OC register article - let's tell half the story

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice letter Mike! I you want, drop me a line and I'll feed you some of his other fine comments as they come in! the thing is, he is not far off from where a lot of American's are politically and sadly, I haven't figured out how to get through to people like that. It's like they are playing football, and no matter what, they will always fight against the other team.
g

GaslessInSeattle said:
Nice letter Mike! I you want, drop me a line and I'll feed you some of his other fine comments as they come in! the thing is, he is not far off from where a lot of American's are politically and sadly, I haven't figured out how to get through to people like that. It's like they are playing football, and no matter what, they will always fight against the other team.
g

LOL! Not sure I want to waste my energy seeing anything else this guy has a mind to write. He's clearly a knuckle-head!

mwalsh said:
Wow! No doubt a right-wing, fundamentalist, douche!

Well, I've been invited to write a rebuttal for publication this coming weekend, though I have to keep it down to 500 words. Here it is:

As an electric vehicle owner, I found Mark Landsbaum’s narrow-minded editorial very disheartening. It pretty much ignores any positive aspects of EV ownership in favor of trotting out familiar, negatively-biased (and mostly incorrect), talking points.....

While it’s true there are significant near-term subsidies for electric vehicles, there are subsidies and tax breaks going to highly profitable oil companies, every year, which make those for green technology look like peanuts. And that’s before making a case for the costs of Middle East conflicts being factored into the true cost of gasoline, which is probably closer to $14 a gallon with them included. If you’re going to stand on a playing field railing about liberal government agendas, at least make sure it’s a level one.

MIKE,
I would try to squeeze in at least something that debunks the meme that our cars arent green because they run on electricity which comes from coal.
Gasoline doesn't fall of the tree and into your gas tank. It has a long and very dirty production chain, including the extraction, transportation (commonly hauled in ships from Alaska and Arabia) and refining, then it has to travel in tens of thousands of trucks daily to your gasoline station.

It might be worth mentioning that the federal EV subsidies are set to expire after a certain number of cars, unlike the oil subsidies. I also find the 98.5% figure for electric driving to read oddly. Many people will assume you pulled that out of nowhere. You might add a comment to the effect that you keep very detailed records.

mwalsh said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
g

LOL! Not sure I want to waste my energy seeing anything else this guy has a mind to write. He's clearly a knuckle-head!

sadly, this country is full of a lot of them and for some reason they manage to reproduce a lot and to vote. I don't get worked up over it, I have very low expectations and am occasionally pleasantly surprised when a light bulb turns on in one of these whack jobs. Mostly they live in echo chambers, isolated from anyone willing to actually engaged them with differing ideas. Luckily, markets are swayed heavily by the buying habits of remarkably small groups. I figure if we get 15% saturation, manufacturers will make the transition and the rest of the lemmings will follow along... I can dream.
g

I've had a couple of emails back and forth with Mark. He continues to harp on the subsidies that EV owners and PV systems get.
His first response to his article was:

Thanks so much for your comments Mr. Becker.
Just a few points in response:
How economical do you think your roof-top system and your plug-in car would be without subsidies of other peoples' tax money?
My guess is you wouldn't have opted to pay full price for either your solar or EV set ups.
But if you would be willing, why not return the subsidies?
At your service in Christ . . .

My response was:

