Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
The iMiev was a joke. Totally sending the wrong signal for public perception of EVs. Good riddance.

I tend to agree with the signal sent to the entrenched oil burner crowd. They look at this car and their view is only reinforced that EVs are golf carts that will be forced on them by the terrorist Obama.

On the flip side, a guy asked me three times yesterday if the Rav4 took gasoline. I gave him a ride in "sport" mode to prove it's a real car. I think I sold yet another EV.

:mrgreen:

So maybe a larger and longer range BEV from Mitsu is on the way after all...

Mitsubishi To Debut Two New Plug-In Concepts: Sport Utility Truck And A Longer Range MiEV

Early next month at the Geneva Motor Show, Mitsubishi has announced it will be debuting two brand new concepts indicating where the company thinks the future of the plug-in electric car is going. Naturally, teaser shots of the vehicles are part of the equation.

Concept GR-HEV

Adding to the Outlander PHEV, which is already on sale in Japan (and coming to the US in January of 2014), Mitsubishi says that the GR-HEV, a sport utility hybrid truck would be an ideal lineup running-mate.

The GR-HEV is actually a 4WD, diesel-hybrid system in a pickup truck. Mitsubishi claims that the SUT’s “high fuel-efficiency clean diesel engine with a high-output motor and battery system achieves on-road CO2 emission levels of below 149 g/km to give it environmental performance among the best in its class.”

The Concept Mitsubishi CA-MiEV Promises A Lot More Range In A Bigger Package

Concept CA-MiEV – The Suburban EV

Mitsubishi says that thanks to over 3 years of customer feedback on the i-MiEV, as well as some serious advancements in electric vehicle technology, the company now feels you can take the EV outside the city, with what it sees as possibility the “next generation of compact EVs.”

“As a showcase of the various technologies, MMC intends to introduce across its range of global vehicles, this sleek Concept CA-MiEV vehicle which can accommodate next generation EV systems and high density batteries. Lightweight with advanced aerodynamics, the CA-MiEV will offer a 300 km (186 miles) driving range, perfectly suited for suburban and country daily life.”

Once again, we would suggest readers outside Japan take the 300km/186 miles estimated range with a grain of salt, as the Japanese JC08 standard is at play here again. Still, 300 km on this standard does translate to about 110 miles on the more reasonable US/EPA system, which is much better than the 62 miles currently found in today’s i-MiEV.

It should also be noted that this concept CA-MiEV is more of a global platform, and is (thankfully) one size class larger than the current generation. We hope both these vehicles get the green light in some form or another in the future...

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-to-debut-two-new-plug-ins-concepts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was driving past the Mitsubishi dealer last week and saw a bunch of I-MIEV's on his lot with "99" on the windshield. Pulled in and found that they were offering a $99 a month, 24 month lease with $2000 down. This was for the ES model, not the base model. So, I looked through what he had as the options varied. Checked out a pearl white ES with cold weather package (heated mirrors, battery warmer), USB jack and a couple of other items. Drove it for a couple of miles and then leased it. Heck for $99 a month the fuel cost savings will more then pay for the lease! Actually, I gave it to a friends wife who needed a car for taking the kids to school. The only issue is the supplied EVSE is only a 8 amp max unit that takes 22 hours to recharge the 16 KW pack. I sent the LEAF EVSE to evseupgrade to do the 12 amp 120volt / 16 amp 240 volt modification which will allow for 6 hour recharges on the I-MIEV. The I-MIEV EVSE, although it looks identical to the LEAF EVSE has smaller wires and a shorter cable (16 awg vs 12 awg for the LEAF) which prevents anything higher then 13 amps on 240 volts. I will put the I-MIEV EVSE in the LEAF for dire emergencies. The dealer said they are going to continue to sell the I-MIEV in 2013 but it will still be a 2012 model--sounds like the end of the line to me. Actually, not a bad city car but with the lower priced entery level LEAF, it doesn't have a chance.

ABG: Mitsubishi halts production of i-MiEV, Outlander PHEV after two plug-in car fires:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/29/mitsubishi-halts-production-of-i-miev-outlander-phev-after-two/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have a LEAF/i-MieV combination, with their evse upgraded by Phil? If so, does the Nissan upgraded evse work okay with the i-Miev?

