Nissan’s big Leaf project offers suppliers little work...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

http://www.plasticsnews.com/headlines2.html?id=18798

The battery packs must be made in a highly controlled environment where workers don sterile uniforms to handle the parts. And because the vehicle itself is electric, there will be no need for engine parts, exhaust systems, mufflers, oil filters, fuel tanks and related parts.

Nissan also will produce the car’s electric motors internally.

That is a different scenario from the industry’s big billion-dollar plant investments of the past, which always meant a cornucopia of supplier contracts. Automakers typically speak of creating two to four parts and material supplier jobs for every vehicle assembly position created by a new plant.

the REAL jobs increases will come from new consumer options as EV's begin to permeate our society. what will those be?? we can only imagine.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the REAL jobs increases will come from new consumer options as EV's begin to permeate our society. what will those be?? we can only imagine.

Are you suggesting that someone who has worked for the last 20 years making oil filters might adapt to doing something else?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Are you suggesting that someone who has worked for the last 20 years making oil filters might adapt to doing something else?

If they want to keep working - Yes! Humans are quite capable of adapting to new situations. How many long-boat whalers do you see these days? Not many. They went on to learn a new trade or a new way to do the same thing.

Besides, from the pictures that I have seen of what is under the hood of the Leaf, it looks just as complicated as an ICE engine compartment. The Leaf is just as complicated of a vehicle with probably close to the same number of parts as an ICE vehicle. They just happen to be different types of parts. So I see this topic as a non-issue. It is a scare tatic for lost jobs from the oil industry.

40 years ago, the average adult would have had an average of 3-5 jobs in their entire lifetime.

today's young adult entering the job market is expected to have more than a dozen. so adapting to changes in the workplace is no longer a "desirable" trait. its either do it or die

sparky said:
http://www.plasticsnews.com/headlines2.html?id=18798

The battery packs must be made in a highly controlled environment where workers don sterile uniforms to handle the parts. And because the vehicle itself is electric, there will be no need for engine parts, exhaust systems, mufflers, oil filters, fuel tanks and related parts.

Nissan also will produce the car’s electric motors internally.

That is a different scenario from the industry’s big billion-dollar plant investments of the past, which always meant a cornucopia of supplier contracts. Automakers typically speak of creating two to four parts and material supplier jobs for every vehicle assembly position created by a new plant.

while this may be true for manufacturing the Leaf, it is hardly the entire story.

How about all of the electricans who will get work installing EVSEs?
How about the mfrs of the actual EVSEs?
How about all of the additional solar installers who will get work on PV systems, once people want more "green" power?

the story is just too shortsighted... and not looking at the larger picture.

there will be additional markets that spring up to support EV's. i have been driving an electric vehicle over 2½ years. they have all kinds of products to monitor battery health, maintain longevity, increase range, etc.

they are all currently niche product companies. when there are a million on the road, i can assure you these niche companies will have competition.

trust me on this, where the money goes, so goes the job flow. When Nissan is putting a billion dollars worth of product on the streets every year, trust me, the money will be there.

mwalsh said:
I must say that I am kinda glad that Nissan is building many of their own components. This is too important to farm crucial parts manufacture to the cheapest bidder from China.

Yep, leave that for Coda. :twisted:

LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

You mean the guy who actually turns the machine that makes the oil filters on & off .... That kind of manufacturing requires little if any human intervention. Not that I missed the funny funny -
:lol:

Back