Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yanquetino said:
For what it's worth, here's my 2nd test drive in a Mitsubishi "i" (MiEV), this one at EVS26.

="Yanquetino"...My turn in this raspberry “i” greatly improved my opinion of the vehicle. In fact, I would venture to say it was the most pleasant test drive I had that day. I still prefer my Leaf because it boasts more amenities and creature comforts, but I now know that the Mitsu “i” would definitely be my second choice. Yes, I wish it had the range of a Coda or a Focus EV, but since my daily driving rarely, if ever, exceeds its 62 mile EPA estimate, it would still serve my needs just fine. And it has some advantages over those other two alternatives, such as a QuickCharge port and the lowest price of any EV on the market...

Thanks for the review.

Whenever asked about current EV offerings, I reply that there are presently really only two to consider, the i and the LEAF.

Never having had the Chance to drive the i, I'm glad you found it as good an EV, as it looks like from afar.

My 50+ mile, and 2,000 ft ascent/ascent (12-14 kWh minimum) trip to town, factored heavily in my decision to buy a LEAF.

But IMO, for those looking for a "second car", "city car", or shorter distance "commuter", the i might well be a better choice.

PS-

="Yanquetino"...I had purposely decided to drive my BMW Z3 to Los Angeles, with the idea that perhaps I could cruise the Pacific Coast Highway with the top down, relishing the sensation of freedom that only a two-seat convertible can give.

The morning dawned misty and a bit chilly, but by the time I reached Carpinteria up the coast the fog had dissipated and the temperature was perfect to drop the top. With the salty breezes wafting through the cabin, I wound my way back down the coast, stopping at various viewpoints to contemplate the ocean vistas, surfers, and beachcombers. It was a delightful drive, but I will admit that the solitude was somewhat melancholy. Funny thing, I found myself wishing that the Z3 were an electric vehicle. It is a great car, made for wandering journeys like that, but after driving my Leaf for more than a month, it seemed... more of a “rattletrap” than I ever realized. Of course, the wind in my hair helped muffle those rattles and pistons....

Since I got my LEAF, every time I ride in or drive an ICEV, I feel like I''m in an antique.

Of course, since my ICEV convertible is an 82 Fiat, my perceptions of driving a “rattletrap”, are somewhat more deserved...

Dang, Mark! You almost make me wish I hadn't been so anxious to get an EV. I put down a reservation fee on an "i" as soon as that opened up in the spring of 2011, while waiting what seemed like forever for my LEAF to arrive (reserved 2010-04-20; ordered 2010-09-01; arrived 2011-05-02). My LEAF is a much fancier car than I really wanted, and with my average of about 20 miles/day I could have been very happy with the "i". I have a sneaking suspicion I may end up with one in two years when my lease runs out.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Dang, Mark! You almost make me wish I hadn't been so anxious to get an EV. I put down a reservation fee on an "i" as soon as that opened up in the spring of 2011, while waiting what seemed like forever for my LEAF to arrive (reserved 2010-04-20; ordered 2010-09-01; arrived 2011-05-02). My LEAF is a much fancier car than I really wanted, and with my average of about 20 miles/day I could have been very happy with the "i". I have a sneaking suspicion I may end up with one in two years when my lease runs out.

Ray

Ray; i for one am glad the Leaf came first because i would have gotten the MiEV as well had it been first. i am now seeing that the additional range of the Leaf is vital in more than a few ways.

it is coming to light that having the Leaf at Full charge is not the best thing especially when it gets warm. granted i dont have that issue but we did have a 11 day heat wave in 2009 where temps were above 90 10 of 11 days with 4 days at 100º so it can happen.

so charging it to 90% and still having enough left to get where you need to be has actually increased its usability for me. now, i could have made the MiEV work since i really only wanted something that would do 50 miles, but it would have been parked just a smidge more and required a touch more planning.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqcqdbrfOzA[/youtube]

Seems like the Mitsubishi i-MiEV (Peugeot iON here) does a much better job of estimating time remaining on a QC than the Leaf.

Jeremy

Consumer Reports is still accumulating miles on their i to break it in (they always put 2,000 miles on a car before testing), so they can test it:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/06/with-the-mitsubishi-i-miev-electric-car-range-anxiety-is-included.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lease the i for 250 a month on a 3 year lease. This car is not as well done as the Leaf but for cheap transportation, this is tempting.

My daughter is driving a 96 Subaru that I really would like to get rid of before it dies. This might be the way to go.

http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-now-leasing-i-electric-249-month-122800.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
Lease the i for 250 a month on a 3 year lease. This car is not as well done as the Leaf but for cheap transportation, this is tempting.

My daughter is driving a 96 Subaru that I really would like to get rid of before it dies. This might be the way to go.

http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-now-leasing-i-electric-249-month-122800.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I had the cash to step up a bit to lease a car that would be fun to drive as well as having greater range, the Fit EV looks like a hell of a deal, even if I do prefer the i's HVAC controls.

