No heat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigeemac999

Hi recently purchased a 2012 nissan leaf and the heater is not working didn't realize until weather got cooler anyone any ideas it blows just fine but no hot air even if i leave it on for 20 mile journey thanks

The heat source is an electric element heater that is powered from the pack thru the High Voltage Junction Box.

The element could be failed, or there could be a blown fuse.

There is a HV fuse inside the HVJB but it is not easy to get access. The connectors have a couple of locking features also that can be difficult.

There are threads on the forum with pictures of PTC heater replacements if you are a diy person.

Check to make sure their isn't a tiny switch under the power button or somewhere else near the power button. Some people(like me) have installed Thor's heater switch so the heat doesn't turn on(the heating loop, below 60? degrees) otherwise without it anytime you turn on the fan below 60f?, even with heat set low, the heating loop will turn on. Also push the blue button on your screen and then energy use? it will show any power draw from the climate control, if the heater is on it will draw up to 6kw, if not it will be near zero. If the heater itself is bad, that's real bad! it can be a very expensive fix and might not be worth fixing for a vehicle that old.

Oh yeah i forgot about that "fix"--check the connector of the heater fluid temperature sensor if it is unplugged and has a resistor inserted across the terminals. This was another way to keep the heat from coming ON everytime you just want some fresh air circulation, and easier than putting in a switch.

Wy9jG2w.jpg

While admirable, I doubt the OP's Leaf has any such heater mods (I have the Tor mod as well). I suspect he has yet another (early) Gen1 Leaf with a heater failure...and it may have been so for many years.
I'm waiting for the next (most asked) question for Gen1 Leafs, which is: "why doesn't CarWings/NissanConnect work? Or the corollary: "has my TCU been upgraded (and why can't I get 4G)?" :p

There is also the control panel mod, where the heat only comes on if the AC is on, or if the rear defrost is on.

Back