Nissan Presents Leaf Sound for Pedestrians...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was amazing how quiet the LEAF is and it would have maybe been nice to have one or two demo cars with the VSP active. This way we could all get a chance to hear "the sound" while waiting in our driving groups. I would like to think that as ICE cars die off, the world will get much quieter and the VSP feature 5-10 years from now can be very subtle to do its job. Is it true that the VSP does not engage until you are moving? I would think it should be engaged when the car is put in Drive or Reverse since it is supposed to be a "warning".

Yodrak said:
The point being, even if you believe that the other person is at fault, and even if you're right that the other person is at fault, if you weren't doing everything that you could have done to avoid the situation then you are open to sharing the blame for what happens. That's the way it is, so deal with it and accept a little noise so that you'll have one more point on your side if the time comes that you need it.
I am no lawyer, but I suspect that we wouldn't get even "one more point" on our side in this instance. If I hit a pedestrian --blind, sighted, listening to an iPod, talking on a cell phone, or just plain stupid--, whether or not my vehicle has VSP will not matter one iota to the courts: *I* would take all the blame. I just can't imagine a judge ruling: "Oh... well... since your vehicle has VSP, and the plaintiff stepped off the curb anyway... not guilty!" Nissan might be off the litigious hook, but not the driver.

People do not move out of the path of my truck. They are oblivious or feel entitled to the roadway. The Leaf noise will not help them.
Although if it saves one tragedy anywhere with a child it is well worth having.

I didn't mean to imply that one would be of the hook, only that one would have a stronger arguement for their side. Could be a factor influencing the level of an award.

I agree with you that, if one hits someone, they're in big trouble especially if the someone is injured. But the trouble is potentially bigger if the driver was running silent when they could have had the VSP on. Turning the VSP off could take the insurance company as well as Nissan off the hook?

Yanquetino said:
I am no lawyer, but I suspect that we wouldn't get even "one more point" on our side in this instance. If I hit a pedestrian --blind, sighted, listening to an iPod, talking on a cell phone, or just plain stupid--, whether or not my vehicle has VSP will not matter one iota to the courts: *I* would take all the blame. I just can't imagine a judge ruling: "Oh... well... since your vehicle has VSP, and the plaintiff stepped off the curb anyway... not guilty!" Nissan might be off the litigious hook, but not the driver.

Yodrak said:
I didn't mean to imply that one would be of the hook, only that one would have a stronger arguement for their side. Could be a factor influencing the level of an award.

I agree with you that, if one hits someone, they're in big trouble especially if the someone is injured. But the trouble is potentially bigger if the driver was running silent when they could have had the VSP on. Turning the VSP off could take the insurance company as well as Nissan off the hook?
This makes me wonder. My current car is surprisingly quiet at low speeds. Maybe I should remove its muffler..? Then, if an oblivious pedestrian steps off the curb in front of me, I would have a stronger argument, the court would give me a more lenient sentence, and the level of award be less. ;)

Or, driving illegally (without a muffler), even though it had nothing to do with running over that pedestrian three times, your insurance might not pay, and you might get hung even higher by the ba ... thumbs! ;)

garygid said:
Or, driving illegally (without a muffler), even though it had nothing to do with running over that pedestrian three times, your insurance might not pay, and you might get hung even higher by the ba ... thumbs! ;)
:D MIght as well go for broke, then, and run over that pedestrian four, five, six times! :D

And herein lies the irony of all this:

* The LAW mandates mufflers on cars to make them quieter.
* The LAW then mandates VSPs on cars to make them noisier.

Too noisy? Hung by the... thumbs. Too quiet? Hung by the... thumbs. Goldilocks is sitting on the bench.

What a world... what a world... :roll:

A lot of people in my area - teenagers primarily - seem to have done that. But I don't think they did it with pedestrians in mind. In fact, I think it's an indication that they don't have any concern for anyone - pedestrians or otherwise.