That consumer reports article is so silly and in some ways stupid. It complains about the range anxiety and the fact it doesn't drive a lot of miles in a single charge.

You need to review a car within its specification. It is like complaining that a VW Beetle does a poor job of towing an RV, or a F150 gives poor gas mileage. Each car is meant for a specific purpose. In this case an iMiEV is the least expensive EV out there that gives you great savings on Gas for someone who drives less than 50 miles a day, and has a 2nd ICE car for longer drives - and there are a million+ Americans who would fit that profile.

mkjayakumar said:
That consumer reports article is so silly and in some ways stupid. It complains about the range anxiety and the fact it doesn't drive a lot of miles in a single charge.

You need to review a car within its specification. It is like complaining that a VW Beetle does a poor job of towing an RV, or a F150 gives poor gas mileage. Each car is meant for a specific purpose. In this case an iMiEV is the least expensive EV out there that gives you great savings on Gas for someone who drives less than 50 miles a day, and has a 2nd ICE car for longer drives - and there are a million+ Americans who would fit that profile.
The problem is that CR relies on their staffers to drive the car on their commutes to break it in. Unfortunately, most CR staffers commute a greater range than the car can reasonably travel, especially in winter. This is just the fact, and represents a real problem for people who live in suburbs and commute to work. Why wouldn't they mention it?

Even though the general features and idea of the i make it my favorite BEV, its range is just too short for me to use in the S.F. Bay Area if I wanted a local car. 30-50 miles between destinations is not uncommon here, and the same goes for other large, sprawling metropolitan areas. Lacking ubiquitous L2s, it's too far. LA is going to be a very tough test for the i, and I look forward to seeing what R&T thinks of it in that milieu.

The range is just too short on the I. They have bigger pack options in Japan for this car. I am not surprised this car is not selling well. Unless you have anxiety about going too far from home or a 40 mile or less daily commute, then this is a stretch.

I would have bought (actually leased) the i-MiEV if it had been available a year earlier, and I rather expect that two years from now I'll turn in my leased LEAF and go i. I usually charge my LEAF from about 30% or 40% to 80%, and I don't charge every day. Yes, we have a Prius we can use for the occasional long trip.

Ray

mkjayakumar said:
You need to review a car within its specification. It is like complaining that a VW Beetle does a poor job of towing an RV, or a F150 gives poor gas mileage. Each car is meant for a specific purpose.
Ever try to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a BMW? Don't know why anyone would ever buy that POS.

The 'i' sales didn't even make it to the top 4 EV's for sale and dropped even further (from an article in Automobile Magazine):

MITSUBISHI -35%
Mitsubishi's decline accelerated in June, as the Eclipse fades out. Even a doubling of Galant volume couldn't help. Don't look for salvation in the form of the battery-powered "i" car -- its sales dropped from 85 in May to 33 in June.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1207_june_2012_auto_sales/viewall.html#ixzz20QJMTrNI

Their electrified Outlander can't get here fast enough ... wonder how many days supply they have on the 'i', but with only 33 sold doesn't look like they have many takers

EVDrive said:
The range is just too short on the I. They have bigger pack options in Japan for this car. I am not surprised this car is not selling well. Unless you have anxiety about going too far from home or a 40 mile or less daily commute, then this is a stretch.

The other option in Japan is for LESS range (and lower cost).. lots of people drive less than 40 miles a day, they would do well with a Leaf or iMiev.

In line with CR's comments and observations, I would not have. Its range is simply too short for my needs and it is too utilitarian. Unlike some, I will not buy an EV simply because it is an EV...

EVDrive said:
I would have bought the I-miev if there were no other options.

redLEAF said:
wonder how many days supply they have on the 'i', but with only 33 sold doesn't look like they have many takers
FWIW, cars.com reports 600 i-MiEVs on dealer lots across the USA. Compare that to the 2037 LEAFs 130 Focus EVs, 4441 Volts. Even if Mitsubishi sells 100/month, that's a 6 month supply. The Volt has a much better turnover rate (2.5 month supply) in comparison - now better than the LEAF right now (4 month supply) which has been steadily building inventory in spite of flat sales.

TomT said:
Its range is simply too short for my needs and it is too utilitarian.
Depends on how good the GS Yuasa (Lithium Energy Japan) batteries are. The only durability data I found on it:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/05/the-battery-pac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitsubishi tested the cycle life of the pack under standard (50 A) and quick charge (120 A) conditions using the JC08 driving pattern and found that the pack retained 84% of capacity with quick charging and 83% with standard charging after 1,000 cycles.

Too bad they didn't use the Toshiba SCiB batteries - those are supposedly as tough as nails.

Back