Official California SDG&E Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunwest Electric called me this morning to schedule my EVSE install - when I asked them about the 2nd meter install they said to contact SDG&E to get them to come out and do a site survey to figure out where to install the meter. Unfortunately, they didn't have a phone number, so I just sent off an email to [email protected] and [email protected]. The only phone number I found was 858-654-8374, but that went to someone's voicemail. Anyone have a better contact?

That 8374 number worked well for me. I got a call back within an hour or so when I called that one about my second meter. Here's all the numbers and email addresses I found useful as I chased my Blink install around.
SDG&E EVStudy: [email protected] or 858-654-1268
SDG&E EVStudy (The one I called about the 2nd meter): 858-654-8374

EV Project San Diego Office:
Andrew Hoskinson
Area Manager
619-559-2118
[email protected]
Actually, you want Adrienne in the same office, but this number will work.

SunWest
Shawn Cook, Project Manager
[email protected]
(714) 678-0083 Office - (714) 264-1183 Mobile - (714) 630-8740 Fax

davewill said:
That 8374 number worked well for me. I got a call back within an hour or so when I called that one about my second meter. Here's all the numbers I found useful as I chased my Blink install around.

davewill posted these in the other thread about the SDG&E pilot study (thanks again!). I called 'em both, too, but I had drees' experience with 8374--got what sounded like a personal voicemail box, no call back. The 1268 number worked for me, however; got a guy who looked me up, found the study had already been done and sent (but apparently lost), sent me a PDF which is all the Sunwest folks needed.

It was also used by the city inspector when that happened, so it's a handy document.

lonndoggie said:
I called 'em both, too, but I had drees' experience with 8374--got what sounded like a personal voicemail box, no call back.
As did I, but I got a prompt call back. Anyway, that's why I put both of them in there, just in case. That other thread has a lot of good info in it, if you haven't looked there.

I left a message with the 8374 number - if I don't hear back by noon tomorrow, I'll try the other one.

drees, I suggest you call or e mail Adrienna Lovejoy at 619 272 4280 [email protected]. she is the Ecotalty coordinator here in San Diego. She works with SDG&E to coordinate work orders for the second meter. She is outstanding to work with and responds promptly.

I finally got the info from SDG&E about the meter codes. I have been frustrated with their responsiveness. But, I have to say Ken with the net metering dept is great! So, no frustration with him. Here are the codes. In summary if you net meter and take the difference between code 10 and code 11 you get hour over generation or under generation.

Now a question for everyone else. Does your second meter have any of the codes below for On Peak, Semi Peak and Off Peak? Mine only has 10 for total? Are they getting this from Blink? My main meter has all the TOU codes. Not sure how they are going to bill the car.

Hope this helps those interested.
Dave

- Meter ID code
01 - Date
02 - Time of Day
03 - On Peak KwH
04 - On Peak KW
05 - Semi Peak KwH
06 - Semi Peak KW
07 - Off Peak KwH
08 - Off Peak KW
10 - Total KwH
11 - Total KwH (received)
20 - Prev Season (P.S.) TTL KwH
23 - P.S. On Peak KwH
24 - P.S. On Peak KW
25 - P.S. Semi Peak KwH
26 - P.S. Semi Peak KW
27 - P.S. Off Peak KwH
28 - P.S. Off Peak KW
88 - Time used on battery
89 - Meter Program ID
96 - Error Display
99 - Segment list

The second (EVSE) meter has a different Program ID which includes fewer values in the display rotation.
Code:
Normal Display Items
1. 	All Segments
2. 	Meter ID 2
3. 	01 Current Date
4. 	02 Current Time
5. 	10 Total Summation 1 - kWh Total Del Only F+H
6. 	88 Security Log Cum Power Outage Duration
7. 	89 Program ID

Alternate Display Items
1. 	01 Security Log Power Outages
2. 	02 Security Log Demand Resets
3. 	03 Security Log Date Last Demand Reset
4. 	04 Security Log Time Last Demand Reset
5. 	05 Security Log Date Last Programming
6. 	06 Security Log Time Last Programming
7. 	07 Last Reset Total Summation 1 - kWh Total Del Only F+H
8. 	08 Last Reset Max Demand 1 - kW Total Del Only F+H
9. 	09 Instantaneous Demand 1 - kW Total Del Only F+H
To get the Alternate Display items, hold a magnet near the 2:00 position on the meter face.

