Nissan shutting out third-party apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
We're almost at 100 signatures. If we get there, I believe President Obama will challenge Carlos Ghosn to wrestling in those padded Sumo suits. :)

I think I'd pay to see that. :lol:

What happens when it hits 100? Does a politely worded letter get sent to Nissan along with an enclosed envelope for their equally polite but pointless refusal to acquiesce?

It's probably the same lawyers that insisted on the OK-to-use-my-car button.

Nissan Lawyer: "Carlos, someone could steal a password and uh... and uh... figure out how many Eco Trees that person has produced! Where is the privacy!?"

TomT said:
... the many upsides... Even in areas such as yours, TMS has many advantages... And it would certainly go a long way to quieting the never-ending and vocal complaints about battery degradation in the Leaf...

Like what advantages? Other than quieting the complaints from hot areas? And the right way to do that would be to have TMS as an option, or even as a different car. Not as standard equipment.

Honestly, I can't think of any.

Yes, if I was likely to do DCQC often, but I don't. I think that if you need DCQC often you perhaps shouldn't have bought a Leaf.

Yes, if I charged in the heat of the day in a sunny location, but I charge at night, and the garage is fairly cool.

Yes, if I needed the larger AC for the heat waves up here. The few days that are over 80F are brutal. :roll: Ok, not really.

TMS would perhaps shorten my battery life. Why again do I want one?

turbo2ltr said:
"...no one in the US is yet paying for a Carwings subscription.

I think turbo2ltr may have hit the nail on the head here. By eliminating 3rd-party options, could this be an attempt to lock owner/lessee users into the Carwings eco-system? And would that make it more likely these users would pay a fee for the "service" after the free period expires? This action to me seems very self-protective and a pre-cursor to a new revenue stream. But that's just paranoid me.

SalisburySam said:
turbo2ltr said:
"...no one in the US is yet paying for a Carwings subscription.

I think turbo2ltr may have hit the nail on the head here. By eliminating 3rd-party options, could this be an attempt to lock owner/lessee users into the Carwings eco-system? And would that make it more likely these users would pay a fee for the "service" after the free period expires? This action to me seems very self-protective and a pre-cursor to a new revenue stream. But that's just paranoid me.

No I wouldn't say that. The 3rd Party apps cannot operate without CarWings, there is no other eco-system. I would say Nissan have hurt potential revenue from CarWings by limiting app choice. Who would buy an iPhone with no 3rd party apps? Not many I guess. Apple resisted the 3rd party apps initially with the iPhone, but never looked back and cashed in big time once they created a market for 3rd party apps. If Nissan are readying an app market place all well and good, bit I very much doubt that. They just don't get it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if part of this decision is in response to the less than favorable feedback this forum has been giving Nissan lately…

Yeah, "If you don't like me, I'm going to take my ball and play somewhere else!"

FairwoodRed said:
It wouldn’t surprise me if part of this decision is in response to the less than favorable feedback this forum has been giving Nissan lately…

I have two bones to pick on this subject:

In May, Nissan announced that it would be selling LEAF data to app developers: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/14/nissan-plans-to-make-leaf-data-available-to-app-developers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

My insurance renewal for the Leaf came yesterday (reminding me we're coming up on two years). It included a flyer letting me know I could qualify for yet another discount if I had an onboard telematic system (OnStar, InDrive and Sync) and agreed to authorize the service to share the data with the insurance company. This jibes with what Nissan announced last May.

I think this has nothing to do with our privacy (OAuth can take care of that), and everything to do with monetizing our data. If the API is open and free, and anyone can get data, they can't sell it. This appears to be another instance of Nissan telling us a story to avoid the truth.

In addition to being cut off from remote access (I am a Windows Phone user who relied on a third party app in the absence of an official one), I also take strong issue with Nissan's bullying attitude:

1. As instructed in the "newsletter" email, I tweeted my concerns to @NissanSupport. At the time there were a half-dozen similar tweets on their page. Within the hour, they locked down their page to show only threads with responses. No responses to our tweets=they never happened.
2. I sent an email to the support address, and got a canned response that everyone else who wrote got, telling me to download the "official" app. They clearly didn't read my email where I noted there is no official app. I responded that the website takes 6 minutes to connect to my car, but have had no response in over 24 hours.
3. One FB group member reported that he called the support line and asked for contact information of the person responsible for the app team. They put him on hold and then dropped the call.

