Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevini said:
I could not find one place where the DOE and BAAQMD amount are broken out, just the EV Project one specifying that it provides $400 and then the local press release where the up to $1200 is specified:

mig said:
Check the EV project terms & conditions, search for "ADDITIONAL TERMS THAT MAY APPLY BASED UPON YOUR GEOGRAPHICAL AREA"

https://www.blinknetwork.com/rpa-terms-and-conditions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevini said:
I could not find one place where the DOE and BAAQMD amount are broken out, just the EV Project one specifying that it provides $400 and then the local press release where the up to $1200 is specified:

https://www.blinknetwork.com/news-room/ecotality-wins-287m-in-bay-area-contracts-expands-the-ev-project-to-the-san-francisco-bay-area.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The total for my install was $1614, the EV Project credit was $1200 so my out of pocket was $414. I can upload the quote if anyone is interested.

it is a fantastic program and will definitely speed up the EV adoption we need!
Do I read it correctly that the program applies only to LEAF buyers? If so, it would speed up only for people who buys LEAFs. People who buys others EVs cannot take advantage of it.

Unfortunately it is only Leaf and Volt buyers currently. When the ev project launched I guess the need a standard BEV and PhEV.
We should ask if there is a plan to expand to other EV's now the selection is getting larger.

The reports the project generates are fascinating.

It's only LEAF and Volt buyers who are eligible because those were the two cars that were on the market when the program started and ECOtalityu made arrangements with the OEMs to get charging data from those two cars. Home charging data comes from the Blinks and public charging data comes from the Nissan/Chevy (OEM) data stream.

wishboneash said:
It's disgraceful, the SF Bay area supposedly with the most Leafs . . . . . . . . . . Snip
Link?
I find it incredible that the S.F. area has more Leafs than the L.A. area ... having population literally millions more (7 million versus 18 million).
That being said - the the most inexplicable blink charging install issue is that bay area residents enjoy roughly 3x as many Blink QC's as the L.A. area even though L.A. area sports MORE than double the population.
:eek: :? :shock:

silentguy said:
I can confirm that I got $400 from DOE and $250 from SPX.
So total was $650.00 towards installation, in Seattle.
I'm in Seattle too, but my new quote from McKinstry does not reflect a line item of $250 from SPX (what is that?).

PracticingHuman said:
I'm in Tacoma, and actually the guy from McKinstry is in the garage installing the charging station as I type this. The paperwork that I had to sign for EV Project shows the estimate from McKinstry then a line item deduction for $400 credit from EV Project.
Care to share what work was done in your garage and the cost? I'm currently working with them to get the installer out sometime soon, but hoping to get some of the work done ahead of time, to reduce their original estimate.

thanks.

thisguyfel said:
PracticingHuman said:
I'm in Tacoma, and actually the guy from McKinstry is in the garage installing the charging station as I type this. The paperwork that I had to sign for EV Project shows the estimate from McKinstry then a line item deduction for $400 credit from EV Project.
Care to share what work was done in your garage and the cost? I'm currently working with them to get the installer out sometime soon, but hoping to get some of the work done ahead of time, to reduce their original estimate.

thanks.

Absolutely. When they originally worked up the estimate I had a single 20A circuit running straight from the main service panel to the garage. After the EV Project credit McKinstry estimated $1429.76. I asked for a new estimate if I did the subpanel myself and it brought their estimate down to $697.16, a difference of $732.60.

