NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeffInCO said:
pull and replace the "audio" fuse

I tried this.

After the install, I had information for a while on the info page. Then it changed to all asterisks.

All asterisks before, pulled the audio fuse, counted to 10 slowly, replaced, information back! Yea! Err, not so fast.

Connect to information center failed.

In the first week or so (maybe even two weeks?) after picking up the car, I had astericks only for the phone number on the info screen... all the other fields were filled in. Despite that, I still had no connectivity (couldn't update stations, couldn't login, etc.) During that time that everything was filled in except for the phone number, it seems like the system at least tried to communicate when attempting to update stations or login. It would pause for a few moments before failing.

By about the third week, it seemed like the system didn't even try to connect. Update stations or login would fail immediately. After seeing this behavior, I checked the info screen again and saw astericks for everything except the unit ID.

After pulling/replacing the fuse, I now have full connectivity. Update stations works (even without logging in from the car), logging in from the car works, and the iOS app works. I haven't tried the web page, but I would assume it's good too since the app works.

FWIW, the login info (for the login from the car itself) is exactly the same as it was with the 2G TCU.

Possibly, Nissan tech support has done something behind the scenes with my account that they haven't told me about, since I did open a ticket a while back.

JeffInCO said:
After pulling/replacing the fuse, I now have full connectivity. Update stations works (even without logging in from the car), logging in from the car works, and the iOS app works. I haven't tried the web page, but I would assume it's good too since the app works.

Fuse number please or a picture would be better. Let's make sure we get the correct "audio fuse".

I have to say that it sure seems like (at least) the "download info" happens much faster with the 3G modem...which only makes sense. Other than that, I would imagine the amount of data to get a status, etc. is so small it shouldn't make a difference.

I'm in the same camp as many others, I can update stations from the car, but neither the webpage nor the app can communicate with the car.

Edit, after signing out and back in again from the LEAF, I now can access it from the webpage. Still having trouble with the app.

lorenfb said:
JeffInCO said:

Fuse number please or a picture would be better. Let's make sure we get the correct "audio fuse".

Here's what I did:

1. Checked audio fuse for constant (all systems powered down) 12V. No constant power which implies that
the TCU has another power source since it must TX/RCV when the vehicle is powered off.
2. Used the LeafSpy Pro to scan for any ECU faults. It found the TCU and reported no faults on any ECU.
3. Removed the audio fuse and re-scanned and the TCU wasn't found. So the audio fuse does affect the
TCU's function, e.g. its CAN communications with the NAV system, but does not totally disable the TCU's
function, i.e. the radio (3G) for remote access must have constant power for remote access.
4. After a few minutes with the audio fuse removed, it was installed. Again, CarWings failed to connect.

There may be another fuse that may need to be removed, but I didn't care to further troubleshoot the
system, i.e. thinking that some ECU data may be lost requiring an initialization that I didn't care to
waste more time on. Maybe someone cares to disconnect the 12V battery for a total systems shutdown.
For me at this point, it's a dealer's problem.

lorenfb said:
Maybe someone cares to disconnect the 12V battery for a total systems shutdown.

I did this a few pages back in this thread about a week ago). Disconnected it for about 15 seconds. Before I did it was all asterisks and it would instantly fail to connect whenever I tried anything. Afterward it was only asterisks for the phone number and I could both download station updates and connect with the app.

magico13 said:
lorenfb said:
Maybe someone cares to disconnect the 12V battery for a total systems shutdown.

I did this a few pages back in this thread about a week ago). Disconnected it for about 15 seconds. Before I did it was all asterisks and it would instantly fail to connect whenever I tried anything. Afterward it was only asterisks for the phone number and I could both download station updates and connect with the app.

Thanks for the refresh. I'll try it tomorrow.

I got my TCU updated last monday and my app has been down since Thursday! I could get all the stuff from the car, like update stations or get feeds, but could not see charge status or start climate control etc from the website or the app. Well I got fed up and pulled the fuse tonight for 5 mins, put it back in and about 20 mins later I can log in from the app and website! Maybe Nissan just threw the switch on the computer too. Who knows but now it's working again! The fuse might be worth it for those who are having issues. BTW mine had all the details filled in, I pulled the fuse they all went to *******, then a few minutes later they went back to their previous values.

VitaminJ said:
BTW mine had all the details filled in, I pulled the fuse they all went to *******, then a few minutes later they went back to their previous values.

