Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
leaffan said:
Nope, that isn't true. I will keep my place in line because it isn't my fault about the dashboard screw up. Nissan told me. I know I would have had an Aug. ordering month if this hadn't happened.

I hope you are right, and they will do justice to you.

But, back during reservations, people who had problems with the site and ordered late were told they will not be put late in priority either. Wonder how they fared ...

That may be a different problem. I have been told from three reliable sources that it is by reservation date and not order date. Nissan's Sup told me that first, then ECOtality, and today, a very knowledgeable dealer.

I just received an e-mail for my home assessment from Baker TSG in Escondido. According to the e-mail: "For next week, we are scheduling appointments on Thursday September 9th and Friday September 10th between the hours of 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM in two hour windows (i.e. 6-8, 8-10, etc)."

rwheat said:
"The ordering process for Nissan LEAF will be prioritized based on when consumers submitted their original reservations online and by the consumer’s market. Over the next several weeks, reservation holders will begin to receive emails informing them how to submit an order. They will contact a dealer to negotiate their price and finalize the order for the purchase or lease of Nissan LEAF."

"Once a consumer’s order has been agreed with a dealer it will be placed in sequence for production and delivery according to the consumer’s market. These future Nissan LEAF drivers will be informed of an estimated delivery timing upon completing the order process. "

Source: http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1855&mid=

A careful reading of this (my emphasis added above) states that "orders" are prioritized are based on reservations. "Delivery" is based on orders. That makes sense.

An analogy: Two lines at the fast food place. You get to the head of the line and the computer hiccups. The other line 3 people got in line after you, order before you. You get your food after they do. Place in line does not equate to delivery, order sequence does.

LEAFguy said:
rwheat said:
"The ordering process for Nissan LEAF will be prioritized based on when consumers submitted their original reservations online and by the consumer’s market. Over the next several weeks, reservation holders will begin to receive emails informing them how to submit an order. They will contact a dealer to negotiate their price and finalize the order for the purchase or lease of Nissan LEAF."

"Once a consumer’s order has been agreed with a dealer it will be placed in sequence for production and delivery according to the consumer’s market. These future Nissan LEAF drivers will be informed of an estimated delivery timing upon completing the order process. "
Source: http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1855&mid=
A careful reading of this (my emphasis added above) states that "orders" are prioritized are based on reservations. "Delivery" is based on orders. That makes sense.An analogy: Two lines at the fast food place. You get to the head of the line and the computer hiccups. The other line 3 people got in line after you, order before you. You get your food after they do. Place in line does not equate to delivery, order sequence does.

Sorry, not a good analogy. It depends on the place from which you buy. Some businesses are more fair than others by having one line and many cashiers. So if there is a problem with one cashier's comp, you just go to the next cashier, buy your item/s and they are delivered to you. No one goes ahead of you. LEAF orders will be similar. If there is a glitch and you can't order, you won't lose your place in line and you will be placed in sequence according to reservation date/time, and by the consumer's market.

Leaffan, I think you should also consider that Nissan customer support will likely tell you what you want to hear. And those other two (ecotality and a dealer) probably know less than we do here on the board.

WWBD said:
Leaffan, I think you should also consider that Nissan customer support will likely tell you what you want to hear. And those other two (ecotality and a dealer) probably know less than we do here on the board.

I'm just telling you what the Sup at Nissan said, a very knowledgeable dealer, and ECOtality. Actually, dealers get info from Nissan that we have no access to. Time will tell. ;)

I got a notice about the free charger and then heard nothing after that. I contacted Nissan to check on the status and in a week I had another email stating I wouldn't get the home inspection until I had officially ordered the car.

azwildbill2 said:
I got a notice about the free charger and then heard nothing after that. I contacted Nissan to check on the status and in a week I had another email stating I wouldn't get the home inspection until I had officially ordered the car.

Some people were 'pre-approved', so no home inspection was necessary. They'll just come about two weeks before your car is delivered and install it. :D

leaffan said:
azwildbill2 said:

Some people were 'pre-approved', so no home inspection was necessary. They'll just come about two weeks before your car is delivered and install it. :D

I was "approved" for EVP - but they wanted to do inspection - and did it. Not sure what is happening ...

evnow said:
leaffan said:
azwildbill2 said:

I was "approved" for EVP - but they wanted to do inspection - and did it. Not sure what is happening ...

Right! Approved and pre-approved are different. If they tell you that you don't need a free assessment after you have been approved, then you are 'pre-approved'.

leaffan said:
Right! Approved and pre-approved are different. If they tell you that you don't need a free assessment after you have been approved, then you are 'pre-approved'.

But the mail & status for approval / pre-approval were the same, right ?

evnow said:
leaffan said:

But the mail & status for approval / pre-approval were the same, right ?

