Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is like the 2011 through 2013 Leaf where you could select 80% (Standard) or 100% (Range) charging...

ILETRIC said:
Can someone explain what exactly does this mean? What is max available capacity of their traction battery?
Range, according to Mercedes-Benz, is estimated at 85 miles on the EPA standard, but we believe that can be boosted significantly higher by selecting “Range Mode” when charging the B-Class...

TomT said:
It is like the 2011 through 2013 Leaf where you could select 80% (Standard) or 100% (Range) charging...

ILETRIC said:
Can someone explain what exactly does this mean? What is max available capacity of their traction battery?
Range, according to Mercedes-Benz, is estimated at 85 miles on the EPA standard, but we believe that can be boosted significantly higher by selecting “Range Mode” when charging the B-Class...

Mercedes B-Class ED battery

36.0kWh total – 100.0% SOC
33.2kWh usable- 95.0% SOC - 100% / extended / range charge
28.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC - 80% normal charge
1.0kWh unusable- 2.7% SOC

TonyWilliams said:
Mercedes B-Class ED battery

36.0kWh total – 100.0% SOC
28.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC - 80% normal charge
1.0kWh unusable- 2.7% SOC

Thanks for doing the calculations on this! I see it made its way over to the B-Class EV Forum
http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13#p13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they have an 'optional range package' giving extra range for an undisclosed price.

http://insideevs.com/breaking-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-gets-optional-range-package/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[edit: removed the 25-30% because it's not clear as to how much extra range it will actually have]

If it follows the standard Tesla (and Leaf) format, it will be more like 15%... The difference between 80% and 100% charge.

The only way it could jump to 30% would be by unlocking a substantial amount of hidden reserve capacity in the pack (kind of like on a Tesla 40 versus 60 Kwh pack)....

gsleaf said:
Looks like they have an 'optional range package' giving 25-30% extra range for an undisclosed price.

http://insideevs.com/breaking-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-gets-optional-range-package/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like there is a "Range Package" as an add-on.

TomT said:
If it follows the standard Tesla (and Leaf) format, it will be more like 15%... The difference between 80% and 100% charge.

How efficiently do heated windshields work? Are they more efficient than heat pumps at keeping the windows defogged? We use a fair bit of energy keeping our 2012 defogged.

Okay, let's do the math...

If the MB delivers 3.7m/kW which is quite reasonable, it would mean 122.8 mile real-life freeway range. True of false?

I am not sure the range assumptions are correct. The referenced page with option pricing was taken from the Dealer Ordering Guide dated 2-2014 that I uploaded in its entirety. This same guide also states about the Range Package “This enables in increased range of up to 17 miles.” You will find this info on pages 8 and 11. It also shows a lot of different exterior and interior color combinations. I think there is likely still a lot of misinformation out there about this vehicle.

You can find the guide here http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/2014b-classelectricdrivedogpreliminary2014-02-10

Darren said:
I am not sure the range assumptions are correct. The referenced page with option pricing was taken from the Dealer Ordering Guide dated 2-2014 that I uploaded in its entirety. This same guide also states about the Range Package “This enables in increased range of up to 17 miles.” You will find this info on pages 8 and 11. It also shows a lot of different exterior and interior color combinations. I think there is likely still a lot of misinformation out there about this vehicle.

You can find the guide here http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/2014b-classelectricdrivedogpreliminary2014-02-10
Awesome find. Looks official like it really will have better range. I was a doubter. Heated windshield sounds good too. We almost ran out of charge stuck in stopped traffic during a snow storm trying to keep the windshield defogged. Will be interesting if/when they roll it out nationwide.

marta said:
The Range Package (option P58) comes with a heated windshield, range button (for extended range - approx 15% increase) and additional isolation of doors and roof (which I'm not sure what that means. Did they increase the rubber gasket to limit external bumps on the vehicle?).

Of course, no pricing options yet, but that indicates to me the range button will not be available on all of the B-Class Electric Drive vehicles they build.

This “range button” in the “middle counsel” sounds just like the same button on the LEAF.

It will bypass the normal 80% charge for a “100%” charge. Here’s my guess:

Range estimate based on steady 65mph indicated (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F.

36.0kWh total – 100% SOC - rated capacity, not available

33.2kWh usable @ 3.8 miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) = 126 miles (this is a full, or extended, or "range" charge)

28.0kWh usable @ 3.8 miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) = 106.4 miles (this is a "normal" charge)

Heated windshields, better heaters, etc, DO NOT INCREASE RANGE. They reduced the amount of range reduction from cold weather and energy used to counter cold weather effects.

So, to be clear, if your range is 126 miles today at 70F / 20C degrees with no heater use, the range when it’s cold will be LESS in otherwise identical conditions. Whatever that reduction is can be mitigated with battery heating, heated seats, steering wheel, and windscreen, and a proper heat pump cabin heater. The range, however, will not go above 126 miles, all other things besides temperature remaining equal.

Temperature Management System (TMS), of course, will be included just like every other Tesla powered vehicle produced.

So, all things considered, it is a 120-mile car. Good going, Benz!
Now put that cruise control on the right side of the steering wheel column, eh?

ILETRIC said:
So, all things considered, it is a 120-mile car. Good going, Benz!
Now put that cruise control on the right side of the steering wheel column, eh?

I don't think it's a 120 mile car. It has a base range of 85 miles and the manual states that extended range mode "enables ... increased range of up to 17 miles". That's 102 miles, although I'm sure you could probably hit 120 miles with the right conditions.

I have a big issue with them charging extra just to be able to utilize more of the battery you already paid for. I wonder what they'll end up charging for that feature.

One problem is that they have rolled it in with a heated windshield and additional isolation of doors and roof... It certainly should be standard but if they can't see there way clear to do this, it should at least be a standalone (and very inexpensive) option.

gsleaf said:
I have a big issue with them charging extra just to be able to utilize more of the battery you already paid for. I wonder what they'll end up charging for that feature.

It would have been a "close to perfect" EV as far as what technology can offer today if it supported QC. Did a 150 mile freeway trip in my aging Leaf yesterday, 2 QC sessions added 50 minutes. In the MBZ I would have to spend more like 2 hours on L2. Sounds like I'll be stuck with my Leaf for at least one more year...

Valdemar said:
It would have been a "close to perfect" EV as far as what technology can offer today if it supported QC. Did a 150 mile freeway trip in my aging Leaf yesterday, 2 QC sessions added 50 minutes. In the MBZ I would have to spend more like 2 hours on L2. Sounds like I'll be stuck with my Leaf for at least one more year...

Yup. Silly as it sounds, I'd rather have 70 freeway miles and L3 than 120 freeway miles and only L2.

With the quicker 10Kw charger and the greater range pack, I suspect that you would have been able to do the same trip for much LESS than 50 minutes of charging on the MB...
Yes, QC would be nice, and it is supposedly coming next year, but considering how much we have used QC on our Leaf, it is not a deal breaker for me...

Valdemar said:

Even at "only" 6.6, you would likely still be ahead time-wise due to the greater range... QC is nice but range will trump QC every time...

And two years after purchase, you will likely have a higher percentage of capacity left on the MB than on the Leaf, further swaying the equation...

Valdemar said:
TomT said:
With the quicker 10Kw charger
As it was mentioned in this thread, even pulling 7.2 with it at a public location is a matter of luck...

TomT said:
Even at "only" 6.6, you would likely still be ahead time-wise due to the greater range... QC is nice but range will trump QC every time...

And the chances they'll use Chademo or Tesla Supercharging are low. There won't be many quick charging stations available for it even if they do add quick charging.

Back