Is this the sequence?
1. You pulled the fuse. The NAV was then dead.
2. You waited and then replaced the fuse and immediately got to settings screen of the NAV
The settings were then populated as you watched.
3. The TCU then functioned properly.

Right?

Car was off I pulled the fuse.

Wait 5 minutes put the fuse back.

Turn on car go to Carvings ID settings and it's ******.

Mess around on Leaf Spy for a minute or two and then check ID and it's filled in.

Tried pinging the car a couple times, nothing worked.

20 mins later it works. Still working this morning!

VitaminJ said:
I got my TCU updated last monday and my app has been down since Thursday! I could get all the stuff from the car, like update stations or get feeds, but could not see charge status or start climate control etc from the website or the app. Well I got fed up and pulled the fuse tonight for 5 mins, put it back in and about 20 mins later I can log in from the app and website! Maybe Nissan just threw the switch on the computer too. Who knows but now it's working again! The fuse might be worth it for those who are having issues. BTW mine had all the details filled in, I pulled the fuse they all went to *******, then a few minutes later they went back to their previous values.

Not having done this myself yet, is there a diagram of the fuse box somewhere? I haven't even cracked it open so maybe it's obvious. Which is the audio fuse?

Edit:
Pulled the "AUDIO/MIRROR" fuse in the driver side dash fuse box (left column, second from the top) and replaced after 5 minutes. Started the car again and all numbers in TCU info were populated (except for phone#). Tried to sign in, but that didn't work right away as the TCU was "busy". Another minute wait, and it signed in and authorized properly as it did before.

No luck with the app or website yet though.

jdcbomb said:
2013 SL owner. It has now been 3 weeks since my TCU was replaced. 2 weeks since it was replaced a 2nd time. No connection, no response. Dealer has directed me to Nissan Consumer Affairs. Call 877.664.2738 Option 6 to have the issue reported for your vehicle. General consumer affairs is aware of the issue and working with the vendor for resolution. No ETA. Maddening.

Update: I followed up with a documented case (when calling, request it to be escalated and have an actual case number) with Nissan Connect support several days ago and just called for an update. This was the information given to me by what appeared to be veteran Nissan employee who has taken many of these cases:

The TCU unit depends on the XM/Sirius satellite communications module in order to have the 3G radio and vehicle system to verify with Nissan servers. Due to the massive numbers of Nissan / Infiniti (not just Leafs) for XM / radio / system updates / activations in the last few weeks of December, this caused a severe delay in processing all these requests. Without the XM ID verified on the XM side, the TCU radio will not connect with the Nissan server. I have a Nissan 3rd level tech that "should" be calling me back in a few days with an update.

Further information: Each case must be escalated individually to the XM team from Nissan. Just waiting around probably will not work. Some users "may" have the issue resolved by deleting their vehicle and CarWings account completely and setting it back up. But it only works half the time. Therefore, Nissan is attempting to fix it via the XM escalation route, to preserve the historical Leaf driving history.

We'll see what happens in a few days. As for the audio fuse pull method, that probably resets the connection somehow, but not sure if this is something even Nissan recommends.

For reference I bought my car used early this month and therefore started with a fresh NissanConnectEV account, not a legacy account. I don't know why the fuse worked for me, like I said maybe it was just a coincidence and Nissan did something on their end last night around the same time. Also I was having the standard low 12v battery issue over the weekend and got the warning light last week around the same time my app stopped working. Maybe that has something to do with it.

jdcbomb said:
The TCU unit depends on the XM/Sirius satellite communications module in order to have the 3G radio and vehicle system to verify with Nissan servers. Due to the massive numbers of Nissan / Infiniti (not just Leafs) for XM / radio / system updates / activations in the last few weeks of December, this caused a severe delay in processing all these requests. Without the XM ID verified on the XM side, the TCU radio will not connect with the Nissan server. I have a Nissan 3rd level tech that "should" be calling me back in a few days with an update.

I'm sorry, this just doesn't make sense (statement in bold)! I don't have any specific data to support this belief, but I don't know where it's coming from. I don't even have Sirius/XM and the tech never mentioned anything about it when performing my upgrade. It seems the longer we get into these modem upgrades, the more fantastical stories come out.

Well in my case, disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes reset the TCU restoring its functionality.
So just removing the "audio fuse" had no effect. The removal of the TCU's constant power (key off - #30 power)
was required. The TCU's info screen was then populated with data and not just all asterisks with the exception
of the TCU's I.D. number as previously with a non-functioning TCU. The iOS app I'm using takes about 45 seconds
to logon to CarWings and another 45 seconds to update the Leaf's status, i.e. a waste of time compared to the old
non-Nissan app previously available.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. Saved me a trip to the dealer and the typical hassle.

