Official Mitsubishi i-MiEV Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeremyW said:
I was able to test drive the i-MiEV last week.

First off, I was surprised to even find out that I actually fit in the drivers seat! I'm 6'4" so that is saying something about it. The cabin (wind) noise seemed as loud as a gas car, much louder than a leaf. Overall it feels and looks econo-box but with a much higher sticker price. :) I agree with others that for not much more money you get a lot more car going with a Nissan Leaf. However, if Mitsu lowers the price just a bit more, I think it could pick up a lot more younger folks that can't justify the leaf's price, but love ev's.

I also caught a i-MiEV fast charging at Mitsubishi's headquarters; the fans run during the charging to cool the pack. Rapid charge time was about 15 min from near empty to 80%.

Jeremy
I test drove one last week also. I'm 6'0" but have long legs, and I was reasonably comfortable in the driver's seat with the seat all the way back; the passenger seat was tighter for some reason. In the back seat behind the driver my knees were hitting, so I wouldn't want to be back there for any length of time, but given the car's limited range it would have been acceptable. I did like the fact that with the back seats folded down you have an absolutely flat load floor, and I'm a big fan of simple three-knob HVACs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/sns-2012-mitsubishi-i-estimates-range-better-than-20120507,0,3280639.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012 Mitsubishi i Estimates Range Better Than Nissan Leaf
Joe Wiesenfelder - Cars.com - 6:50 p.m. CDT, May 7, 2012

We've reported extensively on our 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car's main weakness: predicting its own range. So when we received for evaluation a 2012 Mitsubishi i, we wondered how it would compare.

The i, also known as the i-MiEV, is the new most affordable electric vehicle in the U.S., priced at $29,125 before incentives. We expected it to stumble, as the Leaf does, over the many variables an EV faces in trying to predict its range. We were wrong.
<snip>

scottf200 said:
2012 Mitsubishi i Estimates Range Better Than Nissan Leaf

Nissan is either incompetent at estimating range or they use the GOM to manipulate your driving behavior.. take your pick what the answer is.

Herm,
In defense of the GOM, there really isn't a way to predict how you'll drive. I may be driving conservatively one day, then the next want to "show off" the car to someone during lunch hour.

coqui said:
Herm,
In defense of the GOM, there really isn't a way to predict how you'll drive. I may be driving conservatively one day, then the next want to "show off" the car to someone during lunch hour.

That's not a defense -- that is arguing for not bothering to predict at all. If they cannot do a good estiamte, they should not present one.

Its reasonable to estimate based on what you have been doing in the past. The driver can know if they are behaving differently, but its hard for them to compute actual range based on a complex formula. It takes multiple measurements combined over different time scales to get a good estimate, but still very useful even if its based on the past week where I was normal.

Another recent (posted yesterday) review ...

http://www.cars.com/mitsubishi/i-miev/2012/expert-reviews/?revid=58469

I like this at the end ... do we all think this is true? No one quotes the demographics of the typical 'i' buyer yet because it's too new (to the U.S. anyway) but those 'averages' for both the Volt and LEAF seem to be higher income levels ... who does the 'i' target?

I haven't test drove one but have seen/sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show as well as saw a 'purple' one at the recent Green Car Show I was at this past weekend, at a sticker close to $36K (an SE with extras) it just didn't seem worth it but the market will let us know how well it gets received ...

'Mitsubishi i in the Market

The Mitsubishi i might cost less than the Nissan Leaf, but it's also a lesser car. In addition to the Nissan Leaf's longer range rating and greater interior quality, the base version includes cruise control, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front and rear seats, heated side mirrors, steering-wheel audio controls, keyless access, alloy wheels, a navigation system with elaborate EV features and connectivity with an owner's web portal and smartphone.

Had the Mitsubishi i come out a couple of years ago, it probably would have done pretty well, but I can't imagine many shoppers will pick it over the Leaf. An extra $6,075 seems like a lot, but once you account for the missing features, the i's advantage narrows. According to the demographics,
buyers of this new class of plug-in cars aren't exactly hurting for money.'

No question on the cheaper looking interior materials, wonder if the darker color will hold up better over time?

int.jpg

... Had the Mitsubishi i come out a couple of years ago, it probably would have done pretty well, but I can't imagine many shoppers will pick it over the Leaf. An extra $6,075 seems like a lot, but once you account for the missing features, the i's advantage narrows. According to the demographics, [/i]buyers of this new class of plug-in cars aren't exactly hurting for money.' ...
While statement may be true, it's also true that there are those who won't value the added features of the LEAF, and will therefore be unwilling to pay for them. My experience is that just because people are wealthy doesn't mean they aren't frugal...just look at the heated discussions of the price of public charging, and the price of EVSEs on here.

davewill said:
While statement may be true, it's also true that there are those who won't value the added features of the LEAF, and will therefore be unwilling to pay for them. My experience is that just because people are wealthy doesn't mean they aren't frugal...just look at the heated discussions of the price of public charging, and the price of EVSEs on here.
Good observation. And, perhaps that 'wealth' was accummulated in part by being 'frugal' and/or 'not unwise' with their spending. After all, we're talking about a big portion of that demographic being engineer- and technical-types.