Yanquetino said:
This makes me wonder. My current car is surprisingly quiet at low speeds. Maybe I should remove its muffler..? Then, if an oblivious pedestrian steps off the curb in front of me, I would have a stronger argument, the court would give me a more lenient sentence, and the level of award be less. ;)

That's not irony, it's searching for a reasonable middle ground where people can be aware but not annoyed. An impossible achievement, given that everyone has their own individual preferences, as this thread confirms, but a noble endeavor anyway!

In any case, the law does not mandate that VSP make an EV louder than a properly muffled ICE vehicle, so there's nothing inconsistent between the two mandates.

Yanquetino said:
And herein lies the irony of all this:

* The LAW mandates mufflers on cars to make them quieter.
* The LAW then mandates VSPs on cars to make them noisier.

Since 1895 we have had problems assimilating electric cars into society or is this the original EV Hood Ornament?

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9505E1DC133BE633A2575AC0A9649C946296D6CF

Yodrak said:
That's not irony, it's searching for a reasonable middle ground where people can be aware but not annoyed. An impossible achievement, given that everyone has their own individual preferences, as this thread confirms, but a noble endeavor anyway!

In any case, the law does not mandate that VSP make an EV louder than a properly muffled ICE vehicle, so there's nothing inconsistent between the two mandates.
I'm not so sure. If our illustrious lawmakers really wanted to mandate a "middle ground," they would not legislate mufflers or VSP, but rather a necessary decibel range for all vehicles --no matter their drivetrain. They haven't done that with VSP. Instead, they target only EVs and hybrids, and completely ignore that there are many ICE cars that just as "quiet" at low speed and thus pose an equal "danger" to oblivious pedestrians.

I'm still going to ask them to turn it on at the Test Drive. That's a good part of the reason I'm there -- to hear the car as I would drive it. If they won't turn it on, then why? And can I also turn it off when I own the car?

It is possible that the Test-Drive cars either do not have the "warning" noise installed, or it has been "disconnected".

I could not hear it.

Try shifting into Reverse, and listen for the "Backup Warning" noise.

garygid said:
It is possible that the Test-Drive cars either do not have the "warning" noise installed, or it has been "disconnected".
Hmmm ... I wonder how one might "do that" ... "temporarily", you know? At least until the lease is up. :lol: Or until it goes in for service. :roll:

LEAFer said:
garygid said:
Hmmm ... I wonder how one might "do that" ... "temporarily", you know? At least until the lease is up. :lol: Or until it goes in for service. :roll:

I'm hoping they keep the switch on the car because sometimes it may be necessary, and sometimes, like in traffic jams, it should be off.

GroundLoop said:
I'm still going to ask them to turn it on at the Test Drive. That's a good part of the reason I'm there -- to hear the car as I would drive it. If they won't turn it on, then why? And can I also turn it off when I own the car?

From this Nissan press release:

The system is controlled through a computer and synthesizer in the dash panel, and the sound is delivered through a speaker in the engine compartment. A switch inside the vehicle can turn off sounds temporarily. The system automatically resets to “On” at the next ignition cycle.

I don't get all the objections to the VSP. I have normal hearing and vision, yet I had a close encounter with Prius in a parking lot when it was coasting silently into a parking space in the (I thought) empty parking lot I was cutting across. We modern humans are programmed that moving vehicles make noise, just like our ancient ancestors where programmed to the sound of a charging rhino or tiger. How many human injuries will it take to reprogram humans that some vehicles are silent? It seems that reprogramming the EV to make a human recognizable sound is a whole lot easier, and involves a whole lot less bloodshed.

charlie1300 said:
I don't get all the objections to the VSP. I have normal hearing and vision, yet I had a close encounter with Prius in a parking lot when it was coasting silently into a parking space in the (I thought) empty parking lot I was cutting across. We modern humans are programmed that moving vehicles make noise, just like our ancient ancestors where programmed to the sound of a charging rhino or tiger. How many human injuries will it take to reprogram humans that some vehicles are silent? It seems that reprogramming the EV to make a human recognizable sound is a whole lot easier, and involves a whole lot less bloodshed.

Watch out...a month or two I said I was almost taken out by a silent Prius and I was torn to shreds.

Back