Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arvind said:
drees said:
Arvind said:
They were giving us $8k off MSRP on a demo model for a net cost of $12k!
By net price do you mean after tax credit?
Yes! On the demo model with ~300 miles on it.
Cool - my parents just got one last week from the same dealer, same price - $22k out the door, so $12.5k after tax credit/state rebate assuming the CA rebate is still worth $2k after it is funded again in July. I don't think this was a demo model though, but didn't ask them how many miles it had on it...

20130522194124.jpg
20130522194140.jpg

Arvind said:
There you go. Such a good deal! Pls continue to share their experience.
No real surprises:

Power up to 65 mph at least is sufficient.
Ride is a little rough.
Lots of usable space in the interior with the rear seats folded down.
L1 charge cable only charges at 8A stock. Need to send it off to EVSEupgrade to get 120V/12A capability along with 240V capability.
For $12.5k it's a great city-runabout.

If you live in Maryland, this is another great deal:

http://insideevs.com/ev-deal-of-the-day-new-mitsubishi-i-miev-18655/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I charged my i-MiEV yesterday at a Blink DC Fast Charger from 40% to 80%.
The air conditioner ran to cool the battery starting at 40%, but stopped running at 68.5%.
The battery pack temperature went from 28.6 degrees C (83.4F) to 31.6 degrees C (88.9F). The outside temperature was 75F.

Battery temperature at 40%. (Using CaniOn to graph the 66 temperature sensors in the battery pack)
Qpwxqvo.png

Battery temperature at 79% (Blink Charger said 80%)
cpR9DWI.png

Amps History showing the DC Fast Charge.
wMkNfdz.png

The total charge time was 13 minutes.
The total gain in range according to the range remaining meter was 38 miles.
The i-MiEV charged at over 40kW for the first couple minutes, after which the charger ramped down.

Since i-MiEV have been around for more than 2 years now, do we know what battery degradation to they usually see? Do they follow the same "Battery Aging Model" that Stoaty has?

camasleaf said:
Since i-MiEV have been around for more than 2 years now, do we know what battery degradation to they usually see? Do they follow the same "Battery Aging Model" that Stoaty has?
I went to a presentation at a dealership where they hosted our local EV club meeting and they said when the battery capacity goes down you can bring it and and they open it up some more.

drees said:
2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV Reduced By $6,130, Now From $22,995 Which Includes Fast Charging

If you missed out earlier when Mitsubishi was blowing out the i-MiEV, looks like you'll have a 2nd chance late next spring. I wonder if there will be any other improvements? If this was available in a more conventional package, I suspect they'd move a lot more of them.

Per this article from PlugInCars.com:

http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-set-drop-electric-i-miev-price-thousands-129017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Previous add ons are now standard, like QC. New winter package also standard, heated passenger seat, heated outside mirrors, and battery warmer.

Apparently they have added a number of new features and made some of the other optional ones standard... Along with standard QC and the lower price, it might now do much better...
(I don't quite get the comment about the new "battery heating" as I thought it had air cooled TMS before... Perhaps the previous TMS was just cooling and not also heating...)

drees said:
2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV Reduced By $6,130, Now From $22,995 Which Includes Fast Charging.

scottf200 said:
camasleaf said:
I went to a presentation at a dealership where they hosted our local EV club meeting and they said when the battery capacity goes down you can bring it and and they open it up some more.

How do they "open it up some more"?

TomT said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
How do they "open it up some more"?
Sounds like typical dealer-speak to me...
Could well be, but it's not impossible. The Indian built REVA G-Wiz BEV city cars, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REVAi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that infested London last decade had an emergency reserve. If you ran out and needed it to get to your destination, you called the company and they'd send a command to the car that would allow you to access more of the battery. I imagine they charged you extra if you did so, but it's always struck me as a good idea. So, it's entirely possible to sequester some of the battery capacity initially and make more of it accessible later.

As for the other news, if the MiEV's range is acceptable for you this is a killer deal, and it'll pretty much force Smart to drop their prices too. 2 extra seats for $2k less, in exchange for six miles less range? How many people need just that extra six miles and no more, instead of opting for a Spark EV? The Smart has some nice features like paddle-controlled regen, but the CHAdeMO is worth far more in some urban areas, and the MiEV has a 'Low' mode.

Some interesting threads over in the iMiEV forum on winter range and cold weather mods:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do remind me of many 2011 posts here.

drees said:
Yeah, very aggressive pricing on their part. I do think they'll move more, but it's hard to say how many more. The styling is probably its biggest turnoff (at least for me). The acceleration and interior don't help. It is really too bad. It's still the slowest acceleration vehicle (in the 0 to 60 mph test) at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/best-worst-acceleration/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

IMHO, if the car didn't look so weird, it'd sell better in the US. If they fixed the styling, improved its acceleration a bit, gave it the same EPA range as the Leaf and made the interior not as spartan, they'd be able to move a LOT more.

Not surprisingly, given its very puny sales figures, I rarely see them in my part of CA.

cwerdna said:
IMHO, if the car didn't look so weird, it'd sell better in the US. If they fixed the styling, improved its acceleration a bit, gave it the same EPA range as the Leaf and made the interior not as spartan, they'd be able to move a LOT more.
I agree it looks weird, but I was tempted by it, and shied away because it looked last spring like they were dropping it altogether. The truth is, I wanted spartan. But maybe that just makes me weird. :roll:

Ray

planet4ever said:
cwerdna said:
I agree it looks weird, but I was tempted by it, and shied away because it looked last spring like they were dropping it altogether. The truth is, I wanted spartan. But maybe that just makes me weird. :roll:

Ray
You and me both, Ray :D But the range is a deal killer for me, and it really could use better accel at freeway speeds. As to its looks, well, if the meek ever do inherit the earth, they'll probably be driving iMiEVs! :lol: When I see one, words like 'modest' and 'unpretentious' come to mind, but those terms just evoke for me positive responses, as an image of the Bug immediately pops into my head. I don't know whether the modern U.S. public is ready to embrace such a car again, but I have hopes for Gen Y and car sharing.

GRA said:
When I see one words like 'modest' and 'unpretentious' come to mind, but those terms just evoke for me positive responses, as an image of the Bug immediately pops into my head. I don't know whether the modern U.S. public is ready to embrace such a car again, but I have hopes for Gen Y and car sharing.

It definitely is hard to overstate the departure from the norm that the early beetles represented to the 1950's and early 1960's American Car-Culture. The iMiev is a cornucopia of conveniences and comforts in comparison.

Dropped 5 more bucks ... now $6,135 lower ...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131204/carnews/131209918#ixzz2miSL7Plv

These are as rare as a Th!nk around Chicago; purple seems a popular color if I do see one.

I've seen and sat in the current one at a car show and an EV event; quite cheap materials inside that look like they would wear out quickly and just funky styling but for this cheap and as long as the range wasn't an issue might be OK as a short-run commuter.

Back