Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Luft said:
...I'm not from California but after going on the BC2BC rally last year I would vote for a few in Northern CA...
Much as I enjoy reading about BC2BC, I don't think we should put a high priority on installing CHAdeMOs on routes that will rarely be used by 70 mile BEVs, which are poorly suited for extended road trips...

The benefits of DC have little to do with the irrational desire to drive very long distances, and everything with extending the practical real-world range of BEVs in everyday use.

DC charge stations are required to increase the effective range and usefulness of all BEVs, and would make ICEVs, PHEVs, BEVxs, and very high kWh battery capacity BEVs largely unnecessary, on all highways everywhere.

In the case of a ~20 kWh available BEV like the LEAF, DC enables trips of up to several hundred miles, with a relatively small time penalty, offset by the substantial economic and environmental benefits of avoiding fossil fuels.

Due to the absence of DC charge stations between Shasta County and central CA (Vacaville) I had to do something last month you do all the time GRA...

I drove an ICEV.

And last November, I passed on an invitation North to Mt Shasta, since the ~200 mile round-trip drive would have required hours of slow AC L2, rather than only minutes of charging at a fast DC station.

I only had to drive and ride about 500 ICEV miles last year, but that was 500 miles too many, IMO.

Holy ****!!!

There is a DC at Chico Nissan!

Just called to confirm, and told it's available 7:30 AM to 7:00 pm six days a week, and till 6:00 PM Sundays.

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also shows new DCs up and running at Sacramento, Davis, and Richmond Nissan dealers, and an EVGO at Emeryville.

And more DCs at Pt. Reyes Station and Livermore coming soon.

It's a (bit late) Festivus miracle!

edatoakrun said:
The benefits of DC have little to do with the irrational desire to drive very long distances, and everything with extending the practical real-world range of BEVs in everyday use.

I will not comment are your use of "irrational," but DCQC can certainly make EVs more viable for city dwellers that have no access to a plug at home or at work.

Three of the five new ones listed in the Atlanta metro are online. One dealer is installed but not operational and one says they don't have it. Better than I was expecting!

edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
Luft said:
...I'm not from California but after going on the BC2BC rally last year I would vote for a few in Northern CA...
Much as I enjoy reading about BC2BC, I don't think we should put a high priority on installing CHAdeMOs on routes that will rarely be used by 70 mile BEVs, which are poorly suited for extended road trips...

DC charge stations are required to increase the effective range and usefulness of all BEVs, and would make ICEVs, PHEVs, BEVxs, and very high kWh battery capacity BEVs largely unnecessary, on all highways everywhere.
I disagree. It takes QCs AND large battery capacity BEVs together to make ICEVs unnecessary.

edatoakrun said:
In the case of a ~20 kWh available BEV like the LEAF, DC enables trips of up to several hundred miles, with a relatively small time penalty, offset by the substantial economic and environmental benefits of avoiding fossil fuels.
Whether it's a "Relatively small time penalty" is, you know, relative to the user. :D It's certainly not a relatively small time or hassle penalty to me, or the typical ICE/HEV/PHEV driver, and since I use a car to get to places more quickly than I could by other means, having to stop every 50 miles for a 30 minute QC defeats the purpose of using a car.

edatoakrun said:
Due to the absence of DC charge stations between Shasta County and central CA (Vacaville) I had to do something last month you do all the time GRA...

I drove an ICEV.
I'm well aware that you have made this trip several times, but should we really be prioritizing installations that will serve a single or just a few users, over ones that will serve hundreds or thousands? I think not. Using an ICE/HEV/PHEV/Tesla for that trip makes the most sense - using a short range BEV is like only using a putter to play golf; it can be done, but for most people it's too inefficient to bother with.

