Not driving Leaf for several months

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caracalover said:
It wasn't bad info, it just might not be what you wanted to hear.
Y0hefS

Source: owner's manual, EV Overview EV-23

el4 said:
I spoke to a rep at Nissan (the 800 number) who told me if I don't charge the li-ion every 14 to 30 days it could "brick." (his terminology.) Anyone know the answer?
Source: the OP
newownermnl

I would be curious to hear your rationalization of this discrepancy. Two official Nissan sources, and they seem to contradict each other.

surfingslovak said:
Caracalover said:

Y0hefS

el4 said:
I spoke to a rep at Nissan (the 800 number) who told me if I don't charge the li-ion every 14 to 30 days it could "brick." (his terminology.) Anyone know the answer?
newownermnl

Do you know what cover your ass is? Still not bad info. In this OP situation we have a heat element, so the CS opted to give a different view.

Caracalover said:
Do you know what cover your ass is? Still not bad info. In this OP situation we have a heat element, so the CS opted to give a different view.
Are there any conditions, where less frequent charging would be indicated?

surfingslovak said:
Caracalover said:
Y0hefS

el4 said:
newownermnl

I would be curious to hear your rationalization of this discrepancy. Two official Nissan sources, and they seem to contradict each other.
Why are you even on this board, you don't have a Leaf, do you?

Caracalover said:
I would do option b, and ship the car and then use it. Why let it sit unused when it can be useful? It won't cost much to ship, and you will likely recoup almost that much by driving it. I wouldn't waste a week of my life driving it from point A to B, but as a daily driver? You bet.
This exactly!!! The car's depreciating during that 5-6 months. May as well use it or let someone else use it.

Heck, too bad I'm not in FL otherwise I wouldn't mind borrowing a Leaf for that time period.

Caracalover said:
surfingslovak had a Leaf for awhile. He's still active in SF BayLEAFs and he also flew to Phoenix to help w/Tony's range test.

He's a lot more familiar w/the Leaf than I am.

Caracalover said:
surfingslovak said:

You are a real piece of work, quickly moving into the OrientExpress nutty category. I don't have a LEAF either, by the way. Why a select (and thankfully extremely small) group feel it important to attack other folks because they differ on views is absolutely beyond me. It's a sickness.

And, as you are with the 37mph issue, you're wrong yet again. Telling somebody to plug it in will brick the 12 volt, and do nothing for the traction battery, which can sit uncharged for a LONG time.

The Nissan customer service guy is wrong.

TonyWilliams said:
Caracalover said:
surfingslovak said:

You are a real piece of work, quickly moving into the OrientExpress nutty category. I don't have a LEAF either, by the way. Why a select (and thankfully extremely small) group feel it important to attack other folks because they differ on views is absolutely beyond me. It's a sickness.

And, as you are with the 37mph issue, you're wrong yet again. Telling somebody to plug it in will brick the 12 volt, and do nothing for the traction battery, which can sit uncharged for a LONG time.

The Nissan customer service guy is wrong.
Tony, of all the people to start throwing names like nutty around, you should not be one of them. Nutty is owning two leafs and still obsessing about them after getting rid of them. Does that sound normal to you? You attacked me, I did not attack you. You say I am wrong, and continue to do so with no foundation. I am done trying to get you to reason, since you are simply not a reasoning indiviidual. Many with high intellect are like that, I am not attacking you by pointing this out. It is simply the truth.

Again, I respect and appreciate the tests and numbers that all on this board (Including you Tony) have put together, nor do I argue with those results. Never said I did.

We have clashed before, remember when I told you that if you are planning a trip on the freeway to plan for a speed that is safe, especially when your life is not the only one on the line? That was another example of your non-rational thought processes. Just thought I would point it out as you likely are of too high an intellect to realize how you sound to me. These threads are not about right and wrong since the world has many shades of both.

I am not going to be looking at these boards for quite a while due to the irrationality that is rampant. Sad that you think it helps the EV movement to tell people to drive 10 mph as a practical speed. You are wrong for doing that.

Caracalover said:
I am not going to be looking at these boards for quite a while due to the irrationality that is rampant. Sad that you think it helps the EV movement to tell people to drive 10 mph as a practical speed. You are wrong for doing that.

You know, OrientExpress made similar comments during his melt down last summer. Like you, in his mind he was the most rational of all and we who neither agreed with his methodology nor opinions, or were just tired of his attacks were all just nut jobs out to destroy EVs. Ok.

The LEAF has optimum range autonomy at about 12 mph. That's not good or bad for EVs, it's just a fact. Surely, driving on a freeway at 12mph might be optimum for range, but stupid, dangerous and illegal on public freeways. I didn't suggest, or even hint, that was what folks should be doing. It still doesn't change the facts on longest range autonomy.

I think you and Dave hinge your obtuseness on my use of the word "practical". Quite simply, I challenge you to try and drive 12.5mph and tell me if it isn't more practical to drive between 10-15mph. Since I've actually done it for several hours in testing, let me be the first to inform you that it isn't easy. And, I've actually used that speed apron far too many occasions to crawl the last few pitiful miles to my house.

The optimum range autonomy speed for any commercial airplane, boat, truck, train, etc is no doubt a well known specification to its operators. Those businesses aren't impacted negatively with this knowledge. I've had occassions to stretch aviation fuel when I've slowed an airplane capable of traveling close to the speed of sound to just a tad over 200 knots due to any number of issues that might pop up; closed airport, unforecast weather, mechanical issue, etc., just as I have done with the LEAF.

Sorry if this news doesn't sit well with you.

seems like i will never get rid of that "12 mph" comment.

so why dont you drive it up North? sounds like you have the time. now, if you dont feel up to it (and I dont blame you. can really add up when considering two weeks or longer of hotels and whatnot plus driving in what i would consider to be "not so EV friendly" country)

i would check around for shipping costs. seems to me a few reported here shipping cars for like $400-$500. think about it. you could save that much in gas bills (33rd straight day of gas price hikes...gotta hurt sooner or later) in 5-6 months. would pay for the freight one way plus part of the return i am guessing

Oh man. 30 posts and about 2 dozen solutions to my problem. It seems I'm as well informed as the next guy. Thanks to all who contributed, but I'll probably ship the car north for the summer and hope another Sandy doesn't come along & take out the Leaf like it did my 2001 Lincoln last year. I am curious about any warranty issues if I follow any of the other suggestions. i.e., could Nissan invalidate my warranty if I take a wrong step?

el4 said:
Oh man. 30 posts and about 2 dozen solutions to my problem. It seems I'm as well informed as the next guy. Thanks to all who contributed, but I'll probably ship the car north for the summer and hope another Sandy doesn't come along & take out the Leaf like it did my 2001 Lincoln last year. I am curious about any warranty issues if I follow any of the other suggestions. i.e., could Nissan invalidate my warranty if I take a wrong step?

if you can get a reasonable price for shipping the car, I think that is your best bet. I think personally I would go crazy if forced to do gas for a week (i nearly did...) dont know what would happen if i had to do it for like 5-6 months!

Back