Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
this almost deserves its own thread but Campbell Nissan in Edmonds, WA threatens to be the first nationwide to be available per Nissan's original statement.
DCQC is up and running.
For now we are limited to the authorization via key fob. We are working towards having the charger open 24/7 to ALL Nissan Leaf customers. This will mean you can plug and go w/out using the fob from a CamNel employee. This is new territory for Aerovironment to configure a DCQC in that manner. We should have an answer by Wed.
For now...come and plug in anytime during business hours!(regardless of where you purchased your Leaf) :)
they dont mention that AV has remote turn capability that does not require a FOB as long as their shaky communication protocol is working
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=461223497287516&set=a.149088548501014.37536.138670052876197&type=3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice to see that at least one dealer in USA is doing the right thing.

Burien Nissan in WA has their DCFC up now.

What I was told:
1) It will be open to anyone that wants to use it (no matter where you bought your car)
2) It will be FREE for now (didn't sound like there were plans to charge people in the near future)
3) You will be able to use your own RFID tag (if you have one) - NOT CURRENTLY FUNCTIONAL (comm network not configured yet; I got a "denied" message when I tried mine, but it's the first time I've used the dongle so it could also have been that it wasn't configured correctly)
4) You will be able to call into a toll free number to start the charger - not sure if this part was functional today or not (I didn't notice a number)
5) You can get someone in the dealership to bring a fob out to start the charger - Sign on the unit says this is how it's working today.

I think there are 2 (maybe 3) spots on the side the building dedicated for Leafs. They have 2 L2 units available today. as well as this one DCFC. Leaf owners are free to use the L2 units too (standard AV units, no fob/card needed).

Same config as this (Sumitomo) - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11426&start=380#p285938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you were to look up above these fans (at the top of the unit), you'd see an overhang on the top of the unit. But basically these fans are exposed to the elements. Seems like an odd design to me.

Edit: Removed comment about Tesla using DCFC

ITestStuff said:

What I was told:
1) It will be open to anyone that wants to use it (currently Nissan or Tesla owners)
Tesla?!?!? At the moment, CHAdeMO chargers are useless for Teslas are none of them have such a port. Great offer! :)

They could use J1772 w/an adapter...

cwerdna said:
Tesla?!?!? At the moment, CHAdeMO chargers are useless for Teslas are none of them have such a port. Great offer! :)
While we both knew they didn't have the CHAdeMO port, we also both assumed that there was an adapter available. Further investigation says this isn't correct. So I've edited my post. Thanks!

This morning I charged at the Cerritos DCQC. I was pleased to find the parking spot in front of the unit clear, but I was somewhat concerned when I went inside. Judy, my contact, was not expected in the office for several hours, and the lead sales guy (not the sales manager), kept asking me: "So you want to buy a Leaf?" "No sir, I have owned my Leaf for 2 years. I just want a Quick Charge. Does anyone other than Judy have the fob to activate it?" Eventually someone who might have been the General Manager came out with a fob, and I proceeded to charge without difficulty. I thanked everyone before I left.

Later this afternoon I called Judy and thanked her, and I gave her the following stats: The Blink DCQC at the Air Quality Management District Office in Diamond Bar (25 miles away), which has been operational about 6 months, gets used about 5 times a day, according to their security office. The Eaton unit at Mitshubishi HQ in Cypress (8 miles), which has been operational for about 2 years, and used to be the only DCQC in the whole area, seems to be in almost continuous use from morning to late at night. Hopefully she got the message that they need to have streamlined procedures for activating the unit.

Here are photos of my car charging at Fontana on Monday and Cerritos today. The installation at Glendale was very similar, with the unit sharing the same spaces as the J1772 plugs. At both Glendale and Cerritos, a customer's car was being charged on the L2. In both cases I verified that the cars did not have QC ports. At Glendale the car's owner told me that he had been told by his salesman that he did not have a QC port because he had a 2012, and the QC port would not be available until 2013! It is amazing what sales folks will say.