BTW, you're assuming, inaccurately as it turns out. I haven't needed to go beyond bike or transit range for a couple of months (come on, snow!), so my car has been sitting in my driveway all that time (I've driven it under 2,000 miles in 2013, virtually all on road trips). In fact, the battery died and I need to get a new one, but since it's the original and has lasted almost 11 years, I can't complain.

edatoakrun said:
And last November, I passed on an invitation North to Mt Shasta, since the ~200 mile round-trip drive would have required hours of slow AC L2, rather than only minutes of charging at a fast DC station.
Sure, and if there were hundreds of CHAdeMO equipped BEVs in that area who would frequently make use of such a QC, I'd be all for it. But there aren't, in fact you're the only one we know of in the area, although there may well be others. Meanwhile, thousands of Bay Area LEAF owners don't have a QC to get to Monterey/Carmel, and hundreds of Sacramento LEAF owners don't have one to get to Tahoe. I'm sure there are similar gaps in popular SoCal routes. Which routes do you think should have a higher priority?

Edit: Someone finally listened, and a CHAdeMO QC will go online in Pt. Reyes Station within a week or so. Finally, all the Bay Area LEAF/iMiEV users who might want to go to Pt. Reyes, Tomales Bay or even up to Bodega Bay will be able to do so with a single QC. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=26&p=347160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
I only had to drive and ride about 500 ICEV miles last year, but that was 500 miles too many, IMO.
Good for you, but should we put in one or more QCs just to serve _your_ needs, so you can say that you haven't driven an ICE all year? If you feel so strongly about it, I suggest you buy one (or more) QCs yourself and pay to have it/them installed. Or what would probably be cheaper, buy yourself a Tesla and make use of their supercharger network, which will solve your problems.

I confess I did not read all 83 pages of this thread, so if this has already been addressed, I apologize.

For the last couple years, my local plugshare page has been seriously one color only (L2).
Now, in just the last couple weeks, DCQC's are popping up at several dealerships.

I saw one near my local COSTCO (which was supposed to get L2's, but never did), so I planned my day around charging there.

And yes, I've been burned enough times that I called the Dealer and asked if they really had one, and was it working.

Up until this point, the only DCQC I've done was from our lone (but much appreciated) "Vegas" 60" HDMI gee wiz BLINK Chademo.

The Blink Chademo passes about 40Kw to 45Kw into the car when the car is in that DCQC "sweet Spot" of about 30% to 60% SOC, and 30Kw or so in the 60% SOC range, Which makes for a charge time of 15 to 20 minutes.

So I was concerned when I pulled up, plugged in, went in to say Hi and pee, came back out expecting to unplug and head out, only to find that My SOC had only increased by about 10%.

This thing, right in the DCQC sweet spot, was passing less than 10Kw to the car.

Is this "Normal" for these Nissan DCQC's?
I mean, is this thing working correctly, or has it got a problem?
What have you seen?

If this thing is not set up correctly, I'd like to tell them.
If this is the limit of it's capability, then ...... I can do this well on L2 with My Brusa.
I can pass about 7.2Kw on my L2.

If I spent an hour at the dealer at 8.6Kw, that's only putting, well, 8.6 Kw into the pack.
Not exactly what I was hoping for.

Meterold.jpg

This is the Blink DCQC a couple weeks ago. 45.9 Kw and 3 GID in 23 Seconds. Thats 30 GID in 230 Seconds. Quite respectable.

Meternew.jpg

This is the Nissan DCQC today, note 9.9 Kw, and after 13.5 Minutes I've only put 31 GID into the Pack.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Also, your tire pressure is too low.

Put Snow tires on the OEM wheels without TPM sensors.

I had zero the other day. :)

I knew somebody would have to say it.
Expected it from Canada though.

I guess ... "In Colorado when we have one battery Temp bar it's time for beach Volleyball"
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hi KillaWhat,

Used one of the new Nissan DCQC stations in our area on Friday - had 4 battery temp bars at start and 4 at the end.

Added 84 GIDs in 20 minutes. Started charging at 106 Amps, when I manually ended the session it was drawing 54 Amps.

Don't have much experience with what's normal as this was my 1st DCQC session, so it's interesting to see what you've experienced.

2014-01-02_17-01-55_355_zps57d0f326.jpg

Just saw that (in theory) there is a Level 3 charge in Jax according to Plugshare. I'll check it out, but I suspect it's just a level 2. The picture kind of looks like Level 2.

The highest I've seen amps wise from a Nissan QC is around 104-106 amps. One battery bar sure means burr cold battery! On the Fit EV Facebook group they are seeing power reduction and crazy range drops in that weather. :shock:

Back