.

However, one could also be kind, and say that the Volt is shown right when they say "then again, what if nothing did?"

Given that GM crushed all the EV1s and wouldn't let people pay for them to keep them at all, though, I'd suggest that GM actually deserves all the jabs they can get. How about a picture if a happy customer in a Leaf or Tesla on the left, and a picture of an EV1 in a crusher on the right? Labels: "This is an electric car. This is an electric car by GM. Any questions?"

evnow said:
Here is an article on the men behind the ad.

http://www.shootonline.com/go/news-view.rs-web3-1958823-1306521903-2.TBWA-Chiat-Day--Director-Dante-Ariola-Turn-A-New-LEAF-With--Gas-Powered-Everything-.html

The spot then takes us to a gas station where a hybrid car, GM's Volt, is getting a fill-up.
Dante Ariola of MJZ directed "Gas Powered Everything" for TBWA\Chiat\Day, Los Angeles, with visual effects from The Mill LA.
Matthew Libatique, ASC, was the DP. Editor was Gavin Cutler of Mackenzie Cutler. Colorist was Stefan Sonnenfeld of Company 3. Ren Klyce of Mit Out Sound was the sound designer. Music house was Black Iris Music.

Thanks for posting. That's definitely not Hawk on VWVortex.

-- DavidV :D

jwatte said:
Given that GM crushed all the EV1s and wouldn't let people pay for them to keep them at all, though, I'd suggest that GM actually deserves all the jabs they can get. How about a picture if a happy customer in a Leaf or Tesla on the left, and a picture of an EV1 in a crusher on the right? Labels: "This is an electric car. This is an electric car by GM. Any questions?"
And the lady giving the Volt presentation at the Philadelphia Internation Auto Show got an EV1 jab from the crowd; she replied that the Volt was the result of GM's EV research. I thought they really did a good job of hiding the tailpipe on the Volt, but I'm not interested at any price. Too complicated! Nissan should continue to push the mechanical simplicity of a pure EV...

palmermd said:
mwalsh said:
You know what is misleading and damaging to the EV movement.....having a hybrid and pretending it's an EV!
That seems to be GM's M.O. For the same reason they are spending money trying to get a different DC charging standard even though they have no plans to ever use one. Long live CHAdeMO!
And why doesn't Nissan's evse work on a Volt? I thought these things were to be universal.... GM apparently has other ideas. :roll:

Yikes! If you compare the European version, which presumably formed the basis of the NA commercial, Nissan might have even crossed the line as far as copyright infringement is concerned. Some of the scenes are way too close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13l6UsQAe5M But the details in the scenes are excellent. So give Renaut an "F" on originality and an "A" on execution.

The US commercial is an entirely different matter. Maybe a C- at best. It lacks the message that the European version has. Is there a point to this ad? Without a message you're left thinking there is an analogy, but if Nissan is trying to make an analogy the analogy doesn't quite fit -- electrical power tools require a cord which the Leaf lacks.

The Volt reference is irrelevant. 99.9% of viewers will miss it. 99.999% won't care. If bothered, GM executives need to lighten up. Better yet they should come up with a decent commercial for the Volt.

SanDust said:
electrical power tools require a cord which the Leaf lacks.
Some do, some don't. My electric drill is cordless. Of the devices in the commercial, probably less than half are normally corded. Cerainly the cell phone, MP3 player, and maybe the laptop would normally be battery operated.

SanDust said:
Better yet they should come up with a decent commercial for the Volt.
Oh ... and *NO DANCING* (like the autoshow display) .... please !

Actually GM did with the "breathe socket" commercial, except that that one contains the LEAF-blower reference. :|

evnow said:
mogur said:
I believe that they limited the discharge to the approximately 30 percent level to insure performance as much as to insure longevity.
Volt uses about 10.5kwh out of 16 kwh or about 65%. For a long time they were talking about using 50% (8kwh).

65% is also the percentage of SOC that Hyundai is using with the Sonata Hybrid, it also uses LG lithium manganese spinel cells.. GM warrants the capacity of their battery, Nissan does not.

