Newbie trying to figure out charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Apologies in advance if this has been answered, but I'm 2 days into a Leaf lease and still learning.

Last night, I plugged in my trickle charger and set the charging timer to long-life mode (80%). I set the charge timer for every day from 12:00 a.m. to 11:50 p.m. expecting that whenever I plugged in, it would catch a charge cycle, and that way I could just plug in and go to 80% as a general policy.

It didn't work, however. I woke up with 100% charge this morning.

I also don't see any other way to make 80% the policy all the time.

Any other strategies that do work to get to 80% whenever I happen to plug in?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Gotta ask - there are two timers, are you sure you are using the one set for 80%?
Your posted set-up is very similar to what I have and I get 80% every time. Mine runs from noon to noon, and uses an upgraded EVSE, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Hello,
Having the start and stop time the same did not work on my leaf.
Make sure you not only have the timer set but have it turned on too.

bowthom said:
Hello,
Having the start and stop time the same did not work on my leaf.
Make sure you not only have the timer set but have it turned on too.
Yes, the trick with timers is to follow the "Save" and "Yes" prompts until you are sure the one you want is really on. Another thing to check is whether the days of the week are set correctly.

So, pick a timer (1 or 2)
Set START time (if desired, for no start time select "Clear")
Set % Charge: choose 80% or 100%, then hit the "Back" button
Set END time, hit "OK"
Set days of the week for whichever timer you are using, hit "OK"
Hit "Save"
Hit "Yes" to actually save the timer. If you don't do that the timer will not be saved.

The timer screen will show the next timer cycle to be implemented (I have the two timers set differently so this is important to check which one will be next).

When the car is turned off the dash will briefly flash a message that the charge timer is ON. This is all pretty easy once one tries it a few times.

I think the most common mistake made by new owners is to not hit "Save" followed by "Yes", then verify that the timer settings are now correct: % Charge, START time, END time, Days of the week.

Also, don't be confused by the "Immediate charge" button, left of the steering wheel just below the group of four. It not only starts charging immediately, it also tells the car to ignore everything the timers say, including the 80%. So don't press it unless you want 100%.

Ray

Don't use a start time, your car will calculate backward from the end time and charge accordingly.

Thanks, all, for the pointers. Having the same start and stop time does appear to work now. I think before I had pushed the timer off button at some point.

And I agree that you really have to pay attention to when "back" is the right response and when "yes" is the right response. I don't think Nissan quite nailed the interface because it's a little too easy to go wrong.

John

Back