How do you like having your gasoline subsidized by my tax money to support the military? Excuse the flip answer because I really want to shed light where there is heat. Fareed Zakaria had an interview with a recently retired Navy Admiral who stated that there were four reasons for our involvement in bringing stability to the Middle East and the first was OIL. You may not be aware but we Americans are sending over $1 Billion dollars per day to foreign countries for their oil. So for this example, I would think that any family that has lost a loved one protecting our supply of oil would be happy to subsidize my electric vehicle as an alternative. When Nixon created the 55 mph speed limit during the oil embargo of 1973, we were importing 1/3 of the oil we use. Today that number is 2/3 (between 13 and 14 million barrels per day). Thus, you can see why I take objection to a rather lopsided reporting of EVs. Regarding how economical the EV is, let me walk you through my analysis.
First of all, I am encouraging my Congressmen to only subsidize EVs for the next 5 years. The reason for that is that some people like yourself have not done the math regarding EVs and only look at first cost, not to mention pollution benefits, imported oil benfits, etc. Thus, they need that extra push to entertain driving an EV as a second car.
We traded in a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser in March of 2011 for our 2011 Nissan LEAF. The LEAF has a battery warranty of eight years at which time the battery can be recycled or, because it has anywhere from 70 - 80% capacity remaining, some utilities are looking at using that capacity for banks of them to store energy at night and to supply energy during peak times. In the case of the PT Cruiser, we paid $25,000 for it new and added about $1,000 in trim upgrades when we bought the car. When we traded it in we had to threaten to walk out of the dealership based on the trade-in value. They came up to $3,400 which was $600 less than we wanted but we acquiesced. I raise that point because after eight years any car is going to be worth very little in comparison with purchase cost. Thus, the argument about replacement batteries is ill informed. First, those batteries do have additional uses. Second, the batteries are recyclable and third, you can just trade it in for a new EV without losing much versus trading in an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle.
The PT Cruiser got 20 mpg in the city and around 24 mpg on trips. Because the LEAF is an urban car I've used 20 mpg and an 8 year life for both vehicles. Driving 12,000 miles per year, I would use 4,800 gallons of gas at $3.86 per gallon (premium, it had the high HP engine) for a total life cost of $18,528. That does not include oil changes, filter changes, tune ups, etc. For the LEAF, in our case because of our PV set up we don't pay for the electricity. But to put it more like the average homeowner without PV, I'm factoring in the cost of electricity. Our LEAF currently is showing 4.7 miles per kWh. To make this more conservative I'll use 4.0 miles per kWH. Driving 12,000 miles per year equals 3,000 kWh or 24,000 kWh over the life of the car. Using night time rates, our utility charges $0.05 per kWh. These time-of-use (TOU) rates are at night when the utilities have excess generation capacity. You may be aware of how electricity is "tiered" so that a constant demand is satisfied by the cheapest method of generation and that peak periods use more costly methods of generation. Thus, the lifetime cost of the electricity would be $1,200.
Now the LEAF cost $35,000 and the PT Cruiser cost $26,000. Once I subtract the savings of the cost of fuel of the LEAF ($18,528 - $1,200) which is $17,328, it turns out that despite the LEAF costing $9,000 more, it is $8,328 cheaper to own over the life of the car. AND THIS IS WITHOUT SUBSIDIES OF ANY KIND! My career was in finance, so yes I would purchase the LEAF without any subsidies. It just makes economic sense.
The battery technology is forecast to double the range of the vehicle in 4 to 5 years (statement by Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Nissan) which should make these cars even more attractive to the general public. Between that increase in volume and the cost of ownership numbers I've just presented, a subsidy should not be needed. BUT WE NEED IT NOW BECAUSE THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS NOT AWARE OF THESE ADVANTAGES, especially after reading articles such as yours. That's why I'd like to see you perhaps have a follow up article giving some of the other side of the story.
Regarding photovoltaics, the Federal Government recognizes the need for infrastructure modernization of our electrical grid. More transmission lines need to be built. And in many cases with great resistance by individuals that don't want a 400,000 volt line anywhere near them. Also, because of our grid short comings we are told that we need to create a "smart" grid for an additional expense. Then, there is the cost to electrical users of the health consequences of more coal fired electrical generation. We're warned about mercury and other toxic substances that coal generation means. And finally, Dr. Richard B. Alley is an American geologist and Evan Pugh Professor of Geosciences at the Pennsylvania State University. He has some interesting empirical evidence about global warming and the "tipping point" we may be approaching regarding climate. I could go into detail but what he has done is hard science, not "gut feel". Thus, the question becomes, how do we want to pay for all of this?
My PV system generates more than enough energy for our use. That energy does not have to travel scores or hundreds of miles to reach me, hence I am not a burden on the overtaxed grid. When I do purchase power from the utility it is at night when the grid is lightly loaded. The energy I produce is when the utility needs the energy the most during the day. Next, the extra energy that I produce doesn't travel miles and miles, but travels right next door to my neighbor for their use. The utility pays me $0.023 per kWh and charges my neighbor $0.10 per kWh. The energy produced is pollution free. It neither contributes to global warming due to CO2, nor does it generate large quantities of excess heat that must be sent into the atmosphere.
One last point is that by subsidizing distributed power generation, jobs are created for the small business man in selling and installing PV equipment.
The point I am making is that you may object to my taking advantage of something that is good for me, good for the country, and good for the environment but the taxpayer and consumer will ultimately pay in one way or the other regardless if I install these renewable items. Finally, I believe that it is better for the government to put these benefits directly in the hands of regular consumers than to "bail out" or subsidize some large company like they did with the banks and the auto industry. Wouldn't it be better to subsidize a taxpayer rather than a big business, especially when it is good for the country and the environment?
I once heard that everyone's personality is shaped by the time they are five years old. I said that once to a guy that was wise way beyond his education when he responded by saying "and they spend the rest of their life justifying their position." Thus, I don't know if I've changed your mind at all, but at least you have some understanding why I took exception to your article.