I'm a LEAF owner with the upgraded evse that I use regularly. A local fleet dealer is offering the i-Miev with an $11,000 discount. So, after rebates and tax credits, the Mitsu's are under $10,000. I'm interested. I know some of the previous comments make the i-Miev seem almost pathetic, but at that price it would make a great short commute car for my son.

The evseupgrade.com website shows that Phil will upgrade the Mitsu evse, but I'm thinking I could just use my Nissan upgraded evse for both cars.

Anyone do this?

cwerdna said:
Randy3 said:
great short commute car for my son.
Heh. If there are no CHAdeMO stations near you, he can't go that far away in that car either. :)

Maybe that's part of the point...

cwerdna, I've always appreciated your addition to the forum. Thanks again.

Still looking for an answer, though...

Randy3 said:
Does anyone have a LEAF/i-MieV combination, with their evse upgraded by Phil? If so, does the Nissan upgraded evse work okay with the i-Miev?

EVSEUpgrade's newly remodeled website, which is now broken up by car (Leaf, iMiEV, Volt, etc.) lists both an upgraded version of the original Mitsubishi EVSE and an upgraded "manufactured by Panasonic for Nissan" EVSE as usable for the iMiEV. So I would say the answer is yes. Note: I do not own an iMiEV.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=nr9st892bjb1ikqac3r3vmomk2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, any model of the Nissan version will charge the i-MiEV fine.

It might be worth getting the Mitsu unit upgraded too though, that way you can charge both at the same time.

-Phil

So, anyone else thinking about getting an iMiEV with the incredible discounts that are being offered on them?

drees said:
So, anyone else thinking about getting an iMiEV with the incredible discounts that are being offered on them?

I tried. Thought about going 2EV 1 ICE rather than the other way round. Stealership in Marion IL quoted 32.5K even after I told him I knew about the dealer cash and the price of the (far superior yet cheaper) Leaf S. No wonder the dumbos still have two on the lot.

Hilarious but is semi-NSFW...

Rapping grandmas love the Mitsubishi i EV:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/13/rapping-grandmas-love-the-mitsubishi-i-ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18k here in Maryland

http://www.ourismanmitsubishi.com/new/mitsubishi-i~miev-es-2012-5M017723.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am still happy with my decision to lease a I-Miev for $99 per month, 24 months, 0 down. It is a decent addition to my LEAF and has similar range. It is a totally different car that lacks a lot of the things the LEAF has but does offer some benefits. One of the biggest differences is the rear cargo area. The I-Miev has a flat load floor and with the seats folded down it will hold way more "stuff" then you could ever get in the LEAF. It's much easier to get in and out of then the LEAF as it sits taller. The blind spots near the "A" pillars are much smaller then on the LEAF. It also has a very short turning radius which in an urban enviornment allows you to really get in and out in tight spaces with ease. IMO at better sounding stereo system. The controls are simple and easy to use--no fancy touchscreens--a very basic car. I had the LEAF EVSE upgraded by Phil and use it for charging the I-Miev as its supplied EVSE is pathetic. At least it comes with a battery fan and on the quick charge equipped models, a basic TMS.

We test drove one at Capitol Mitsubishi, San Jose. The car drove OK, but the interior is spartan, dash display sub-basic (think 80's LCD displays), spongy seats, and a 2nd wiper that stands upright all the time. Couldn't get excited about it at all. They were giving us $8k off MSRP on a demo model for a net cost of $12k! We declined, but it may be worthwhile for someone out there.

Arvind said:
drees said:
Arvind said:
They were giving us $8k off MSRP on a demo model for a net cost of $12k!
By net price do you mean after tax credit?

Yes! On the demo model with ~300 miles on it.

Such deep discounting is the only way Mitsubishi is going to sell that car, especially now that the Leaf S is slightly cheaper than a base iMiEV, and the upcoming Spark EV even cheaper than the Leaf. For that matter, the iMiEV didn't sell well here when the base Leaf was considerably more expensive.

Back