To add the subpanel I got a SquareD with a 100A breaker and 8 slots, a 20A breaker for when I cut over the garage circuit to the panel, 50 ft. of 6/3 UF (code requires UF even in buried conduit), 40 ft. of #8 copper ground, a pair of 8 ft. grounding rods with acorn clamps, and a 50A breaker for the main. The most expensive part was the 6/3 which cost a little over $200. All told though, including renting the rotary hammer to drive the grounding rods the whole project cost me just over $400. The inspector gave high marks for the work. Took a couple of days all told. Totally worth it.

you are really set for future updates. I have someone who leased a LEAF last week and did the EVSE upgrade from Phil. He has a guy from TaEVA putting in a 20 amp (might be 40...) circuit for $100. but only need a breaker, bit of conduit/wire and a plug so add to that about $30 in parts

PracticingHuman said:
Absolutely. When they originally worked up the estimate I had a single 20A circuit running straight from the main service panel to the garage. After the EV Project credit McKinstry estimated $1429.76. I asked for a new estimate if I did the subpanel myself and it brought their estimate down to $697.16, a difference of $732.60.

thanks for the info!

so their work was still coming in at $1,000 - correct?

what all did they complete, considering you did a bulk of the work upfront (or in their estimate: $732.60 worth of work) ... i can't imagine all the work you did was "only" worth $732, specially considering your out of pocket for materials was $400.

sounds like there wasn't much left to be done but wire up the EVSE to the panel with some 8/3.

thisguyfel said:
thanks for the info!

No, it came it at $697.16, unless I misunderstand your question...

what all did they complete, considering you did a bulk of the work upfront (or in their estimate: $732.60 worth of work) ... i can't imagine all the work you did was "only" worth $732, specially considering your out of pocket for materials was $400.

sounds like there wasn't much left to be done but wire up the EVSE to the panel with some 8/3.

That is correct. They slapped in a 40A breaker, ran flex conduit to a 220 receptacle which they mounted, then mounted the charging station and the cord wrap. I assume there was 8/3 in the conduit but all told that amounted to a couple of feet at best, 3 feet tops. So yes, if you want to account for labor at 2.5 hours at most, they charged almost $700 just for a breaker, a couple feet of wire, and a receptacle.

I bet it's a cash cow for McKinstry, this EV Project contract. That was what, less than $50 in parts? Even if you figure labor at $120 an hour on the low end you have to wonder where it got padded to get to $700? The quote wasn't itemized so I don't know how they figured it.

PracticingHuman said:
thisguyfel said:
thanks for the info!

That is correct. They slapped in a 40A breaker, ran flex conduit to a 220 receptacle which they mounted, then mounted the charging station and the cord wrap. I assume there was 8/3 in the conduit but all told that amounted to a couple of feet at best, 3 feet tops. So yes, if you want to account for labor at 2.5 hours at most, they charged almost $700 just for a breaker, a couple feet of wire, and a receptacle.

I bet it's a cash cow for McKinstry, this EV Project contract. That was what, less than $50 in parts? Even if you figure labor at $120 an hour on the low end you have to wonder where it got padded to get to $700? The quote wasn't itemized so I don't know how they figured it.

My quote was itemized (wish I could upload images).... The EV project admin fee was $250. It is definitely good business. One thing the installer mentioned to me is she also services the Blink's so it is probably a wash!

oh sorry, I guess I was ass-uming and adding in the $400 project credit, to get to $1000-ish.

$697-$400 credit = $297 out of pocket?

PracticingHuman said:
thisguyfel said:
thanks for the info!

thisguyfel said:
oh sorry, I guess I was ass-uming and adding in the $400 project credit, to get to $1000-ish.

$697-$400 credit = $297 out of pocket?

The $697 is after the $400 credit, so that is the total out of pocket.

I made a mistake when I described the work they did:

They slapped in a 40A breaker, ran flex conduit to a 220 receptacle which they mounted, then mounted the charging station and the cord wrap. I assume there was 8/3 in the conduit but all told that amounted to a couple of feet at best, 3 feet tops. So yes, if you want to account for labor at 2.5 hours at most, they charged almost $700 just for a breaker, a couple feet of wire, and a receptacle.

Actually they did not use any flex conduit and it was 8/3 that they used.

PracticingHuman said:
The $697 is after the $400 credit, so that is the total out of pocket.

great, thanks for the clarification. I'm just hoping to get the best out-of-pocket cost ... and i'm befuddled with my current estimate, considering the remaining work is: (permit) connect wires, mount evse, then "commission" unit. $250 admin fee... sheesh.