He then wrote back:

Dear Mr. Becker,
When you contact your congressman, please tell him to return my tax money to me, rather than spend it on you.
Here's why I take exception to your points.
As for subsidies, let's get rid of all of them and see what the market really prefers. With the money you save in taxes you might still be able to afford solar/EV et al.

My second response was (pay attention to the last line - these guys aren't guided by logic):

You are playing right into the hands of OPEC and the Saudi's. I'm beginning to wonder who's side you're on. Recently I saw a CNN interview by Fareed Zakaria who was interviewing a Saudi Prince. Forbes had this guy listed as the 26th most wealthy individual in the world. His statement was that OPEC would like to see the cost of a barrel of oil to range between $70 to $80 per barrel rather than the $100 per barrel that it currently is at. The reason was that at $100 per barrel the West would find alternatives. If you had read Alan Greenspan's book or John Hofmeister's book you would realize that OPEC has the ability to control the price of oil by the volume that they release to the market. The only thing that is keeping it elevated at the moment is the speculation that is going on in the market. What I am trying to do and the rest of us that know the value of EVs is to lessen our need for foreign oil.
I might also point out that the U.S. Government subsidized the very media we are communicating on. The Internet was spawned by the government. You're probably too young to know that the U.S. Government started the computer age. The very first computers were built for the U.S. Military to be able to calculate shell trajectories. They showed how valuable a programmable calculator could be and gave it its start.
You're argument is one of passion, not logic. You aren't well enough read to continue this discourse. I don't expect a reply.

ERG4ALL said:
He then wrote back:

Dear Mr. Becker,
When you contact your congressman, please tell him to return my tax money to me, rather than spend it on you.
Here's why I take exception to your points.
As for subsidies, let's get rid of all of them and see what the market really prefers. With the money you save in taxes you might still be able to afford solar/EV et al.
Yes sir - let's let the market decide! Because the market always makes decisions based on long-term returns - not short-term profit! Mine-mine-mine! And all that pesky pollution - no big deal - I'll just dump the hazardous waste where it's convenient - oil spills - no worries - it'll clean itself up in time. Polluted ground-water - no problem - not my well! That would cost money to clean up and take away from my profits!!! :roll:

ERG4ALL said:
Does he really believe that he's doing "God's work"? How much kool-aid has he drunk?

I have to hand it to the guy, he did apparently do a lot of writing between a couple of us today! He's a hard core les e fair, religious capitalist. I actually enjoyed the five or six emails we shared. He finally admitted, as he did in an above email that it's the principle of tax payer subsidy more than anything that gets to him. He believes that it's fundamentally not the governments role to meddle with the free market.

"George,

I'm for paying the military to protect us from those who would do us harm. That's its role. Not to insure economic prosperity or stability.

