Not releasing the J1772 charging cable on 2019 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While charging via my Level 2 home charger I noticed that I could not terminate the charge by pulling out the J1772 plug. Normally I can simply pull the plug to terminate charging but last night, after reaching 90% charge, I noticed that I could not pull the J1772 plug out. The car of course continued to charge. I had to throw the breaker to stop charging. Only then would the interlock release and allow me to pull the plug. I've heard of others having this issue but I cannot remember what the cause was. I know that it can be manually released from under the hood but I'd like to know why the release mechanism is hanging up.

Last edited:
While charging via my Level 2 home charger I noticed that I could not terminate the charge by pulling out the J1772 plug. Normally I can simply pull the plug to terminate charging but last night, after reaching 90% charge, I noticed that I could not pull the J1772 plug out. The car of course continued to charge. I had to throw the breaker to stop charging. Only then would the interlock release and allow me to pull the plug. I've heard of others having this issue but I cannot remember what the cause was. I know that it can be manually released from under the hood but I'd like to know why the release mechanism is hanging up.
Get into the manual. There are three settings to choose from: AUTO, LOCK and NO LOCK. Sorry, I don't have time to give you more details.; maybe more in the morning.

I haven't changed any settings so I wouldn't expect that to be the issue. Not ruling it out as there are other people that use the vehicle. I'll check this. Also, the 12V battery is now 5 years old and I know is getting quite weak. I was wondering if that could have had anything to do with it. Thanks.

While charging via my Level 2 home charger I noticed that I could not terminate the charge by pulling out the J1772 plug. Normally I can simply pull the plug to terminate charging but last night, after reaching 90% charge, I noticed that I could not pull the J1772 plug out. The car of course continued to charge.
Are you pushing the button on the handle? What I didn't know until a few months ago is that pushing the button actuates a hidden electrical switch in the handle. We have our Leaf set to UNLOCK (almost all our charging is in our garage) and we can interrupt charging any time simply by pushing the button in the handle.

There is another UNLOCK button on your keyfob.

In the Leaf Owner's Manual there is good information on page CH40 through CH42; worth a read.

Yes I hadn't done anything differently than I normally do so it surprised me that it wouldn't pull out. I knew that I hadn't changed anything but I totally overlooked the possibility that someone else might have. But all is well now. My daughter admitted that she was playing with the charge settings and after checking them I see they've been modified. Thanks to all

Back