Note Cards left behind...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex32817

I am thinking about doing business cards to leave behind on EV owners that are done charging, charging or ICE vehicles park on EV spots, as I have only had my Leaf for 4 days, yet I have encountered all of the above already, and I don't want to be the guy that simply takes the other guys charge port and not let that person know that his/her vehicle was done, or at least the station was available.

Is this OK, or insulting?

When the EV if done charging: https://flic.kr/p/ocPXDf
When their EV is charging, and I am asking for their port once they are done/leave: https://flic.kr/p/ogCUAB
When an ICE car is in an EV spot: https://flic.kr/p/oeGaZQ

What do you guys think?

Each of your cards is very polite, well-written, and professional looking.

Alex32817 said:
When the EV if done charging: https://flic.kr/p/ocPXDf
This is fine, but frankly I think it is unnecessary. I can't imagine anyone feeling insulted if they come back to their car and find it charged to 100%, with the plug now in someone else's car. Frankly, if it is a pay-to-charge station, they would almost certainly be grateful since you are saving them money by unplugging them when they are done. (I know that Blink stations charge you based on how long you are plugged in, not based on how much actual electricity you use.)

The card would probably make them feel like you are extremely courteous, so it is only a good thing. But I just think you needn't bother.

Alex32817 said:
When their EV is charging, and I am asking for their port once they are done/leave: https://flic.kr/p/ogCUAB

This is polite and courteous, but I could see conflicts arising from it. You are essentially trying to reserve your place in line to charge from that spot. I find it to be very sensible, but other EV drivers might not.
Example: What if, when the currently charging driver gets back to his car (and you are not there but have left him your note asking to be plugged in) there is another EV driver waiting on his spot? This other EV driver doesn't know about your note, and may not even recognize it as a valid claim on the spot. From their point of view, they are there, you are not. Now the currently charging driver is put in a position where he has to decide to plug in your car, ticking off the driver who was waiting for the spot, or let them plug in, potentially ticking you off. Not really fair to put them in that position. The etiquette in that situation does not seem to me to be universally agreed upon at this time.

Now, that said, if I returned to my car and saw another EV parked within the cord range with their charge port popped open, I would definitely plug them in (assuming the EVSE was free and didn't require pay-activation to start charging. . . in that case I would just put the plug back on the EVSE). But if another EV was waiting behind me with their blinker on, and a car full of kids? I might just ignore your card and pull out.

Alex32817 said:
When an ICE car is in an EV spot: https://flic.kr/p/oeGaZQ
This is well-worded and not insulting. But I'd think carefully before using it.
On the plus side the driver might be a reasonable person who was just oblivious, and your card will make them think twice next time.
On the negative side the driver may be a nutcase or anti-EV jerk who sees your card, notices the unattended Leaf parked nearby, and walks over to exact some form of retribution.

I'd probably use it if the ICE was a prius or a civic. I probably would not use it if the ICE were a lifted pickup truck with "drill baby drill" bumber stickers.

I guess they are okay. I've seen a hundred variations of these cards. I've been meaning to put some in my car. But truth is I rarely need a public station and when I do go to a public station the most common problem is them being inoperative due to malfunction. I have encountered some ICEd stations before, but usually there was still at least one EV spot available. It is very rare for me to see another EV charging at a public station around here.

If my car will finish charging while at a busy area, I leave a sign on my dashboard saying it's fine to unplug me if my charge is finished.

I would unplug someone, if they were finished charging, but have never had to. i would leave a note.

I have a note I leave on ice vehicles blocking charging locations. I copied if from someone on here, stating that it is against the law to block charging locations and that this is a courtesy notice. It is not illegal to block charging spaces in Tennessee, but I figure it might scare a few people ;)

philipscoggins said:
I have a note I leave on ice vehicles blocking charging locations. I copied if from someone on here, stating that it is against the law to block charging locations and that this is a courtesy notice. It is not illegal to block charging spaces in Tennessee, but I figure it might scare a few people ;)

Not (yet) illegal in CA. However, considering most EV charge stations are on private property, it's pretty easy to get towed for trespassing.
There are only two types of enforceable parking violations: disabled, and fire lane.

On public roadways, EV stations are only a courtesy spot, much like maternal parking spaces.

While this may vary state to state, or city to city, there's currently no such laws at the Federal or CA State level.