I'm against all forms of crony capitalism, which is just welfare queens in $1,000 suits.

My column hammered electric cars not just because they are impractical, but because they are subsidized. I'm no expert in all things practical. But when things are subsidized by taxpayers we cannot determine what is truly practical because it isn't allowed to succeed or fail in the market. Design, build and buy all the EVs you like. Just not with my money, or money taken from others who haven't expressly approved its use.

Whether EVs "deserve" better than my rant, I'll leave to others to judge. But EVs don't deserve my or anyone else's money unless I or anyone else voluntarily write the check.

Incidentally, I write continually about eliminating subsidies on all industries. You apparently missed those.

I don't believe I used the words "conservative vs liberal" in the column. Perhaps you read them into it. "
_______

I do think it's worth considering how you get through to someone like this, because there are a lot of folks out there that are hard headed and stuck on principle, just like Mark. I think the thing to keep bringing home is the economics. Religious fundamentalists tend to seem to relate to free market capitalism (which I find a little odd, especially when they start saying stuff like "survival of the fittest", I thought they didn't believe in evolution, LOL. forgive me for stereotyping)

In my final response today, I drove home the economic angle mostly, I think it's the only language they are going to hear. I know that eventually these folks will stop simply regurgitating their partisan/religious yammering and actually stop and listen, they do love the freedom to choose, a good deal, that is.

"Mark, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I see more where you are coming from. I think it would have been more effective in your article to focus your ire on the tax credits for EV's rather than speak so clumsily about a technology you know very little about. Your views have merit, however your lack of journalism in this particular article do little to promote them. In any case, the subsidy for EV's is set to run out early on in the introduction, and I do hope you reconsider your position and hopefully at least go drive an EV, do the math on what they cost per mile to drive. It's 2.2 cents a mile for us on the Leaf, yes that's roughly 1/10th the cost of driving a regular gas car, in other words the car will pay for its self over 10-15 years, even faster as gas goes up. Our family of four is on track with saving about $2,000 a year on fuel alone by relying mainly on our LEAF for the bulk of our driving... it's not a hobby as you called it, it's hard economics and a way out of foreign oil and definitely viable without a government subsidy. there are still some hurdles for this new technology, but it does show much more promise than your article suggests."

Guys like this don't generally buy arguments about clean air and the environment, climate change is not part of their religion accept maybe to hasten Armageddon, which I've heard some argue as a good thing. They do tend to dislike foreign oil and the middle east and have tremendous faith in the free market. I think we need to work on arguments that speak to these folks for when we come across them, some of them hold positions of considerable power. If we can figure out how they tick and how to win them over, the transition to EV's will go much faster.

GaslessInSeattle said:
"George,

I'm for paying the military to protect us from those who would do us harm. That's its role. Not to insure economic prosperity or stability.
Ummm.. protection from those who do us harm is a requirement for economic prosperity AND stability.

Seriously - can this guy not see that?

GaslessInSeattle said:
I'm against all forms of crony capitalism, which is just welfare queens in $1,000 suits.
So I guess he's against welfare, too. Why do so many religious organizations then insist on helping the poor?

GaslessInSeattle said:
Just not with my money, or money taken from others who haven't expressly approved its use.
If he would like to live in such a place - he needs to find a place far, far away from others - otherwise there is no chance of this ever occurring! Does he really want to live in a bubble of his own complete control without any unauthorized external influences?

Maybe someone should point out the obvious to him. At least with the $7500 federal subsidy, it's not his money. It reduces your tax liability but does not pay you from any of his. If you're in the situation I am in, as some others here have mentioned, I don't have a $7500 tax liability, so I won't get the entire credit unless I lease. (Nissan apparently has a large enough corporate tax liability to claim the entire $7500 for all leases). However, in no case does this ever give you any of his tax money.

tps said:
Maybe someone should point out the obvious to him. At least with the $7500 federal subsidy, it's not his money. It reduces your tax liability but does not pay you from any of his. If you're in the situation I am in, as some others here have mentioned, I don't have a $7500 tax liability, so I won't get the entire credit unless I lease. (Nissan apparently has a large enough corporate tax liability to claim the entire $7500 for all leases). However, in no case does this ever give you any of his tax money.
"Never get into a pissing contest with a skunk."