As a comparison, mine cost me $700 out of pocket. This included having the electricians add the breakers inside my home, run wires down the inside of the walk to the crawl space, run wire under the house to a vent, elbow to outside conduit, conduit down and under a walkway (I dug trench), elbow up and then through garage wall, then conduit inside garage to new outlet and install and test unit.

Took from 10am-5pm

I just received my estimate from EcoTotality to have a Blink charger installed in my garage. I guess I'm lucky :roll: because it's ZERO after taking all the discounts in account. I did have their assigned electrician to the house, and he checked out my panel. Note that my panel is full, so I am guessing they're installing a subpanel in the garage and moving a couple of circuits to that to accommodate an extra breaker for the subpanel. The panel is in the house but is on a wall that adjoins the garage, so I think they've got easy access to get to the panel.

I guess they can still pull an "Oh, we forgot to tell you..." when they come to do the install, so we'll wait and see. I was told the "allowance" for labor was $650, and according to Ecototality. The charger unit was free. So if they come back to tell me they didn't realize a subpanel was needed, I will first note that their electrician pulled the cover off my panel, and if he couldn't see it was full and didn't hear me when I noted it was full, then they're not decent electricians. I'll hope all will be well, but right now it still seems too good to be true. Here's to hoping it isn't.

Whenever they show up, I'll take photos and note how it goes and report back here. :mrgreen:

It's interesting the difference in pricing between different contractors. When they installed mine, that had to run roughly 30 feet of flex from the sub panel in my garage to where the Blink was going to be, pull the wires through it, install an outlet near the location for the Blink, add a 40 amp breaker in an already-empty spot the box, and then install everything. Total cost to me was nothing.

Some months later, they wanted to come back out and hard-wire the unit (at not cost to me) but I said no... Apparently the LADWP was asking for this change to cut down on possible cheating. Since I am not on a TOU or a separate EV meter though, it would have made no difference anyway.

PracticingHuman said:
thisguyfel said:
thanks for the info! so their work was still coming in at $1,000 - correct?

what all did they complete, considering you did a bulk of the work upfront (or in their estimate: $732.60 worth of work) ... i can't imagine all the work you did was "only" worth $732, specially considering your out of pocket for materials was $400. sounds like there wasn't much left to be done but wire up the EVSE to the panel with some 8/3.

Just received my estimate: Add double 40 amp breaker, run 27 feet of #8 conductor in existing pvc conduit, install outlet, add single 20 amp breaker (for a 120v circuit), run 25 feet of #12 (in the same conduit). Install the Blink. Total $1200, less the $650 credits, which ends up being about $600 after adding sales tax.

I priced wire and outlets, and the highest retail price I could find was $200. So - $1000 for labor, which should be less than 2 hours.

Seems extremely excessive, but what can you do?

bronsonb said:
I just received my estimate from EcoTotality to have a Blink charger installed in my garage. I guess I'm lucky :roll: because it's ZERO after taking all the discounts in account. I did have their assigned electrician to the house, and he checked out my panel. Note that my panel is full, so I am guessing they're installing a subpanel in the garage and moving a couple of circuits to that to accommodate an extra breaker for the subpanel. The panel is in the house but is on a wall that adjoins the garage, so I think they've got easy access to get to the panel.
I doubt they will install a sub and still stay under the credits. More likely is that they will replace an existing 240V breaker with a quad:
ddbec389-b6e4-45f2-ab32-52dd751e35e3_400.jpg
which is two 240V breakers in the space of one. Most modern breaker panels will have at least a few spaces that will take these.

One warning. Slots that allow quad and tandem (2 x 120V in one) breakers have a slot cut in the metal tab in the panel. They can fit quads in a non-cut slot by breaking off a plastic tab on the back of the breaker. They may try to do this. I would suggest not allowing them to do such an install as it is against code. I have seen electricians avoid inspectors detecting this by combining other, existing circuits into (illegal) quads to make space for them to put their circuit in legally. Since the inspector typically only looks at the "new" work, this can go undetected.

Back