All in all, I thought the review was very accurate, although I believe the 120V charger only puts out 8 amps so the 22 hours is probably correct. It certainly matched up with my impressions of the interior accommodations. My 'test' drive test hardly counted as one, and I wasn't allowed to take it on the freeway so can't comment on that. I, for one, appreciate a simple, manual HVAC that I can work by feel. For a city car, I didn't think the quality of the interior appointments was an issue at all, and if I wanted a car for that purpose I'd probably opt for the i over the Leaf. But the range is a problem, although the lack of a cruise control is less of an issue for it than it would be in a Leaf, Coda or Focus. Unlike those, I can't see taking the i out on the weekend very far for a tour.

My biggest gripe about the i is that is just doesn't feel very high tech. While the speedometer is digital (i hate analog speedometers) it is very small and uses the type of display technology you'd expect in a digital watch. All of the other controls in the car are very low-tech.

For me, the most important feature of the Leaf in general is that it is a high tech machine that makes me feel like I own a piece of 21st century technology. The i feels like 1980's technology.

I test drove one here in Houston a couple of weeks ago. Truthfully I have never really been a fan of Mitsubishi, but I figured I would give it a shot since I like the looks and I am in the market for a second EV with L3 port (our Leaf is an SV). Frankly, I think they are doing little more than trying to milk government incentives. The Miev simply cannot hold a candle to the Leaf and Mitsubishi should be embarrassed to ask $35K for the thing. I have decided to get another 2011 Leaf instead.

adric22 said:
My biggest gripe about the i is that is just doesn't feel very high tech. While the speedometer is digital (i hate analog speedometers) it is very small and uses the type of display technology you'd expect in a digital watch. All of the other controls in the car are very low-tech.

For me, the most important feature of the Leaf in general is that it is a high tech machine that makes me feel like I own a piece of 21st century technology. The i feels like 1980's technology.
That's its (and the Coda's) advantage for me, compared to the Leaf/Volt et al. I don't mind high-tech when it actually provides me with some benefit, but too many electronic gadgets have been included in cars for the Gee-whiz! factor rather than being more usable or safer - driver-operated touch screens being exhibit A. Nor have I ever been a fan of digital speedometers - you just don't need to know your speed that accurately, and as numerous human factors perceptual studies have shown, judging the relative position of a pointer on a dial or scale requires far less mental interpretation than reading a digital number (to be sure, modern digital speedos have improved considerably).

I'm something of a technology skeptic: I didn't buy a cell phone until late 2007, and that's what it is, a phone (pre-paid, and left switched off 99% of the time). No doubt that's largely due to the fact that I've never wanted anyone to think they could reach me anywhere at anytime, at their convenience. I also keep computers until they die, and they're usually a level or two below the state of the art when I buy them. As long as they do the job I bought them for, I have no need for any extra capability, and the effort that I'd have to put in to upgrading is greater than the payback, why bother?

As a kid/teen, living without a phone in the house for eight years (or a working refrigerator or car for most of that time) no doubt also affected my perceptions of what is essential versus what's nice to have. So it will be interesting to see if the EV market will split into two this early, with the pragmatists/minimalists like myself concerned mainly with basic functions at the lowest cost (i.e. cars like the i and Coda), versus the digerati who want all the electronic bells and whistles and are willing to pay for them (Leaf/FFE/Tesla/Volt). The more choices we have, the happier we'll all be.

I took the MiEV and the Leaf for (2) test drives each. The second test drive I drove the MiEV for 20 minutes, about 30 minutes later I took the Leaf on a 20 minute test drive.
The local Mitsubishi dealer was willing to sell the MiEV $1,500 below MSRP. (28K verses 29,500)

CON's
I noticed right away that the shift lever was for a Right Hand steer, the lettering is on the wrong side, the gates are backwards.
The steering column is non-adjustable. Great if I were a 5'3" guy, not 5' 11" with really long arms and legs.
Instrument cluster looked cheap cheap cheap.
Radio in dash, OMG a custom trim bezel? Get real.
No standard NAV.
Cheap trim.
Cheap sheet metal body.
Cheap seats.

PRO's
Battery - cheaper to replace at End of Life (I would typically go 40miles)
Super regenerative braking - I never had to touch the brakes.
Small and nimble.
I liked the styling.

