Official Southern California Edison thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are buying a new home and it is literally a mile a way from our existing home. It turns out that instead of LADWP we will have Southern California Edison.

I'm pretty bummed about this! Not only do they not have an EVSE installation rebate, they also charge way more for power. I will definitely have to move up the solar power project... but now I need to save.

Sorry, I had no where else to complain so I thought I could get some sympathy from my electric car brethren. :) Thanks!

thait84 said:
We are buying a new home and it is literally a mile a way from our existing home. It turns out that instead of LADWP we will have Southern California Edison.

I'm pretty bummed about this! Not only do they not have an EVSE installation rebate, they also charge way more for power. I will definitely have to move up the solar power project... but now I need to save.

Sorry, I had no where else to complain so I thought I could get some sympathy from my electric car brethren. :) Thanks!
I highly recommend SCE's TOU-TEV rate - saved me about $50/month even with the Leaf charging. Just can't use A/C 12-6 weekdays :)

thait84 said:

Bummer. Either go solar or look into a separate meter for the EVSE. SCE's single meter Time of Use plan is fabulous if you have solar, less great if you don't have solar, and punitive if you don't have solar and you use a lot of daytime power for A/C or other large power draws. Their dual meter TOU plan is much better for EV charging, but you'll need a separate meter panel and a second feed for the second meter. SCE doesn't charge for the second meter, and that's about the only freebie you'll get from them.

thait84 said:
... I will definitely have to move up the solar power project...
With the lease options available these days, you can get your solar array and pay the lease payment with the savings off your electric bill. No up-front cash needed.

voltiar said:
Okay, I just got an Efergy Engage energy monitoring system which is very similar to the TED. I put the two CT clamps around each black and red wire going through the disconnect box and then connected to the Engage hub. The readings are coming in high though. In fact, I am getting a reading of 79 watts/120volts at NIGHT. If I change to 360 volts I get 237 watts. On my SMA transformer, the display shows 360 volts but not sure what to set the Efergy to, household 120v or the 360v.

Maybe there is always current going through the feed wires? I think I read that transformers are backfed some current or they won't turn on as a safety precaution to line workers (in a blackout, the panels won't feed the grid).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
The SMA literature on our inverter says that it draws 4 watts at night. Our TED shows this as -4W (production) only because that circuit is defined in the TED setup software as a generation source and for simplicity's sake it assumes all activity is production. 79W sounds unusually high.

Can't help with the 120V/360V issue without further information. Are you perhaps quoting a displayed 360V DC input voltage from the PV array? TED offers only 120V/240V display options in the setup, but individual line voltages are only 120V AC, although 180 degrees out-of-phase between the legs.

Thanks everyone. I figured out a few things. The system is 120 volt (120 for each leg) and the 360 volt showing on my SMA transformer is for DC in from the panels. Each leg is also showing 39 watts at night, which is 10 times more than it should be. It's either my energy monitor not being accurate enough or something wrong with my system. My installer said he would come out and check. I'd like to just run my multimeter on the two wires on the kill switch and see what it shows but I don't want to short anything out (or electrocute myself).

Otherwise everything is working great. It's wonderful to check my iphone or computer and see that my panels are pumping 3000 watts into my home/grid on an partially sunny day.

^^^^
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. You might consider checking the SMA daily production total against the same total from the new monitor for a while before deciding to change anything.

Boomer23 said:
thait84 said:

Bummer. Either go solar or look into a separate meter for the EVSE. .......snip.....
3 electric contractors gave bids to us for a separate meter socket install (no, edison won't do it for you or subsidize the cost). The average of the 3 bids? $1,200. I won't live long enough to amortize that big a hit, unles I live to age 115. :lol:

voltiar said:
Thanks everyone. I figured out a few things. The system is 120 volt (120 for each leg) and the 360 volt showing on my SMA transformer is for DC in from the panels. Each leg is also showing 39 watts at night, which is 10 times more than it should be. It's either my energy monitor not being accurate enough or something wrong with my system.
Your inverter is fine, your measuring tool is broken and does not account for power factor properly. This is a very common complaint with PV systems when people clamp on basic current measuring tools onto their systems and see what looks like a huge vampire load on their inverter when the load is highly reactive and very little power is actually flowing. This happens because there are decent sized caps on the AC power lines of the inverter.

So you think it's the Efergy Engage monitor? It seems like the TED works fine for one member here. Maybe I will return the Efergy and try the TED. Only thing I don't like about the TED is it has to be installed on the main panel and you have to hard wire onto your circuits (right now the sensors are just around the two wires in the kill switch).

davewill said:
thait84 said:
... I will definitely have to move up the solar power project...
With the lease options available these days, you can get your solar array and pay the lease payment with the savings off your electric bill. No up-front cash needed.

I keep getting all this conflicting advice. Some people say the 0 down lease plans have the escalating clauses and it isn't a very good deal and there is some risk since you are tied in for 20 years. Then other people say to get a 20 year lease and prepay the entire amount. Then other people say all leasing is a scam and it is much better to purchase your own system.

I need to just price out everything and decide.

The payback for buying solar is 6-8 years at $.12 kWh. After that all the electricity is yours free. At todays rates you should be able to get an installed system for around $3.00 a label watt before rebates/tax credits.

The guy I used is in Temecula, don't think he goes to LA. I would look in the penny saver, call and see if they have solar experience, then check them out with the contractors license board.

I would like to hear more about how solar and TOU-TEV (whole house) actually affects the actual SCE bill.

Can someone that has this post the Tier charges summary part of a bill or send me a copy to review?
Edit off any personal info of course.