IMG_0129-L.jpg

IMG_0133-L.jpg

ITestStuff said:

What I was told:
1) It will be open to anyone that wants to use it (no matter where you bought your car)
2) It will be FREE for now (didn't sound like there were plans to charge people in the near future)
3) You will be able to use your own RFID tag (if you have one) - NOT CURRENTLY FUNCTIONAL (comm network not configured yet; I got a "denied" message when I tried mine, but it's the first time I've used the dongle so it could also have been that it wasn't configured correctly)
4) You will be able to call into a toll free number to start the charger - not sure if this part was functional today or not (I didn't notice a number)
5) You can get someone in the dealership to bring a fob out to start the charger - Sign on the unit says this is how it's working today.

I think there are 2 (maybe 3) spots on the side the building dedicated for Leafs. They have 2 L2 units available today. as well as this one DCFC. Leaf owners are free to use the L2 units too (standard AV units, no fob/card needed).

Same config as this (Sumitomo) - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11426&start=380#p285938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you were to look up above these fans (at the top of the unit), you'd see an overhang on the top of the unit. But basically these fans are exposed to the elements. Seems like an odd design to me.

how did you get your RFID tag and who issued it?

ITestStuff said:
cwerdna said:
While we both knew they didn't have the CHAdeMO port, we also both assumed that there was an adapter available. Further investigation says this isn't correct. So I've edited my post. Thanks!
There have been rumors of Tesla developing of a CHAdeMO adapter, esp. for the Japanese market.

Even GeorgeB of Tesla has discussed such adapters, on camera (see video at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8173-Europe-Future-Charging-for-Model-S-1-phase-or-3-phase-%28Part-2%29/page26?p=268598&viewfull=1#post268598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, maybe start watching at ~0:43). I don't know its current status. So, for now, it seems like just vaporware.

cwerdna said:
ITestStuff said:
cwerdna said:
There have been rumors of Tesla developing of a CHAdeMO adapter, esp. for the Japanese market.

Even GeorgeB of Tesla has discussed such adapters, on camera (see video at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8173-Europe-Future-Charging-for-Model-S-1-phase-or-3-phase-%28Part-2%29/page26?p=268598&viewfull=1#post268598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, maybe start watching at ~0:43). I don't know its current status. So, for now, it seems like just vaporware.

if tesla doesnt do it, someone will. just not sure it can be done at a reasonable price though. the parts are still pretty spendy. would it be worth paying big $$ when you might have a Tesla charger up in your neighborhood in the next few years?

So I cruised around almost 164 miles today, QC'd at Carson, Connell, and Downtown LA. I was hoping to get away with 2 QC sessions but I was running late because of bad southbound traffic on 405 this morning and had to leave Carson before charging stopped, and then I was pushing 75mph all the way to Newport Beach. Fortunately I didn't see battery temp above 6 bars, which is where it was when I left home this morning. Wanted to stop at Cerritos but it didn't work out. DCQC in Carson is flaky, when I arrived it showed an error message, and then it took several attempts to get the charging started.

Here is something that I noticed today, the DCQC chargers are rated only to -10C, at least the ones we get here. Works fine for SoCal, but unless Nissan has a different model rated for lower temps it may explain why there are no deployments in the North.

298204_10151572362859795_1024283343_n.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
ITestStuff said:

What I was told:

Hi, I have the same question as Dave.
How does one apply for these RFID tags for the use of Nissan Chademo chargers?

Thx.

mxp said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ITestStuff said:

What I was told:

Hi, I have the same question as Dave.

Thx.

I talked to a salesman at Downtown LA Nissan about this today. He said for first 3 months, the access will be with dealer's fob only. After that, there may be a way for consumers to have a card for access. He was not sure.

At the LEAF promotional event at Downtown Nissan last weekend, I spoke with the AeroVironment Project Manager responsible for deployment of the QC stations for Nissan and, I believe, other Sumitomo QC's in So. Cal and previously in Hawaii. On his laptop, he showed me a portal at www.evnet.avinc.com/evportal where the status of Nissan QC's and other networked charging stations can be monitored in real time for operational status. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to know (or didn't want to say) how to gain access, set up an account, etc. (My impression was it was the first case, and that someone else had set up the access for him.)

I also asked him about the odd external cooling fan exposure on the QC units, and he said that was one of the first things AeroVironment looked at when evaluating and testing these Sumitomo boxes, before deciding to sell and support them. He said they performed very demanding tests and complete teardowns of the units, subjecting them to extreme climate and temperature conditions, including sustained subzero conditions, before deciding they were extremely rugged and reliable. He told me the fans appeared not to be a problem despite their apparent vulnerability. Hope those promises are fulfilled over time.