I set up a matrix of features that I valued and attributed a weighting to it. Then rated the two cars. The Nissan Leaf, dollar for dollar gives you more value. If the Leaf were an MiEV it would come in at 22K. I told that to the Mitsubishi dealer, he's selling at less than Leaf price, but for what you get he's way over what it really is worth.

mrradon said:
I took the MiEV and the Leaf for (2) test drives each. The second test drive I drove the MiEV for 20 minutes, about 30 minutes later I took the Leaf on a 20 minute test drive.
The local Mitsubishi dealer was willing to sell the MiEV $1,500 below MSRP. (28K verses 29,500)

CON's
I noticed right away that the shift lever was for a Right Hand steer, the lettering is on the wrong side, the gates are backwards.
Yeah, I spotted that too.
mrradon said:
The steering column is non-adjustable. Great if I were a 5'3" guy, not 5' 11" with really long arms and legs.
Instrument cluster looked cheap cheap cheap.
Radio in dash, OMG a custom trim bezel? Get real.
No standard NAV.
For a car with a maximum EPA range of 62 miles, who cares?

I guess I should have added. If you do add the NAV to the MiEV it raises the cost up to nearly the same level as the Leaf! I agree a NAV in an E-car is dumb, I know the area where I live, however, knowing where charging stations are is nice.

GRA said:
That's its (and the Coda's) advantage for me, compared to the Leaf/Volt et al. I don't mind high-tech when it actually provides me with some benefit, but too many electronic gadgets have been included in cars for the Gee-whiz! factor rather than being more usable or safer
I'll second that. If the i-MiEV had been available 9 months earlier I would have gotten it instead of a LEAF. I got rid of my car (a bare bones Civic) in Nov 2010, expecting to have a LEAF by Christmas. Hah! As 2011, and March, and April, and May rolled around I was getting desperate, and did indeed put down a deposit on the i-MiEV. I finally grabbed my LEAF in May, despite it not being the SV I had ordered. I leased, and expect I will probably downgrade when the lease is up.

Ray

planet4ever said:
GRA said:
That's its (and the Coda's) advantage for me, compared to the Leaf/Volt et al. I don't mind high-tech when it actually provides me with some benefit, but too many electronic gadgets have been included in cars for the Gee-whiz! factor rather than being more usable or safer
I'll second that. If the i-MiEV had been available 9 months earlier I would have gotten it instead of a LEAF. I got rid of my car (a bare bones Civic) in Nov 2010, expecting to have a LEAF by Christmas. Hah! As 2011, and March, and April, and May rolled around I was getting desperate, and did indeed put down a deposit on the i-MiEV. I finally grabbed my LEAF in May, despite it not being the SV I had ordered. I leased, and expect I will probably downgrade when the lease is up.

Ray

2nd that. said it a million times but will say it again. all i wanted was a EV that could get on the freeway and do 50 miles. the MiEV i would have bought as well had it been first. in retrospect, i am very glad it was not but i know me well enough that i would not have waited if the Leaf/MiEV launch dates were reversed.

now, the MiEV would have struggled to make the longer commute so it would probably only be an option in summer, but the Leaf despite its ability to more than make the commute in winter, rarely does because SO is still not comfortable with it despite several dozen successful trips

Well, my gripe wasn't so much with the sparse interior as it was what Mitsubishi is charging for it. And it also isn't so much about the navigation as it is the interface that comes with the navigation including battery monitoring. Yes, the Miev will do highway speeds, but don't plan on using cruise control because there isn't one available. :shock:

At $35K reasonably equipped, it just doesn't even come close to what you get with the Leaf.

DaveinOlyWA said:
planet4ever said:
GRA said:

Ray

2nd that. said it a million times but will say it again. all i wanted was a EV that could get on the freeway and do 50 miles. the MiEV i would have bought as well had it been first. in retrospect, i am very glad it was not but i know me well enough that i would not have waited if the Leaf/MiEV launch dates were reversed.

now, the MiEV would have struggled to make the longer commute so it would probably only be an option in summer, but the Leaf despite its ability to more than make the commute in winter, rarely does because SO is still not comfortable with it despite several dozen successful trips
Don't we all wish that the Coda was actually built by Mitsubishi, instead of just based on one?

I'm virtually certain the divide is generational; I was looking at some VW Bug ads from the '60s last night, and it occurred to me that their tongue-in-cheek rejection of the excesses of Detroit in favor of Thoreau-like simplification conditioned many of us Boomers (even if we were the ones buying all those SUVs later). I suspect cars like the i and Coda resonate with us for the same reason. Edit: Pondering it a bit further, I think the i gives off a very strong Bug or even Deux Chevaux aura, i.e. friendly but homely, combined with a fair amount of the original Mini's cuteness and its more practical two-box shape. The Coda is a '70s Corolla/Datsun 510 analog: it's unlikely that owners will develop the same sentimental attachment compared to Bugs/'i's, but they're a bit more refined and better performing.

Now we just need to figure out how to reduce their purchase price by a half or two-thirds.

The ultimate 'Form follows Function' ad:

http://www.greatvwads.com/pix/ad24.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some more

http://designbeep.com/2011/12/21/rememb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... the-1960s/

Back