Nissan says I can't buy a new battery pack even if I want to

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
problem with all this is he states his GID count was 243 which was measured when it was still warm but that does not pencil out. if this was the case, then he is using about 195 GID or 3.0 GID/ mile now, he states he is getting good performance (which i verified is not that tough to get. we must have "easy" roads here...) so if that was the case, then his range despite what the GOM says would be around 77 miles and at his current rate of degradation (lost 38
GID over 55,000 miles or about a GID per 1447 miles) is still pencils out to over 100,000 miles....

if we calculate his time to VLB he will have about 85,000 miles which i think is NOT RIGHT. i "have" to think his GID count to full is currently higher than the 243.

so, now you got it. what is wrong with the math here?
I'm sorry, I don't follow at all. Why would the reported Gid count not pencil out? The 3.0 Gid per mile you seem to question equates to approximately 4.4 miles/kWh. Steve is reporting 4.43 miles/kWh per dash, averaged from 3 trips over 183 miles. That's pretty close, wouldn't you say? The 3.3 Gid per mile you seem to prefer equates to 3.8 miles/kWh.

well, he "should" be getting at least 7% loss of capacity due to cold weather (at least that is what i am seeing...more like 10%) which is the part that seems to be missing.

now, i drove from Seattle to Tumwater this afternoon and unfortunately the weather did not cooperate (it was sunny) so i have to say my driving 65 miles and only using 162 GID has to be tossed as not typical. add to that a 10-15 mile crawl between 10-30 mph messing things up as well but i wanted to see how my pack compared to a trip of similar length...the test failed

the morning drive which was dark and foggy only used 194 GID for 63 miles but also stuck in traffic

epic said:
thought the pack had an 80,000 mile warrenty?

warranty is good for defects, not degradation. the battery is a "wear item"

its like an 80,000 mile warranty on a tire. if it wears out at 60,000 miles, they are not gonna give you another tire but if you have a blow out at 30,000 miles not due to road hazzards that would be a defect. the tire was not worn out and did not perform as expected.

DaveinOlyWA said:
well, he "should" be getting at least 7% loss of capacity due to cold weather (at least that is what i am seeing...more like 10%) which is the part that seems to be missing.
First time Steve commented about 13% loss of range was in late August. I doubt that it was cold enough then for the weather to play any role in this. He keeps very detailed records, and should have comparable numbers from last October, if it was of interest. Probably better than making assumptions about what the car should do.

surfingslovak said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
First time Steve commented about 13% loss of range was in late August. I doubt that it was cold enough then for the weather to play any role in this. He keeps very detailed records, and should have comparable numbers from last October, if it was of interest. Probably better than making assumptions about what the car should do.

right which is why i contend his GID count is probably higher now. although we have cooler weather in Summer, its still warm enough to affect readings. i was averaging 272-275 in Summer but now getting a relatively consistent 279-280 including a 281 yesterday (first 100% in nearly 2 weeks)

so it possible that his GID loss is not 38 but closer to say 30. the other thing is using his entire odo reading to extrapolate his future loss which is probably not valid. with his high mileage and mild temps if we assume most of his loss is due to cycling another possible measurement might be to assume no losses for first say 25,000 miles or what have you meaning his 38 GID loss would be calculated over the last 30,000 miles making a loss of 789 miles per GID. now he is currently finishing his commute at LBW (48 GID) so he would have another 18,947 miles estimated before he starts finishing his commute at VLB.

either way, i am glad he has provided us with this level of information and getting more might be the way to go. he is close enough to me. i think i will arrange a meet with him and let him gather a week of charge data with my SOC meter

is there anyone else here that has over say at least 40,000 miles that we can compare with?

**edit** ok talked to TaylorSF today and dropped off SOC meter for him to track his commute for a week or so. I have him track

GID count at full charge
Battery TBs and ambient temps
Miles driven
GID count at end of commute.

hopefully we can use this to compare what he measured in August. i am thinking probably not enough info from Aug so will probably have him borrow it again in say Feb or so

another thing; he is actually at VLB... so he really only has 16 GID left... not nearly as good as I thought.

Well, battery modules have been replaced under warranty, and the
"price" listed on the repair invoice.

If the part, not the labor, was $500, that's only $24,000 for the 48 modules.
Then, add in another $5000 for the box and all of the electronics that it
contains, and it costs more than a new car (after federal tax credit).

As replacement parts, the Battery Pack is likely to be Very Expensive.

Rather than spend so much on a new battery, why not just trade in your leaf for a new leaf 24 month lease? If you lease, then you can change cars every two years and won't have to worry about the battery. I bet the lease, even with the extra miles, will cost less than the depreciation.

Back