Looking at ~3kW panel rating, ~5kWh production vs 12kWh usage.

smkettner said:
I would like to hear more about how solar and TOU-TEV (whole house) actually affects the actual SCE bill.

Can someone that has this post the Tier charges summary part of a bill or send me a copy to review?
Edit off any personal info of course.

Looking at ~4kW panel rating, ~5kWh production vs 12kWh usage.

I'll get something to you. Look for a PM tonight or tomorrow.

As an example, I just received my 2012/13 net metering year final bill. My year ended with a credit balance of -$19 even though we used a net 2,300 kWh more than our solar generated. The credit balance means that we owe nothing for our year's power usage, including charging the LEAF for more than 10,000 miles and a total power use of more than 10,000 kwh.

smkettner said:
Thanks again as it was a big help to get my arms around the allocation of the TOU credits.
We will now move forward with the 3kW system.

Very much my pleasure. I'm glad to help you move forward with your project. It took me months to understand SCE's rate schedules, so I'm happy to leverage that effort to give others a head start.

Any SCE solar experts here? I am wondering how to maximize my savings with solar and SCE. I've had panels for about 3 months and am getting near a zero balance for this month. Next month I should start racking up credits, which is sooner than I thought. My question is, does it make sense to force myself into the Tier 2 rate (TOU-D-TEV) this summer by using up more electricity? The way I see it, the faster I am in Tier 2, the better the ratio of daytime credits to super off peak and off peak. So I'll be getting 3.5 times the credits at .60/.17 (Tier 2), rather than 1.75 times at .19/.11 (Tier 1). I'd like to be a little more generous with the A/C this summer too; although I realize that will tap into my credits most unless I run on the weekends. So far very happy with my 6000 watt solar system.

Also, is this bound to end? I'd imagine SCE will eventually close this loophole but am wondering if they'd be forced by law to grandfather us in. A lot of people factored in the cost of a system based on the ratios SCE set up and the net meetering system. And what of all the leasing companies who sell energy at a fixed rate? I'd imagine they'd go belly up if the model changed.

voltiar said:
Any SCE solar experts here? I am wondering how to maximize my savings with solar and SCE. I've had panels for about 3 months and am getting near a zero balance for this month. Next month I should start racking up credits, which is sooner than I thought. My question is, does it make sense to force myself into the Tier 2 rate (TOU-D-TEV) this summer by using up more electricity? The way I see it, the faster I am in Tier 2, the better the ratio of daytime credits to super off peak and off peak. So I'll be getting 3.5 times the credits at .60/.17 (Tier 2), rather than 1.75 times at .19/.11 (Tier 1). I'd like to be a little more generous with the A/C this summer too; although I realize that will tap into my credits most unless I run on the weekends. So far very happy with my 6000 watt solar system.

Also, is this bound to end? I'd imagine SCE will eventually close this loophole but am wondering if they'd be forced by law to grandfather us in. A lot of people factored in the cost of a system based on the ratios SCE set up and the net meetering system. And what of all the leasing companies who sell energy at a fixed rate? I'd imagine they'd go belly up if the model changed.

Nope, sorry, that plan won't work. One problem is that more of your Off Peak and Super Off Peak power use will also climb into Tier 2, and there are about twice as many Off Peak hours in most months than there are Peak hours. So more of your power use on weekends and evenings will get more than twice as expensive. Secondly, the formula that SCE uses is more complex than your math would predict. The actual math works against you because the more power you use in any time period, the lower the ratio of your solar Tier 2 credits to your total usage. So your credit dollars drop.

Same with increasing your AC use. As you say, for every kWh of AC that you use during PEAK hours, that's one kWh of solar generation that you're canceling out from helping to build your credit balance that you'll need later in the year. It's better to use AC in Off Peak hours, but increasing any power usage is detrimental to your bill compared with not increasing it. That's not to say that you shouldn't enjoy your solar and be comfortable. I'm just responding to your question about whether it will actually help you to build solar credits. It won't.

By the way, my most recent info about rates is as follows:
Home & Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-D-TEV)
Summer
On Peak
Level 1 Rate - $0.19/ kWh
Level 2 Rate - $0.70/ kWh
Off Peak
Level 1 Rate - $0.13/ kWh
Level 2 Rate - $0.31/ kWh
Super Off Peak
Level 1 Rate - $0.10/ kWh
Level 2 Rate - $0.19/ kWh
Winter
On Peak
Level 2 Rate - $0.30/ kWh
Off Peak
Level 2 Rate - $0.27/ kWh
Super Off Peak
Level 1 Rate - $0.10/ kWh
Level 2 Rate - $0.19/ kWh

If you'd like to play with a spreadsheet so you can see what happens when you increase your usage during different time periods, send me a PM with your email address and I'll customize a sheet and send it to you.

As far as whether this will come to an end, that's not clear. If you play "what if" games, clearly if 90% of households had rooftop solar and paid no electric bill, the remaining 10% of ratepayers would be overburdened with paying for imported power and the upgkeep of the grid. But we're nowhere near those percentages. Solar rooftops are a tiny percentage of overall homes in the state. As I mentioned in this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the utilities are trying to add charges for our use of their grid as a storage device. So far, the CPUC has denied their claims. However, there will be a hold on new net metering applications at the end of 2014 so that the CPUC can review the cost studies to make sure that regular rate payers aren't footing a bill for our use of the grid. In casual conversations with SCE staff, I've been told that we'll be grandfathered to some extent, but that remains to be seen. If you think as I do that the benefits of rooftop solar to the state outweigh the costs, sign petitions and let lawmakers and the CPUC know your feelings.

Back