Not being in initial 7 states ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To whom it might apply:

Complaining about living outside the initial-7 states, about not enough EVSEs being available yet, or reminding us over and over and over of the same "alternative" choices ... is neither constructive nor helpful.

When hundreds of your posts have the same complaints, it becomes less of a pleasure to read your posts for the good insights that you can contribute.

ok gary, yes, I hear you. I'm only going to post positive, cheery Leaf thoughts in the future.

Guess you won't be hearing from me very much any longer.

bye

Mitch

Mitch, being candid is good. While we support EV`s, we need to help each other with the facts and opinions. Things will improve for you hang in there. I enjoy your thoughtful comments and I would be as frustrated as you if I did not live in a launch State. Winters in Japan are cold . Nissan must have confidence that their batterys will do fine during the winter. Once Nissan gets production up to speed they will be shiping 2,000 to the US a month and expanding their US market penitration. Since they have limited production now, and Ca. will buy all they can produce, it is a no brainer for them to stay where the weather is optimum for EV`s.

stanley said:
Mitch, being candid is good. While we support EV`s, we need to help each other with the facts and opinions. Things will improve for you hang in there. I enjoy your thoughtful comments and I would be as frustrated as you if I did not live in a launch State. Winters in Japan are cold . Nissan must have confidence that their batterys will do fine during the winter. Once Nissan gets production up to speed they will be shiping 2,000 to the US a month and expanding their US market penitration. Since they have limited production now, and Ca. will buy all they can produce, it is a no brainer for them to stay where the weather is optimum for EV`s.
As I live in a Tier 2 state, I'm as frustrated as anybody on how things have developed. Nonetheless, i can see that sticking to CA deliveries as long as there are pending orders is likely the most simple and most profitable course. It is an established channel and, importantly, transportation to CA cities from Japan is faster and easier than to anybody on the gulf or east coast.

What would help the intangible feeling of what's happening, and help a lot, would be a more complete explanation from Nissan of what's going on as Nissan sees it, and some more detail about Nissan's plans for the future. For example, is the US east coast basically waiting for the Tennessee facility?

mitch672 said:
The "battery pack heater" uses battery power to generate the heat! except when connected to the J-1772 EVSE... the heat/AC in the vehicle uses battery power. You get stuck in one of our typical traffic jams or one of our famous 3-4 hour winter commutes, you're going to have to shutoff the heat, to have any chance of making it. What I am saying is, even though an EV could work here, drivers will have to make a lot of compromises, and many are not willing to - yet. $4,$5, or $6 gasoline, maybe more will, but larger packs would also help

Mitch, I don't know you, and don't particularly care whether you buy a Leaf, a Volt, a PHEV Prius, a Ford EV, or a Corvette. Nor am I particularly bothered by your 'kvetching' on account of not being in one of the Fair Weather States getting preference in initial deliveries.

However I am pretty interested in how you assess your own situation, as it bears on adoption of EV's nation wide in the long term. Much of the answer seems to depend on how long your normal commute is, how frequent are the cold weather traffic jams, and what your other options are.

Clearly if you have a 70 mile round trip commute with no option of plugging in at work, with your car sitting outside all day in a sub-zero parking lot, then a frozen traffic jam on the way home would be enough to give Carlos a bad case of range anxiety. If you have a 10 mile round trip commute, maybe it doesn't matter that a few days per year you have to use up nearly all of your battery capacity staying warm, and you still make it home with reserve to spare. Maybe the only difference would be that when a winter storm is forecast for the next day you set your car to charge to 100% instead of 80%.

It looks like people have a pretty good idea how many kW the heater draws. Maybe you could figure half that for heated seats with the heater turned down. Maybe half again for heated seats and plug-in electric lap blanket and the heater only doing enough to keep the windows clear? Based on your commute distance, and whether or not you can plug in at work, you should know how many kWh you'll normally use up going to work and how many kWh you'll replenish at work. Factor in whether the car is garaged and pre-heated, or outside and pre-chilled. Then estimate the typical and worst case traffic jams. So many hours stalled in traffic times so many kW to run the heating gives you that many kWh off your remaining capacity.

So can you make it home with kWh's to spare? If not, do you have any options? Myself, I don't like sitting in traffic jams in any weather, and sometimes prefer to stop at a cafe to have a bite to eat and to read, waiting for the traffic to clear. What if there were a Starbucks along your route where you could plug in your car and have some hot coffee while waiting out the worst of the traffic?

