Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
qwk said:
scottf200 said:
No, I've ridden in a Tesla S but have not ridden in a ELR so why would I try to push him to a Model S <grin>.
Obviously I'm a Tesla fan but you often are over the top and put many people off. I have you on my ignore list on the TMC site and you are about to go there here too because you never provide details just some outlandish remarks.

You need to provide specifics. As an example the ELR has Active Noise Cancellation so even on the highway the road noise is not impactful to the quiet and smooth ride.

It also has adaptive cruise control with crash mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, and a Side Blind Zone Alert system with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Some people don't like reality. I'm not one of them. If you have me on ignore, why in the world would you reply to one of my posts?

I'll be brutally honest here, I get a kick out of your license plate, but it's silly to say F-opec, and then turn around and buy a car that burns gasoline. To funny. I hate Opec too, but am smart enough to support the choice that uses no gasoline. That at least makes sense.
Again no specifics? I pointed out some cool things/advantages (currently) with the ELR.

Again, as I stated I have you on my ignore list on TMC. As I stated I didn't here but I will now.

I drive as much as I can on electric but need to travel father fairly often. Quite simple. Getting close to 27K of electric miles from the plug in my garage in my Volt. As you know/should I have a deposit on a Model X. The ~75 summer EV mile cars are not viable to me especially after a few years of battery capacity degradation.

No reason to respond to me because you are now on my ignore list.

scottf200 said:
Again no specifics? I pointed out some cool things/advantages (currently) with the ELR.
Again, as I stated I have you on my ignore list on TMC. As I stated I didn't here but I will now.

I drive as much as I can on electric but need to travel father fairly often. Quite simple. Getting close to 27K of electric miles from the plug in my garage in my Volt. As you know/should I have a deposit on a Model X. The ~75 summer EV mile cars are not viable to me especially after a few years of battery capacity degradation.

No reason to respond to me because you are now on my ignore list.
Specifics? The ELR is all fluff, no substance. Only the uninformed or a fool would buy one. Isn't rewarding incompetence great(bailout)?

Like I said, your plate is the equivalent of somebody saying I hate Wal-mart(sticker and all), but they still shop there. Nuff said.

I love the adaptive cruise on our other vehicle. It can even bring the car to a stop and follow the car in front of me all automatically during rush hour. I never have to touch the brake or accelerator... It can even keep it centered in the lane and follow shallow curves. It is almost eerie to watch it work...

smkettner said:
Adaptive cruise control is not fluff.

TomT said:
I love the adaptive cruise on our other vehicle. It can even bring the car to a stop and follow the car in front of me all automatically during rush hour. I never have to touch the brake or accelerator... It can even keep it centered in the lane and follow shallow curves. It is almost eerie to watch it work...

smkettner said:
Adaptive cruise control is not fluff.

Yup. I'm not totally sure I'd want to spend 80 grand on a car and not get it.

And you thought the 'base' ELR was expensive ... how does $89,500 grab you for a Saks Fifth Ave 'special' edition ?

Now we're definitely talking Tesla S pricing territory

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131111/green/131109815#ixzz2kd1eANL8

Cadillac-Saks-Fifth-Avenue-Special-Edition-ELR.jpg

Here's a not-very-flattering review of the E L R by Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/25/2015-cadillac-elr-review-first-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The author's main problem was when the engine kicked on:

The engine droned annoyingly for the next hour as I played on the famed Mulholland Highway, going up and down the windy canyons like a slot car. I put the ELR through its paces, testing the effective brakes and really enjoying the surprisingly useful Regen on Demand feature. Overall, the ELR was fun to drive, but I couldn't shake the bothersome combustion clatter. Only when the road flattened out did the engine's pace subside to a bearable level, and some tranquility was restored. I turned on the audio system, which drowned it out even more, and headed back with the flowing traffic.

That complaint about engine noise isn't completely valid... well at least I think he could have mitigated it. Notice what he did, he ran the battery out, then switched to mountain mode. Just for laughs I put my Volt in mountain mode once (even though the nearest mountains are 600 miles away) when the battery had run out... the engine immediately engages warp factor 9, working to add charge to the battery as fast as possible. If you know you have a lot of mountains coming using hold mode should avoid that. Is Mulholland drive that long an upgrade he really needed to build up extra charge? Or did he just put it in mountain mode because that seemed like the right thing to do?

Perhaps but Cadillac has been bragging how they have mitigated the noise and vibration in the XLR, what with active cancellation and all that, so I would have expected it to NOT be an issue under any circumstances in a 76 grand car!

LTLFTcomposite said:
That complaint about engine noise isn't completely valid... well at least I think he could have mitigated it. Notice what he did, he ran the battery out, then switched to mountain mode.

TomT said:
... I would have expected it to NOT be an issue under any circumstances in a 76 grand car!
Maybe. But that's a little like saying you won't buy a Model S until you can tow a boat with it from NY to LA and recharge in two minutes. There are pluses and minuses to everything, and mountain mode (which should almost never be needed) is noisy on the Volt, and apparently on the ELR as well.

I'd be interested to hear the assessment/measurement of engine noise in normal extended range mode.

Only when the road flattened out did the engine's pace subside to a bearable level, and some tranquility was restored. I turned on the audio system, which drowned it out even more, and headed back with the flowing traffic.
Sounds like he didn't have the audio system on and I would have thought that was required to get the noise cancellation ... you could even play it quiet I would guess. Some classical music would seem to fit.

I've turned Moutain Mode on early in my flat land trip to drive electric at my destination for a demo. The ICE noise is no different when it kicks on. i.e. start off at ~45 est miles, turn on MtnMode and it changes to ~30 est miles. After 30 miles the ICE turns on quietly (this was 65 highway). I have YET to have anyone know the ICE turned on when driving on the highway. I tell them and they seem shocked because there was no perceivable difference (road/tire noise).

Turning on the MtnMode with say 5 est miles left will cause it to run at a high RPM? Why? It thinks you forgot and you are coming up on the mountain very soon (i.e. < 15 miles).

scottf200 said:
Turning on the MtnMode with say 5 est miles left will cause it to run at a high RPM? Why? It thinks you forgot and you are coming up on the mountain very soon (i.e. < 15 miles).
Running in normal mode you still get "idle stop" behavior even at low SOC (at least I do on my 2013). In mountain mode it was revving like crazy even while stopped at a light. In Florida the reason to use mountain mode is to put some juice back in the battery so you can keep the AC running while you go into the store. I'm sure future generations will thank me for such thoughtful use of resources.

At the SF Auto Show, I saw the Cadillac ELR on a rotating platform w/the charge door open. There was only J1772 inlet and no room around it even for the 2 extra Frankenplug pins below in the same way the Volt has the same space issue. So, I guess there's no (J1772/Mennekes CCS) DC FC for the ELR either.

Back