I am looking into how to set up an account for the portal mentioned above in order to have real time access to the QC units' availability. Apparently there is a fair amount of data available, including current amp and voltage output, if we can just get to it.

EDIT: Just called AeroVironment/EVSolutions support. Told by an engineer who sounded like he was close to the project that this initiative is in progress and nearing completion, so that real-time access should be available before too long. He did NOT, however, have any knowledge regarding plans to allow Nissan QC users to have fobs or RFID cards of their own. If anyone wants to dig further into this, AV/EVSolutions can be reached at 888-833-2148.

Kataphn said:
I talked to a salesman at Downtown LA Nissan about this today. He said for first 3 months, the access will be with dealer's fob only. After that, there may be a way for consumers to have a card for access. He was not sure.

what kind of FOB is it? is it AV or a specialized FOB for dealers only. There is one WA resident who mentioned he has one.

timhebb said:
At the LEAF promotional event at Downtown Nissan last weekend, I spoke with the AeroVironment Project Manager responsible for deployment of the QC stations for Nissan and, I believe, other Sumitomo QC's in So. Cal and previously in Hawaii. On his laptop, he showed me a portal at www.evnet.avinc.com/evportal where the status of Nissan QC's and other networked charging stations can be monitored in real time for operational status. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to know (or didn't want to say) how to gain access, set up an account, etc. (My impression was it was the first case, and that someone else had set up the access for him.)

I also asked him about the odd external cooling fan exposure on the QC units, and he said that was one of the first things AeroVironment looked at when evaluating and testing these Sumitomo boxes, before deciding to sell and support them. He said they performed very demanding tests and complete teardowns of the units, subjecting them to extreme climate and temperature conditions, including sustained subzero conditions, before deciding they were extremely rugged and reliable. He told me the fans appeared not to be a problem despite their apparent vulnerability. Hope those promises are fulfilled over time.

I am looking into how to set up an account for the portal mentioned above in order to have real time access to the QC units' availability. Apparently there is a fair amount of data available, including current amp and voltage output, if we can just get to it.

EDIT: Just called AeroVironment/EVSolutions support. Told by an engineer who sounded like he was close to the project that this initiative is in progress and nearing completion, so that real-time access should be available before too long. He did NOT, however, have any knowledge regarding plans to allow Nissan QC users to have fobs or RFID cards of their own. If anyone wants to dig further into this, AV/EVSolutions can be reached at 888-833-2148.

now all they have to do is get their communication protocol to work reliably.

the Tumwater AV DCFC has been unable to communicate for almost a month now. at least you can still get a charge from it

Just received this additional reply from AeroVironment by email. Nice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. Hebb,
Thank you for your inquiry and follow up phone call. I am going to follow up with our Nissan DC QC charging station team to see if we can set up customers to view chargers. I will follow up with you.

Thank you,

Edgar Soto
AeroVironment, Inc.
Customer Service Technician
Efficient Energy Systems

[email protected]

AeroVironment (888) 833-2148
Direct: (626) 357-9983 ext. 411
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So My AV Fob Will Work? Well That Would Be Cool. That Means I Could Charge Without Asking For Permission? Hmmmm, Definitely Too Convenient To Believe
ITestStuff said:
mxp said:
http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/subscriber_network/57

That's how I got an RFID tag from AeroVironment.

ITestStuff said:
mxp said:

Thanks for the link. I live in California, but the AV networks seems to only focus on Washington state, Oregon state and Hawaii. Should I still apply for a Fob anyways?

mxp said:
ITestStuff said:
mxp said:

Thanks for the link. I live in California, but the AV networks seems to only focus on Washington state, Oregon state and Hawaii. Should I still apply for a Fob anyways?
oh yes definitely! they are free and AV is "supposed" to be installing some chargers in CA eventually. and besides, the Pacific Northwest is an awesome place to visit!

The Nissan Dealer DCQC units are not part of the AV network, and the AV RFID fobs will not work with the Nissan units. AV was contracted by Nissan to do the installations of the Dealer QC units, but that is all.

Most dealers will have a process that someone from either the sales or service desk will need to come out and unlock the unit for use, but some dealers are looking into just having the QC units unlocked and ready for use by customers.

At some point in the future, the Nissan units may be part of one of the monitoring networks that are out there, but not initially.

Back