Finally, do you have any pre-commute options? Say you know there's a storm coming in the next day and based on your calculations it's too likely that your Leaf won't make the trip. Can you work from home on such (rare?) days? The best foul weather commute is a tele-commute. Do you have an old beat up pickup truck in the garage which you hate to drive, but could do so on the occasional storm day? Could you carpool with your insufferable neighbor in his SUV and take the carpool lanes while listening to him lecture you on why EV's are totally impractical? (Getting your satisfaction back the other 364 days when he burns $4/gallon gas and you don't.)

Bottom line, what does a Leaf look like for you in typical cost to operate, how often you'd expect atypical days and what would be the impact of those days? What does a PHEV Prius or a Volt look like? An Altima? So yeah, although I don't care what car you pick, I am interested in how you make your decision... should you feel like kvetching about it here. ;)

kmp647 said:
Oh good Tesla, now where is that spare $110k I had laying around :D
Gotta pay if you want to play.

With Nissan pushing back deliveries, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Model S delivered before the Leaf in the "shunned states".

qwk said:
kmp647 said:

With Nissan pushing back deliveries, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Model S delivered before the Leaf in the "shunned states".

You.re right. It's entirely plausible that a car that is still completely on the drawing board will beat a car that is already in production to the streets.

[/sarcasm off]

Jimmydreams said:
qwk said:
kmp647 said:

You.re right. It's entirely plausible that a car that is still completely on the drawing board will beat a car that is already in production to the streets.

[/sarcasm off]
The design is and has been completed for a while. The alpha prototypes are being built now.

A little research never hurt anybody.

qwk said:
The design is and has been completed for a while. The alpha prototypes are being built now.

You're right, but my point remains. The Model S is so far behind the Leaf it isn't even funny.

Jimmydreams said:
qwk said:

You're right, but my point remains. The Model S is so far behind the Leaf it isn't even funny.
I hope so. It would be sad to see that a startup meets their deadlines, and Nissan does not.

qwk said:
I hope so. It would be sad to see that a startup meets their deadlines, and Nissan does not.
Well, Nissan has already met the deadline ;-)

Good thing with S is that - atleast they have started hiring some people at old NUMMI.

evnow said:
qwk said:
Well, Nissan has already met the deadline ;-)

Good thing with S is that - atleast they have started hiring some people at old NUMMI.
LOL, I don't consider 4 cars delivered in nearly a month meeting the deadline. There are quite a few pissed customers waiting.

qwk said:
LOL, I don't consider 4 cars delivered in nearly a month meeting the deadline. There are quite a few pissed customers waiting.
True - but has Tesla committed to any number (or for that matter a month) ?

evnow said:
qwk said:
True - but has Tesla committed to any number (or for that matter a month) ?
No. I hope they don't stall like Nissan has.

I really hope Nissan can get their act together.

qwk said:
No. I hope they don't stall like Nissan has.
Anyone remember how long the Tesla Roadster was delayed? There was delay after delay when that car was being launched. And the price was raised on the customers, too!

As a New Yorker, my order date is projected for about a year from now. I intend on driving a LEAF, but I am having second thoughts about buying one. I commute via mass transit and only would be using a car for short weekend trips, picking people up from the airport, etc. A garaged parking spot can cost as much as a LEAF lease here and that is not to mention trying to convince them to allow charging. Insurance is easily twice what it is in other parts of the country. Our car in Colorado sits for long periods of time, so the LEAF doesn't make much sense there.

Since Hertz announced the LEAF will be available for their car sharing program about a year before we could actually buy, if I try it and it is convenient enough, I might just do that and save money over ownership. If I move to a sprawled out area like most of the US, I would definitely buy.

mitch672 said:
The "battery pack heater" uses battery power to generate the heat! except when connected to the J-1772 EVSE... the heat/AC in the vehicle uses battery power. You get stuck in one of our typical traffic jams or one of our famous 3-4 hour winter commutes, you're going to have to shutoff the heat, to have any chance of making it. What I am saying is, even though an EV could work here, drivers will have to make a lot of compromises, and many are not willing to - yet. $4,$5, or $6 gasoline, maybe more will, but larger packs would also help

With respect, Mitch, battery pack heaters are not new tech. Throw some 1/4 inch insulation around the battery box and line the bottom with these thin electric blankets and we're done.

The pack doesn't need the heater when driving - the heater will be used to keep the pack somewhat warm when the car's sitting and plugged in.

LiFePO4 can be charged when the cell core temperature is 0°C/32°F, and can be discharged down to minus 20°C -- and LiMn2O4 is better in the cold.

In the days before synthetic engine oil, we'd prepare for an Upper Peninsula winter by getting a cheap charcoal grill and breaking off the legs - it was easier to slide under the oil pan once we got the fire lit. ;)

Back