I received my 'pre-approval' over the phone Aug. 17th, and when I asked about getting an assessment, he said I didn't need one and that it would be installed a few weeks before my LEAF delivery. It took Nissan all this time to correct my status and change my dashboard, but I'm happy now. What I saw from other people was that if they needed a free assessment (no pre-approval), the email from ECOtality would have you check a certain box and email it back.

azwildbill2 said:
This is very confusing information, as there are others who are hearing from Nissan that the home inspection from Ecotech will always be done before the order date: See the second post by user=. tzeweiu on this page http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1137&start=10.

TT

ttweed said:
azwildbill2 said:
This is very confusing information, as there are others who are hearing from Nissan that the home inspection from Ecotech will always be done before the order date: See the second post by user=. tzeweiu on this page http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1137&start=10.

TT

Yeah, I saw that post. The 'Chat' people are incorrect. They should change the word from "always" to 'most'. I've seen a few other people besides myself that were told by ECOtality that they wouldn't need an assessment because they were "pre-approved" and the dock would be installed a few weeks before delivery.

leaffan said:
Yeah, I saw that post. The 'Chat' people are incorrect. They should change the word from "always" to 'most'. I've seen a few other people besides myself that were told by ECOtality that they wouldn't need an assessment because they were "pre-approved" and the dock would be installed a few weeks before delivery.
Well, actually, that chat answer was predicated on the person having a "pending" application with Ecotech, not a "pre-approved" status like yours. All "pending" applications will require an assessment, no?

TT

Isn't it obvious that Ecotality MEANT to get them all done before the order dates but just fell behind? They're not only dealing with their own contractors, but also Nissan and the Federal Government (stimulus). Do you know what a mess it is to schedule these assessments? Not only does the Ecotality team have to arrange their travel out of state, but there are also representatives present at each assessment from local contractors and local utilities. It's a complicated endeavor.

WWBD said:
It's a complicated endeavor.
No doubt about that, but I feel that it is management's responsibility to devise an effective strategy and process to deal with the scope of the endeavor, and to communicate progress and goals to the customer well. I don't see that happening with Ecotality, unfortunately. Or with Nissan, for that matter.... :(

Just my $.02,
TT

All,

Just wanted to to tell you my experience. I was told that I had been approved for the EV project yesterday. I starting emailing people within the Ecototality organization at random that I found under their contact listing for Ecototality North America which happens to have a headquarters here in Phoenix. I received an email back from one of the contacts and then a phone call. I was one of those people that had received an email that ETEC needed more information and that I might still qualify for the program. Never had an assessment, and was never scheduled for one! I was frustrated by their lack of response. Apparently, they approved more people last month and an email was to go out letting you know you were approved into the EV project, however I never received one! I was told by ETEC that they updated Nissan with a list of people that were approved which enabled the ordering email to go out to me! Anyone that was in limbo would not get an email, no matter what date they reserved? I am not sure this gels with other people's stories, but its the one I heard. I was able to place my order on the first day without ever having any assessment so who knows? Luckily, My I ordered the SL with the L3 connector, otherwise, ETEC said you will be disqualifed from the program which mean no free charger! The best part is once Nissan is notified you are part of the program, you do not have to pay the $700 for the quick charge port as ETEC also picks up that cost. Also, they are unsure about whether or not the Federal rebate(should you have to pay for a home charger) will be extended past 12/31, so make sure to get the installation before 12/31 if you want to make sure you get the rebate!

Timaz said:
All,

Just wanted to to tell you my experience. I was told that I had been approved for the EV project yesterday. I starting emailing people within the Ecototality organization at random that I found under their contact listing for Ecototality North America which happens to have a headquarters here in Phoenix. I received an email back from one of the contacts and then a phone call. I was one of those people that had received an email that ETEC needed more information and that I might still qualify for the program. Never had an assessment, and was never scheduled for one! I was frustrated by their lack of response. Apparently, they approved more people last month and an email was to go out letting you know you were approved into the EV project, however I never received one! I was told by ETEC that they updated Nissan with a list of people that were approved which enabled the ordering email to go out to me! Anyone that was in limbo would not get an email, no matter what date they reserved? I am not sure this gels with other people's stories, but its the one I heard. I was able to place my order on the first day without ever having any assessment so who knows? Luckily, My I ordered the SL with the L3 connector, otherwise, ETEC said you will be disqualifed from the program which mean no free charger! The best part is once Nissan is notified you are part of the program, you do not have to pay the $700 for the quick charge port as ETEC also picks up that cost. Also, they are unsure about whether or not the Federal rebate(should you have to pay for a home charger) will be extended past 12/31, so make sure to get the installation before 12/31 if you want to make sure you get the rebate!

From whom did you order Tim?
When mine was in limbo, I was told by the Sup that if I did get the ordering email, NOT to take a waiver and order the optional charge port. She told me this several times in no uncertain terms and she said the tech guys told her to tell me that.

Just received a call from the EcoTality assessor. I have been approved for the EV Project (quite a while ago). However, they need to do an assessment to determine if my installation will exceed the allowable cost. If so, I will be responsible for the additional cost. The assessor is coming on Friday to do the estimate. Further details when available.

Back