LEAFer said:
Yanquetino said:
Huh. It now looks like Mitsubishi came up with the "gas-powered" gadgets long before Nissan, Renault, or even Plug-in America. A German firm reportedly created a spot along those same lines for the iMiEV in late 2010:

http://adage.com/article/global-news/nissan-renault-debut-identical-electric-car-ads/227849/
This one ? http://www.neuesuper.de/NEUESUPER_Kino___Com___TV/Elektrogerate.html
Yup: that's the one. You can also view it in the link I provided above.

Yanquetino said:
LEAFer said:
This one ? http://www.neuesuper.de/NEUESUPER_Kino___Com___TV/Elektrogerate.html
Yup: that's the one. You can also view it in the link I provided above.
I didn't see it in the link you provided ... or did I rush thru it ? I found it (my link) via a completely different path, but don't recall which one now ( I follow a multitude of forums and news/discussion sources ).

EDIT: WOW ! If I open your link in IE9 it shows the USA LEAF "commercial". But if I use FF4, the German one for the iMiev comes up ! :?: :?:

Additional Info: In FF4 there are 3 embedded videos. In my view with IE9 there's only one !

LEAFer said:
Actually GM did with the "breathe socket" commercial, except that that one contains the LEAF-blower reference. :|

That GM ad was aimed at creating anxiety and doubt about plugging in a car. People are very used to plugging in things every day. It is no big deal, safe, clean, simple, common, etc. So this is very bad if your GM and "competing" with a car that simply plugs-in. You have to make people take a second look at their wall outlets and imply that it may not be up to the task, it might fail, it's fine for a LEAF blower but maybe not for a car.

Bottom line - It was just another stupid, short sighted ad by a car company that really does not want to do EV's. If you really want to see "doomsday" ads look up some of the EV1 stuff when GM was trying to kill the program. Crazy stuff!

jwatte said:
I would consider a Volt if it retailed at $25,000.

However, one could also be kind, and say that the Volt is shown right when they say "then again, what if nothing did?"

You forgot some other fine points of EV1 leasing: EVEN though it was always GM intent to crush their ev's - EV1 lease returnees got CHARGED for scratches and dings on the relatively low front spoiler, before the cars got crushed. Only GM
:lol:

TRONZ said:
...If you really want to see "doomsday" ads look up some of the EV1 stuff when GM was trying to kill the program. Crazy stuff!...

Were they trying to sell cars, or scare people away?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7cgUm7o9k[/youtube]

SanDust said:
Yikes! If you compare the European version, which presumably formed the basis of the NA commercial, Nissan might have even crossed the line as far as copyright infringement is concerned. Some of the scenes are way too close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13l6UsQAe5M But the details in the scenes are excellent. So give Renaut an "F" on originality and an "A" on execution.

Just saw the Renault Euro version and I agree, two thumbs up for detail execution. If you haven't seen it yet, click on SanDust's link above. The details of the supposed gas-powered devices really tickled my fancy. Very cute!

By the way, at the end, you also get to hear how the English pronounce the name of the new Renault EV.

TEG said:
TRONZ said:
...If you really want to see "doomsday" ads look up some of the EV1 stuff when GM was trying to kill the program. Crazy stuff!...

Were they trying to sell cars, or scare people away?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7cgUm7o9k[/youtube]

Yup! That's the one. Just panning around on a lifeless photo. By the end of that thing people are scared and asking "What on earth happened to everyone? Who was that family and person "thing" approaching them? What was that smudge? And what was that car thing??? Is it the cars fault???

Nissan should just run that exact ad with the Volt photoshopped over the EV1. Game over for Volt sales.

TRONZ said:
...Yup! That's the one...

But wait! There's more:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uMzoi_G_o[/youtube]
The EV1 arrived, burned out the power lines, but don't worry - your appliances will come to life and come after you!

TEG said:
TRONZ said:
...Yup! That's the one...

But wait! There's more:

The EV1 arrived, burned out the power lines, but don't worry - your appliances will come to life and come after you!

Sounds like Academy Award winner Linda Hunt doing the voice over.

Maybe Nissan can snag her now, she's doing mindless NICS:Los Angeles now....

Back