drees said:
I left a message with the 8374 number - if I don't hear back by noon tomorrow, I'll try the other one.

drees - did you get the 2nd meter in? i'm trying to make my way forward to get SDG&E/Eco to finish the inspection of the EVSE install & approve the 2nd meter install

opencar said:
drees - did you get the 2nd meter in? i'm trying to make my way forward to get SDG&E/Eco to finish the inspection of the EVSE install & approve the 2nd meter install
The blink and meter socket should be going in tomorrow morning... after it's inspected by the city SDG&E should come out and install the meter - so if all goes well end of next week or the following week should have the actual meter installed.

davekern said:
Does your second meter have any of the codes below for On Peak, Semi Peak and Off Peak? Mine only has 10 for total? Are they getting this from Blink? My main meter has all the TOU codes. Not sure how they are going to bill the car.
Now that I got my car I took your code list and the code list posted by GroundLoop and read my meters, intending to try to reconcile those numbers with Blink's.

And now I finally understand your question, and I have the same question. On the house where time of day doesn't matter they have readings by time of day. On the car where time of day is crucial they have only total kWh summed across all times of day. I can imagine three ways they might bill us:

1) Maybe the EVSE meter actually records all the TOU data and transmits it to SDG&E but does not display it to customers. So charges would be accurate but unverifiable.

2) Maybe for the EV Project only they're going to use the Blink data as you suggested they might. Blink doesn't seem to maintain very useful statistics for the user: just aggregate kWh without TOU, plus TOU data for the last "charge" only which may well be an insignificant climate pre-conditioning, missing the charging. But Blink may be transmitting the full information event by event to the EV Project and SDG&E. In this case charges would be approximately accurate, but again unverifiable.

3) Maybe the varying TOU rates are a placebo, and they're going to charge us all the super off-peak rates for everything regardless of when we charge. They're interested in how the rates affect our charging behavior, so it matters that we *think* that TOU rates will be applied. But they aren't interested so much in a few dollars difference from an insignificant number of customers, so they haven't yet bothered working out a way to actually record our usage.

drees said:
opencar said:
The blink and meter socket should be going in tomorrow morning... after it's inspected by the city SDG&E should come out and install the meter - so if all goes well end of next week or the following week should have the actual meter installed.

well, got the car but no 2nd meter yet. they finished inspection yesterday & so i'm hoping next week. trickle charging is not that fun....anybody have ideas about how long it takes to get from inspection done to 2nd meter install? since the meter socket is exterior, i probably don't have to be at home right?

TonyWilliams said:
walterbays said:
After inspection they come out very soon to pop in the meter, one or two days. You need not be home

Ditto.

I did call them, though, to offer a reminder that my car will arrive any day. The meter showed up that day.

cool, thanks for the responses guys

walterbays said:
1) Maybe the EVSE meter actually records all the TOU data and transmits it to SDG&E but does not display it to customers. So charges would be accurate but unverifiable.
Absolutely, yes. That's why both meters are GE TOU meters.

They're synchronized, and record the same time slots. They have to in order to subtract the EVSE usage from the House usage.

Try charging during Peak and see what shows up on your bill -- the rate structure is CPUC regulated; no placebos here.

(And they don't transmit -- they're read via a walk-up meter reader with a data terminal)

GroundLoop said:
walterbays said:
Absolutely, yes. That's why both meters are GE TOU meters
Thanks again.

I wonder why, since the meters are clearly capable of displaying the TOU data, they set the EV meter to not display that data. That seems to be contrary to the motivation for "smart" meters, which is to give consumers information to influence their timing of electricity use. Why withhold the information? I suppose they could think that we can get all the information we need from the Blink unit (debatable) or from Carwings (laughable) and shouldn't bother our pretty little heads with all the complicated numbers on the meter. :-(

walterbays said:
I wonder why, since the meters are clearly capable of displaying the TOU data, they set the EV meter to not display that data. That seems to be contrary to the motivation for "smart" meters, which is to give consumers information to influence their timing of electricity use. Why withhold the information?
It's weird, all right.
The only difference in programming between the two meters is the display rotation. They probably got it backwards and meant to display the extra values on the EVSE meters, but they are consistently backwards. Who knows.

Back