53kw CATL Upgrade on 2013 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the information.
In 2011, when I bought my first Leaf, I thought that part of the plan for Nissan would be to have a well planned strategy to upgrade and replace battery packs as they aged...turned out I was wrong.
However, it's good to see that there is energy being expended by at least one battery maker to supply aftermarket replacements...I hope this is a good beginning and a wakeup call for Nissan to address this problem and not make the assumption any longer that the high cost of batteries make the older Leafs Throw Away Cars.
Hopefully with people like yourself and Dala helping to steer the industry and it's users,, we will get by this hugely negative obstacle. $6.5k for a pack is a start.
Please keep us in the loop.

Can folks here stop using the wrong units?
3) Are you able to quick charge to full 53kW and at what power? would be great a report of charge speed during time, a leafspy snapshot would be enough IMHO (having reference to the temperature too)
Not sure what you're asking on your first part.

Energy and battery pack capacity is measured in kWh.

Charging rate is measured in kW, a unit of power. If you charge at 50 kW * 1 hour --> 50 kWh came out of the "wall". Multiply units and values.

50 kW * 2 hours --> 100 kWh
100 kWh / 2 hours --> 50 kW since h divided by h cancels out.

50 kW * 0.5 hours --> 25 kWh
25 kWh / 0.5 h --> 50 kW

The weight difference seems to be 170km for the 24kw and 350km for the 53kw
a difference of 180km x 2.2# = 396#
I'm assuming that NEDC is the weight of the kit
See above.

Vehicles and charging equipment use the proper units. Skip to 6:50 of https://insideevs.com/news/495913/nissan-leaf-dc-fast-charging-curve/, for example. The charging rate (power) is in the middle, in kW. Energy dispensed is in the upper right, in kWh.

If you look at the video at https://electricrevs.com/2018/07/17...hargepoint-express-250-charge-at-up-to-55-kw/, you can see the kW and kWh values besides amperage and voltage.

Last edited:
great report again @Simon357 , for what I can see from the dynamic load, I I did calc correctly and if they make sense (correct me please if I'm wrong) I would say that max difference in internal resistance of the modules (well module + busbar) is around 0.5mΩ

This is my calc where:
V(u) = Voltage under load
V(s) = Voltage before load
R1 = resistace of module 1
R2 = resistance of module 2
Knowing that V(u) drop is V(s) - I*R and knowind V1(s)-V2(s) around ~20mV and V1(u)-V2(u) = 103mV and I = 196.72A

V1(u)-V2(u) = 103 = V1(s) - I*R1 - (V2(s) - I*R2) =>
103 = V1(s) - V2(s) - I(R1-R2) =>
103 = 20 - I(R1-R2) =>
R1-R2 = (103-20)/196.72 ~= 0.42 mΩ

For sure I did some mistake, please verify my though and check if it is correct. If the above is correct, than the quality of the modules seems good. BTW need to do the same calc at different SOC and temps.

IMHO I would monitorize that cells with most deltaV if this is increasing during time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 01.09.11.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 01.09.11.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Recently I embarked on a battery upgrade using a kit I purchased from SHENZHEN CHUNENG ENERGY ELECTRONICS CO.

https://chuenergy.en.alibaba.com/
www.chuenergy.com

They have several kits, but this one was for their 53kwh version. It included 8 preassembled battery modules, a mounting plate and all required accessories to make the conversion using the old battery shell and BMS.

It does require modification of the old battery tray before securing the new mounting plate inside. It was a pretty straight forward conversion, and the company walks you thru the entire procedure along the way. I was very impressed with their customer service.

The top shell does sit higher which does require spacers when reinstalling the HV battery.

The heater system from old leaf battery was not able to be reused; and I have absolutely no idea what impact, if any, this will have in the future. I am in southern california, so it is not of concern given our climate.

I performed the first full charge last night and the range has increased to 155 miles, but I am sure that will increase as the computer adjusts to the new capacity. The original battery was 24kwh with 64% SOH remaining (55 mile range).
Thanks for this info.
I would like to see the Dc/ to DC (360 volt to 12 volt )convertor be one that went both ways. So that one could hook up extra 12 volt batteries to the DC to Dc converter and increase the capacity of the traction battery without having to remove it and install a bigger one.

Thanks for this info.
I would like to see the Dc/ to DC (360 volt to 12 volt )convertor be one that went both ways. So that one could hook up extra 12 volt batteries to the DC to Dc converter and increase the capacity of the traction battery without having to remove it and install a bigger one.
It wouldn't work for many reasons, but the primary one is you couldn't draw enough useful power at 12 volts to be of any use at 360 volts.

Back