Next Life for EV Batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

TED Talks - Bill Gates on Energy
http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates.html

gatesenergy.jpg

All which batteries? Yes, growth industry. Too bad the earth was not a giant lemon, we could make one big battery!

Great talk - what stood out for me that an affordable way to transition to a zero-CO2 energy source is his #1 goal that he'd pick over everything else. Let's hope we get there. EVs are one step in the right direction, but it's clear we have a long ways to go!

EVDRIVER said:
All which batteries? Yes, growth industry. Too bad the earth was not a giant lemon, we could make one big battery!
Hal? Send out the big copper bar please? Hal?

I'm sorry Dave...

Thanks for the video

OFF GRID HOUSES...

The old LEAF batteries should be perfect for off grid, does anyone here know the voltage and amp hours of the battery after 10 years and if there is an AC inverter that could be used to make 120 volt AC from the old used LEAF battery?

hooptie said:
The old LEAF batteries should be perfect for off grid, does anyone here know the voltage and amp hours of the battery after 10 years and if there is an AC inverter that could be used to make 120 volt AC from the old used LEAF battery?
I'm hopping onto this thread because this is exactly what I want to do with my battery pack after I take it out of the car. Assuming there are still 12-15 KWh left at that point, it should power the essentials (furnace blower, refrigerator) for 8-10 hours at a minimum. There are plenty of inverters for 12V and 24V systems. We just need one for the LEAF's pack.

There may be a new industry that crops up to utilize EV batteries after they reach about 80% capacity. The major auto companies are looking at "second use" batteries for other applications where the performance is not as critical as in EVs. One such example is "community energy storage" (CES) where used Li-ion batteries could be used for energy storage. By extending the use of the batteries beyond EVs, one hope is that the initial cost for the EV owner will be lower and subsidized by the second user. So far, these concepts are just that since there no batteries currently that have reached the end-of-life in EVs.

very compelling talk. but it still seems like a "all in one" option here despite his emphasis early that we could not do that.

sure, if its viable, then we need to try it to see if it can live up to its potential, but we have many options now that granted is not the "100%" solution he is looking for, but needs funding and support now

Back