no L3 for Washington state until April 2012?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebill3 said:
I have no interest in driving 60 or 70 miles, take a 30 minute break, drive 60 miles, take another break, and on.
That is just one scenario. The other more often used used scenario (for me) would be a quick fillup in places like Everette and return home. QC lets us effectively double Leaf's range.

just quick example. will be attending a "build" session for Gary GIDs SOC thingy. its in Bellevue, i am in Olympia. its about 65 miles one way. i can make it there no problem. simply drive 55. but then what? if i had a QC, i could get enough of a boost to make it. might need two but that is a total of an hour which is ok.

as it stands, i will have to leave much earlier. charge a few hours on the way (plan to stop at dealership in Auburn for my annual inspection, flash etc) get to Bellevue. park, charge a few hours while getting a ride to build party. get a ride back. then drive back probably having to stop somewhere for another few hours of charge to make it back to Olympia.

as you can see, the option of QC does come in handy without having to go cross country

DaveinOlyWA said:
just quick example. will be attending a "build" session for Gary GIDs SOC thingy. its in Bellevue, i am in Olympia. its about 65 miles one way. i can make it there no problem. simply drive 55. but then what? if i had a QC, i could get enough of a boost to make it. might need two but that is a total of an hour which is ok.

as it stands, i will have to leave much earlier. charge a few hours on the way (plan to stop at dealership in Auburn for my annual inspection, flash etc) get to Bellevue. park, charge a few hours while getting a ride to build party. get a ride back. then drive back probably having to stop somewhere for another few hours of charge to make it back to Olympia.

as you can see, the option of QC does come in handy without having to go cross country
Agree, but curious - why not just take your Prius to the 'build'? Comfy warm and fog free windshield. Perhaps it is needed by another family member.

Bill

ebill3 said:
Agree, but curious - why not just take your Prius to the 'build'? Comfy warm and fog free windshield. Perhaps it is needed by another family member.
That is like doing the marathon route in a car ;-)

i could take the Prius. it would be in use its also going 65 miles but that is roundtrip and has been done several times in winter. but i take the Leaf because i want to.

it is a bit of an inconvenience but i simply combine the trip with other things i need to get done like the Leaf one year inspection so i leave a little early. sit in their lobby. drink their coffee. cruise the net which is what i would most likely be doing anyway.

now i did do about 130 miles in one day for the Seattle group meet last year. its about time that record falls anyway

evnow said:
ebill3 said:
That is like doing the marathon route in a car ;-)
Different perspective, I guess. You and Oly Dave see it as a challenge; I see it as a cold, miserable drive with lots of time sitting around watching the SOC meter slowly increasing the SOC percentage. As I say, to each his own - at my advanced years, I'll wimp out and take the warm comfort of the ICE. :lol:

And for Dave, as you know, not many charging opportunities around Puyallup, but there is always Puyallup Nissan - very receptive to guests charging. Or PM me and if I am home, you are welcome to a few hours of L2 and maybe a hot toddy to warm those cold bones. ;)

Bill

mitch672 said:
Well, at least YOU have the EV Project, lame as it is, and their is a PLAN.

Where I am (East Coast, Boston), not only is there no EV Project, there is no plan, and there will likely NEVER be even a single L3 charger, as this is one trend that is likely to not make the "political cut" and be extended across the country, so give thanks you will have some L3 capability, it will likely be decades if ever we have any over here, unless a viable business case exists for it, and private enterprise does it (doesn't appear likely now does it)

It appears that at least a few L3's will start showing up my April-May 2012 in the Washington DC area, courtesy of 350Green. See the press release at
http://350green.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Pentagon-City-EV-Press-Release.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Coulomb charger dedication at the Pentagon City Mall in Arlington, VA, near DC, mentioned in the press release is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE70wiHjn8M&list=UUfrqZM2bPb7JzxXsB5HnXRA&index=1&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rep. Janice Hahn from California and Rep. Jim Moran from N. Virginia were there, too.

350Green looks like they've got their stuff together and are getting chargers deployed pretty quickly, as opposed to the EV Project.

I'll be sure to use one of those new L3 fast chargers in Washington DC as soon as I flatbed my Leaf the 500 miles to try it out :)

Back