Multiple times I've come to an EV charge station parking spot, only to find it occupied by a non-plugin hybrid. I'm sure they're thinking "I've got an electric vehicle, too". You might want a variant for this form of ICEd spots.

I just carry a note pad and pen in the car, and those times that I've encountered a car done charging or a car in the process of charging, I've just left a quick and nice note explaining why I unplugged their car (if fully charged when I pulled up), or asking if they would mind plugging me in when they left (if charging when I pulled up). I also leave a 'charging protocol' note on my dash at public charging stations explaining how to tell if my car is charged, and telling them to feel free to unplug me if it is. Almost every time, I get a note back on my car with a nice response from the other owner. I think the slightly more time-consuming, but perhaps more personal touch, of putting pen to paper helps a little.

I leave the EV Charging Protocol card on my dash with my phone number. I also leave blank EV Charging Protocol cards on every unattended ZEV or PHEV car that I see at EV spots. http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgalvan said:
On the negative side the driver may be a nutcase or anti-EV jerk who sees your card, notices the unattended Leaf parked nearby, and walks over to exact some form of retribution.

I'd probably use it if the ICE was a prius or a civic. I probably would not use it if the ICE were a lifted pickup truck with "drill baby drill" bumber stickers.

I've left dozens of notices over the last year, four just this week on adjacent vehciles. Drivers do not exact retribution. They probably rationalized their parking as OK because "No one ever uses these silly things". As time marches on, more and more reminders and EV's parked here and there and they will finally get the message.

I use the following note
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2881567/Courtesy%20Parking%20Notice.docx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I print these on card stock, and slide them between the drivers windows and the rubber seal.

jlv said:
Multiple times I've come to an EV charge station parking spot, only to find it occupied by a non-plugin hybrid. I'm sure they're thinking "I've got an electric vehicle, too". You might want a variant for this form of ICEd spots.

An EV driver I know questioned someone driving an SUV who pulled into a parking space next to them, ICEing the spot. The driver said that their vehicle had a battery too, and walked off into the store.

Notice how it's more often than not an SUV?

JPWhite said:
An EV driver I know questioned someone driving an SUV who pulled into a parking space next to them, ICEing the spot. The driver said that their vehicle had a battery too, and walked off into the store.
:evil: That makes me angry. I have pre-printed notes in my car, too. The times I use public chargers are few and far between, so I've only had to leave one note and -- sure enough -- it was an SUV driver. What's lame is right across the parking lane were spots. They wanted to be 10 feet closer to the door. :evil:

aarond12 said:
JPWhite said:
:evil: That makes me angry. I have pre-printed notes in my car, too. The times I use public chargers are few and far between, so I've only had to leave one note and -- sure enough -- it was an SUV driver. What's lame is right across the parking lane were spots. They wanted to be 10 feet closer to the door. :evil:

I'm mainlining a photographic ICEing "Hall of Shame"

http://wp.me/p1sK3k-e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a great topic and this has been my experience, while I am connected to a Blink station at the San Diego Zoo, I normally get a Text when I completed charging.. I also get a text when the Plug has been removed. When I return to the Leaf, there is either:

A. A car parked next to me with his Charge Port opened
B. A car parked next to me that left me a message to plug him
C. A car that saw I was completed and they removed it to charge

In all cases I have not had any issues, one Ford Focus left me a message with his Blink card to get him started and I just places the message with the Blink Card back on this windshield wiper after I connected him. He posted that on Plug Share.

I have a nice card with my Name & Cell number on it, it also has a slide wheel inside it that you can turn to display the time that you will be back. It was made by a cool engineer that works for SDG&E. This I leave on the dashboard facing out.

So you can make you're own card with info on it and place it inside your windshield or on the Wipers.

As far as the ICE, I will try to get them cited first or Towed, this send a message and they can start passing the word to other Icer's.

Respect our Gas Stations.

The Business cards are cool but most will pull them not read them and throw them on the ground.

Fred

mctom987 said:
Not (yet) illegal in CA.

CVC Section 22511 Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CVC Section 22511.1 Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles: Prohibitions

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22511_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

22511.1. (a) A person shall not park or leave standing a vehicle in a stall or space designated pursuant to Section 22511 unless the vehicle is connected for electric charging purposes.

(b) A person shall not obstruct, block, or otherwise bar access to parking stalls or spaces described in subdivision (a) except as provided in subdivision (a).

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 274, Stats. 2011. Effective January 1, 2012.

Back