Interesting, I pulled my 12v battery over the weekend to charge it on the bench and Carwings didn't work after I put it back in. But the fuse-pull DID work for me. So basically opposite experience as you haha.

Stanton said:
jdcbomb said:

I'm sorry, this just doesn't make sense (statement in bold)! I don't have any specific data to support this belief, but I don't know where it's coming from. I don't even have Sirius/XM and the tech never mentioned anything about it when performing my upgrade. It seems the longer we get into these modem upgrades, the more fantastical stories come out.

Well I thought it was fantastical but now 6 hrs after getting this info and requesting an update to my existing case, my TCU unit and all remote functionality (app, website, etc) are working perfectly and faster than before.

I now strongly believe the XM satellite radio works in tandem with Nissan servers to authenticate the unit and the only way to deal with the the issue is to open a case like I did. It worked for me. I didn't do any fuse pulling or battery resetting.

ALRIGHT BOYS AND GIRLS, LISTEN UP

I have some information YOU want to know about.

A. We all know Leafs have just received a new TCU for 3G connectivity. Many people have been having trouble getting their Carwings to work as reliably as before with the 2G TCU. Nissan tech support cannot seem to fix the issue on certain cars.

B. Some owners have reported pulling their fuse resets their Unit ID info to *******. Others have said only pulling the battery reset it to ******* and the fuse does nothing.

C. In my own experience Carwings was working for me from the day I had the TCU upgrade until last Thursday, when my apps stopped working. On around Thursday I also received an EV system warning light, the code was for the 12v battery system.

D. On a whim, last night I pulled the AUDIO/MIRROR fuse for 5 mins and returned it. All my Unit ID data changed to ******, and a few moments later was returned to normal. After about 20 mins Carwings functioned normally. NissanConnectEV website, app, and Leaf Manager all functioned normally. I did not note my 12v system voltage.

E. Today I used Carwings to preheat my car before my lunch break approximately 12:45pm, it worked. I then noticed on Leaf Spy that my 12v battery was pretty low, in the low 12v range while I was about to drive away. I drove and got some food and ate it at a CHAdeMO charger and then ran some errands. While I ate for about 20-30 minutes on the charger I had the full car systems on, heaters, and bluetooth audio. I returned and parked at work and did not plug in.

F. At approximately 5pm I sent commands to preheat my car, but both my apps timed out.

G. NissanConnectEV web and app, and Leaf Manager stopped working some time between lunch and leaving to go home.

Hypothesis: low 12v system battery is causing the 3G TCU to fail to connect, and continuing to cause non-response even later on when the 12v system is at proper voltage.

Tonight I had me an experiment. It was as follows:

1. I parked after about 1 hour's drive home and the 12v system voltage was around 13v.

2. I pulled the AUDIO/MIRROR fuse and returned it after 5 mins. After that time the Unit ID data was NOT reset to *******. After 30 mins none of my apps worked.

3. I pulled the same fuse again. I also pulled the negative terminal off the 12v battery and put the 12v battery on a charger for 1 hour. After this time I replaced the battery and replaced the fuse and started up the car. My Unit ID data was now reset to ********. I also pressed Sign In, and I signed in to Carwings in the car again.

4. After approximately 15 minutes, EVERYTHING WORKED!!!!!!!

Fixed%20It01.png

Fixed%20It03.png

Fixed%20It02.png

Hypothesis confirmed. As noted in C above, Carwings failed for me at around the same time I received the EV system warning light for the 12v system. In D above, pulling the fuse did reset my Unit ID info, while later on in 2 above the fuse did not reset my Unit ID info, then in 3 pulling the battery did. This suggests that the reason pulling the fuse did reset my Unit ID info in D suggests that my 12v system battery was already very weak and there are two separate components (3G TCU and XM receiver possibly?) and one functions off the AUDIO/MIRROR fuse and the other does not, but the one that does not was already failing due to low 12v system voltage.

Chronic 12v battery weakness and failures, a new 3G TCU that possibly has more power consumption, or requires a higher voltage to function properly, and it being winter causing the batteries to be more prone to failure or have weak voltage, all combine to cause this mystery problem.

Is it a mystery any longer? Your input would be great to hear! Try it yourself!

Back