jcesare said:
tps said:
"Never get into a pissing contest with a skunk."

he works for a newspaper that calls public schools, the tax-supported schools.

he signs off to folks he doesnt know with a religious valedictory, not caring what their reaction might be.
he is a missionary working for a paper with a mission.
look up freedom newspapers.

the review, as many have pointed out, had nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with his opposition to tax preferences, which exist throughout our economy. that is, if we can believe his statement above that he opposes all sorts of tax preferences and subsidies. Home mortgage and property tax? group health care premiums paid with pre-tax money? i doubt that he refuses to take those.
what if I dont like to support his hobby--homeownership.

I'd only waste my breath clarifying the issues to a columnist who's ignorant about the issues but are open-minded to understand them better. This guy is not worth wasting our time on because he's already made up his mind when he wrote that article. He didn't write it out of ignorance. He wrote it with malicious intent.

OMG! Why do I take this friggin' paper? And why do I live in this friggin' County???? :shock: Today in Letters to the Editor:

Thanks to columnist Mark Landsbaum for his commentary on the gross shortcomings of electric cars as viable transportation. In light of their impracticality as daily commuters, one wonders why there is any interest in them. Of course, the makers receive perks from the government for attempts. If they fail, the government bails them out so it's win-win for General Motors and the startups.

The biggest question is "Why is the government relentlessly pushing the electric car?" They plan and promote EV charging stations to lure customers despite the fact that the addition of 100 million electric cars would probably exceed our generating capacity in most parts of the country.

One theory is control. The internal-combustion-powered car and, yes, big oil, afford Americans a great deal of freedom. Freedom to take a 300-mile trip for any reason, to make long commutes, and countless other examples. This freedom does not fit the model of a controlling government.

Americans need to know the facts, including the total cost of ownership, and question the government's fanatical promotion of one more example of junk science.

William B. Bingham
Fountain Valley

William B Bingham,
xxxxx Rosewood St,
Fountain Valley

Anyone want to go tear up his lawn with our impractical electric cars? ;)

mwalsh said:
One theory is control. The internal-combustion-powered car and, yes, big oil, afford Americans a great deal of freedom. Freedom to take a 300-mile trip for any reason, to make long commutes, and countless other examples. This freedom does not fit the model of a controlling government.
LOL - control???

One can easily build their own completely off-grid power system that will charge their electric vehicle. You can power this system with solar, wind or if you live near a stream, even small-scale hydro. Not so easy to do with a gas car. You going to go start drilling the Gulf of Mexico for oil and build your own refinery?

Completely backwards!

In light of their impracticality as daily commuters
This is an outright lie; daily commuting is an area where electric cars excel. But since it appears in print, it must be right, or at least 100 others will repeat is as truth. :(

This seems appropriate.

"How to deal with an internet argument:"
http://laughingsquid.com/comic-flowchart-on-how-to-deal-with-internet-arguments/

jcesare said:
This seems appropriate.

"How to deal with an internet argument:"
http://laughingsquid.com/comic-flowchart-on-how-to-deal-with-internet-arguments/

Actually, I think in this case it was worth engaging this guy, at least I can speak for myself and say I better understand what his kind think and since they seem to be gaining political power, I do find it useful to understand them even if I can't do anything to change their minds.

I am working on a list of the benefits of EV's that is aimed at appealing to those that might be swayed by folks like Mark, but have not quite finished the glass of cool aid yet, people who still have their reasoning partly in tact.

As for People like Mark who have already become set in their ways, perhaps its best not to engage them to much, as some have said, lest they find out just how behind the curve they actually are and focus even more of their wrath on trying to slow the spread of EV's. IMHO, we are close to the tipping point where the cat is so out of the bag that this whole thing is going to pick up so much momentum that it will become unstoppable under it's own momentum, even without subsidy.

g

Back