As a Windows Phone user, this affects how I can use my car; but this is not just about me: it's about an open platform that had generated a lot of interest--witness the number of third-party apps that improved on Nissan's "official" app. To squelch that enthusiasm, and then to further suppress people talking about it in public, is a massively stupid PR move for any company. Especially when you consider how many of us have EVangelized and sent sales their way.

If any of you have any sway/ear at Nissan, I suggest you let them know they need to backpedal. Now.

Have all of you signed the petition? I do intend to send it to Nissan:

https://www.change.org/petitions/nissan-motor-corporation-usa-reverse-the-decision-restricting-the-use-of-third-party-apps-for-carwings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ACTranslation said:
I think this has nothing to do with our privacy (OAuth can take care of that), and everything to do with monetizing our data. If the API is open and free, and anyone can get data, they can't sell it. This appears to be another instance of Nissan telling us a story to avoid the truth.

You hit the nail on the head, they want to monetize that data.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility for Nissan to have a 'find my car' feature in the official app, like apple do with their products at using iCloud. Initially I was puzzled by the lack of that feature, if you can get battery charge level sent the car can easily send its last known GPS coordinates. I was puzzled that is until I saw a product for sale for the Nissan ICE cars that allowed one to find your car, it wasn't cheap. If they want us to subscribe to CarWings, they'll need to add some features.

FairwoodRed said:

It's not.

Just had a chat w Nissan, who just called before even seeing the missives I sent yesterday on this, because they'd seen the driver reaction and wanted to make sure I knew they were on it. It sounds like this was more of a left hand/right hand issue in terms of one team taking an action w/o coordinating w others on the bigger picture (I know, this never happens in large companies!) The gist of the conversation though, was that they've definitely seen the comments in multiple locations (twitter, fb, here...) and the EV team is looking into the core issue that triggered this and what can be done to balance whatever privacy issues there are while preserving access to at least the 3rd parties on whom you guys rely the most. I have encouraged them to reach out directly to the admins of the GreenCharge and LEAF Link apps asap to discuss the policy and whatever flexibility/access might be allowed within it. Additionally of course, I suggested that they gather input from you guys here and shore up the Carwings app directly- they are aware that its deficiencies are the main reason you guys are going elsewhere.

evchels said:
I have encouraged them to reach out directly to the admins of the GreenCharge and LEAF Link apps asap to discuss the policy and whatever flexibility/access might be allowed within it.

There is no Window Phone official application. Would you please add Leaf Commander to the list to reach out to?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/leaf-commander/4c1e80a1-575b-4028-b304-8290c146516e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I have nothing to do with Leaf Commander other than having bought it and use it).

Related: I am almost ready to start a thread begging someone to figure out how to control my LEAF's charger, climate, and remotely display data on my phone via bluetooth.

There is almost no way I want to use carwings if I have to pay for it... I have enough trouble with it as free.

WetEV said:
evchels said:
I have encouraged them to reach out directly to the admins of the GreenCharge and LEAF Link apps asap to discuss the policy and whatever flexibility/access might be allowed within it.

There is no Window Phone official application. Would you please add Leaf Commander to the list to reach out to?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/leaf-commander/4c1e80a1-575b-4028-b304-8290c146516e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I have nothing to do with Leaf Commander other than having bought it and use it).

Sure thing- didn't mean to leave anyone out! If someone has a direct contact to someone behind the LC app, that would be helpful too.

Well unless my system is having a brain fart, they shut it off. I cannot connect with GreenCharge or LEAF Link now. However I can still connect through the Nissan leaf app, so I don't think it's on my end.

KillaWhat said:
Well unless my system is having a brain fart, they shut it off. I cannot connect with GreenCharge or LEAF Link now. However I can still connect through the Nissan leaf app, so I don't think it's on my end.

Ok, now it's back ?????

Back