Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
LeftieBiker said:
Do these QC stations also have L2 capability, or are they QC only?

QC only, however they are currently being added at Nissan dealerships, and most already have L2 chargers in place.

Thanks for the quick answer. I don't use QC and would rather they worked on making existing stations accessible 24/7, but I'm not holding my breath for that, and there are more and more L2 stations going up in public locations in my area.

ASP said:
Hi everyone, I just signed up for the forum but I've been lurking for a while. ;) Might be getting a LEAF within the next few weeks, and I was wondering if there was any news on the possibility of a Quick/CHadEMO charger at the Nissan dealer in Chico, CA?
I don't recall any, but you might call the dealership up and ask directly. Can't hurt if they know there's interest.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the Tumwater AV DCFC has been unable to communicate for almost a month now. at least you can still get a charge from it
Haven't been by for a couple of weeks. Just went today - and it is not working at all - couldn't engage QC. Called and apparently others have reported problem with this unit as well. Tech lives in Mukilteo. Not likely to make the drive down on a Friday night but hopefully it comes back up in the next few days. I'm stuck at work for an extra few hours.

I realize this doesn't fit under Thread title but when searching for Tumwater it came up and it is relevant to previous posts.

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
my whole point exactly. Nissan seems to have stopped putting them in...
Tony recently said that all the San Diego Mossy dealerships will be getting them - I guess I should add those.

Only four of seven... Oceanside, National City, Kearny Mesa, and Poway (it's there right now).
As of yesterday (6/13/13) Mossy Kearny Mesa did not have as QC station.

TaylorSFGuy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
the Tumwater AV DCFC has been unable to communicate for almost a month now. at least you can still get a charge from it
Haven't been by for a couple of weeks. Just went today - and it is not working at all - couldn't engage QC. Called and apparently others have reported problem with this unit as well. Tech lives in Mukilteo. Not likely to make the drive down on a Friday night but hopefully it comes back up in the next few days. I'm stuck at work for an extra few hours.

I realize this doesn't fit under Thread title but when searching for Tumwater it came up and it is relevant to previous posts.

its not? oh oh. I know its slow to connect due to the communication error but I have always gotten a charge.

Stopped by and used the DCQC at AutoNation Nissan in Hawthorne today. Convenient to my office, for sure. But I wouldn't need to charge there too often. However, today I really jammed into work, and tomorrow I need to do a round-trip to Santa Monica from here, plus my normal commute. So it just happens that I'll need it twice this week.

The charging situation up front at this very busy dealership is the DCQC and a pair of AV L2 chargers. The entrance to the dealership is directly facing the driveway from off of Hindry Ave. So, of course, one spot in front of the DCQC was ICE'd (with a dealership vehicle, as it happened); the two L2 chargers had what looked to be a dealer demo LEAF and a used inventory LEAF in front of them; and an owner was ahead of me in the last remaining spot facing the DCQC. Fortunately, he was just finishing up and returning to leave, so I was golden for that one spot.

The dealership itself was very accommodating. One of the guys saw me pulling into the now empty spot and went to get the activation fob for me. He even hooked me up and started the charging session for me (though I would have preferred to get the practice myself, truth be told).

After a few minutes, someone else came and moved the Nissan Quest to another part of the lot. I don't know if he was planning to move all along, or if he was embarrassed into moving it. I didn't say anything about the Quest being there, either before or after it was gone, and the employee who moved it didn't interact with me, so I couldn't say for sure what the motivation was. Either way, it was nice of them to get it out of there.

I was there for about 15 minutes, going from around 50% charged to 80% charged. Output throttled back to around 35A once I'd gotten to 80%, and I didn't need any more. I was much happier when the car was pulling 70A+. So my plan for tomorrow is two short sessions - one on the way up to SM and one on the return, rather than one longer session.

Here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

• photo34.JPG
    photo34.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 83
  • photo36.JPG
    photo36.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 83
  • photo35.JPG
    photo35.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 83
mwalsh said:
I was much happier when the car was pulling 70A+.
70A+ :?: Are you sure? I thought the CHAdeMO spec was limited to 50A and the car was limited to 48A (2C). You're talking 3C, which is really getting up there.

Ray

Edit: Crazy nonsense, every word of it. I was mixing amps and kilowatts.

planet4ever said:
Are you sure? I thought the CHAdeMO spec was limited to 50A and the car was limited to 48A (2C). You're talking 3C, which is really getting up there.

Yes. I even wrote it down, because I thought, "Ooh!". It was pushing 73A at one point. Or at least that's what the screen said - 73A / 394V. I may have a really bad pic on my iPhone (poor contrast on the LCD), let me check and see.

Edit: Yeah, I'll have to post the pic tomorrow. I can see 72A in the pic (barely) because I know where to look and what it looked like. But you must be mistaken about the max the car can take. I was just looking at some of the EV Oasis launch pics I have, and even that unit was pushing 60A / 392V.

Edit 2: this thread has a pic of the same kind of charger pushing all 106A the charger is capable of delivering into a LEAF:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
I was much happier when the car was pulling 70A+.
70A+ :?: Are you sure? I thought the CHAdeMO spec was limited to 50A and the car was limited to 48A (2C). You're talking 3C, which is really getting up there.

Ray

not 48 amps, 48 KW or 48,000 Watts or 120 Amps @ 400 volts

I had a good experience at Tustin Nissan last weekend, twice. 2 QC-only stalls with good signage, charger in the back with lots of space around to maneuver, courteous staff, someone is out quickly with the fob after inquiring at the receptionist's desk. QC was free but they are considering to start charging a nominal fee sometime in the future if you bought your Leaf elsewhere. Sounds like it is going to be a common practice.

mwalsh said:
Nubo said:
So, where are we; how many out of 500?

Looks like we have 9 Nissan installed ones in SoCal. Can't take the time to count the rest of the country. :)
Throw in Azusa, Diamond Bar, SJC, Thousand Oaks, Riverside, Downtown LA... We've come a LONG way in just a few months. Even though I barely got a chance to use it on Joulee3, I'm a bit more comfortable with having paid the extra $700 back in 2011.

GregH said:
mwalsh said:
Nubo said:

Looks like we have 9 Nissan installed ones in SoCal. Can't take the time to count the rest of the country. :)
Throw in Azusa, Diamond Bar, SJC, Thousand Oaks, Riverside, Downtown LA... We've come a LONG way in just a few months. Even though I barely got a chance to use it on Joulee3, I'm a bit more comfortable with having paid the extra $700 back in 2011.

I only mentioned the Nissan ones in the context of the thread. But, yes, there are a few more.

I will have Quick Charged 4 times this week, by the time we're through Sunday. That's more than I've Quick Charged in the whole of the last 2.5 years thus far. Or at least it's more times for a real reason (like needing the range) rather than "it was there, so I used it". Also feeling better about my $700 investment! :D

mwalsh said:
GregH said:
mwalsh said:

I only mentioned the Nissan ones in the context of the thread. But, yes, there are a few more.

I will have Quick Charged 4 times this week, by the time we're through Sunday. That's more than I've Quick Charged in the whole of the last 2.5 years thus far. Or at least it's more times for a real reason (like needing the range) rather than "it was there, so I used it". Also feeling better about my $700 investment! :D

Watch those battery temps if you're DCQCing this weekend! It's supposed to be a scorcher..

GregH said:
mwalsh said:
Nubo said:

Throw in Azusa, Diamond Bar, SJC, Thousand Oaks, Riverside, Downtown LA... We've come a LONG way in just a few months. ...

Hmm... Given the January story of "500 in the next 18 months" I was wondering how close to 165 new stations we might be :lol:

Back