Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toyota is updating its figures for the Prius Plug-in Hybrid model ahead of the car’s launch, with improved numbers for both the MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) rating and the remaining hybrid drive mpg rating. Previously Toyota had claimed the plug-in Prius would achieve 87 mpge using the electric mode and a 49 mpg once the battery pack energy is depleted and the car resumes operation as a conventional Prius.

The new numbers announced by Toyota Division Group VP and GM Bob Carter at a launch program for the Prius c put the plug-in model at an improved 95 mpge, while the regular hybrid drive operation has increased one mpg to 50. ....

Full story at

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/prius-plug-in-hybrid-gets-improved-95-mpge-rating.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrInnovation said:
Toyota is updating its figures for the Prius Plug-in Hybrid model ahead of the car’s launch, with improved numbers for both the MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) rating and the remaining hybrid drive mpg rating. Previously Toyota had claimed the plug-in Prius would achieve 87 mpge using the electric mode and a 49 mpg once the battery pack energy is depleted and the car resumes operation as a conventional Prius.

The new numbers announced by Toyota Division Group VP and GM Bob Carter at a launch program for the Prius c put the plug-in model at an improved 95 mpge, while the regular hybrid drive operation has increased one mpg to 50. ....

Full story at

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/prius-plug-in-hybrid-gets-improved-95-mpge-rating.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ahhh shoot. And I went and bought a LEAF instead. only 106mpge for my commute.

The Leaf consumes 34kWh to travel 100 miles, the Volt consumes 36kWh to travel 100 miles.. how may will the PIP require?.. Testing the PIP will be different since it cant do some the cycles on the battery alone.

2011_Nissan_LEAF_Monroney_Sticker.jpg

2011_Chevrolet_Volt_EPA_Fuel_Economy_Label.jpg

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$561 for the Prius PHEV annual electricity cost? Wowee!!! :shock: My leaf is nowhere near that and I don't have to put any gas in it :mrgreen:

coqui said:
$561 for the Prius PHEV annual electricity cost? Wowee!!! :shock: My leaf is nowhere near that and I don't have to put any gas in it :mrgreen:

That's the Volts window sticker, notice it can go 35 miles on electricity.

mitch672 said:
coqui said:

That's the Volts window sticker, notice it can go 35 miles on electricity.

Oh....sorry....and here I thought this thread had to do with the Prius :oops:

coqui said:
$561 for the Prius PHEV annual electricity cost?
The Volt figure (and its $601 annual cost) is from the EPA MY '11 Volt, the MY '12 Volt is rated at 94 MPGe. Nothing changed between the years, the EPA apparently just did the math wrong (which means the MY '11 Volt should have been 94 MPGe too if I understand correctly). And that should yield a yearly cost of around $591 it I'm doing the math right.

Since this is a Prius thread ;) If the Prius gets 87 MPGe that should yield an annual electricity cost of $638 or so. But who knows what the EPA's going to come up with for the real sticker.

I think that most people who buy the PiP will only do so for HOV stickers. I bet that the vast majority don't plug them in at home.

Personally I think that HOV lanes should be for High Occupancy Vehicles - period. However, if the state really wants to encourage folks to buy alternative fuel vehicles by allowing them use of the HOV lanes, the least they can do is make it a requirement that the vehicle be able to travel in the HOV lane at highways speeds whilst consuming their designated alternative fuel of choice.

For the bay area, people who drive bridges during commute times will save around $900 a year in toll reduction ($6 - $2.50). So as long as they drive it on a daily basis they may make back the money for the PiP over the regular... as long as the stickers don't expire.

That's exactly what the guy here at work plans to do. He's buying the bottom trim level and just wants it for the stickers... Says it'll never get plugged in.

EricBayArea said:
I think that most people who buy the PiP will only do so for HOV stickers. I bet that the vast majority don't plug them in at home.

TomT said:
That's exactly what the guy here at work plans to do. He's buying the bottom trim level and just wants it for the stickers... Says it'll never get plugged in.
My bet is they will plug it in - at least initially. Unless it is very inconvinient (i.e. no close outlets in the garage etc).

He parks outdoors with no outlet nearby at home, and at work we don't have any outlets anywhere near the parking lot (and management has no intention of adding any), so I suspect it will not, in fact, be plugged in very often...

evnow said:
TomT said:
My bet is they will plug it in - at least initially. Unless it is very inconvinient (i.e. no close outlets in the garage etc).

I think Prius (and other) PHEVs may sell very well.

And pretty soon, you'll probably see them parked in every one of those very conveniently located L2 charge points, often for many hours, or days, after charging is completed...

Yet another reason DC charging is indispensable, for BEV owners.

edatoakrun said:

And pretty soon, you'll probably see them parked in every one of those very conveniently located L2 charge points, often for many hours, or days, after charging is completed...

Unfortunately, this is very likely to become true, at least while those L2 charging stations are free for use.

edatoakrun said:

It will really suck for BEVs when those days are upon us...

I've got an idea for a cool Near Field Communication (NFC) App: I tap the PHEV that's done charging with my phone, it gets the owner's phone# from OnStar/CarWings/etc, and it calls the owner so I can ask him to move the car so that somebody who really needs the charger can use it. Another added feature would be it it checks the car's status with OnStar/CarWings/etc and only if its done charging would it make the call (Yes one should be able to figure that out from most charger's displays but not if it's a 110 outlet)

padamson1 said:
I've got an idea for a cool Near Field Communication (NFC) App: I tap the PHEV that's done charging with my phone, it gets the owner's phone# from OnStar/CarWings/etc, and it calls the owner so I can ask him to move the car so that somebody who really needs the charger can use it. Another added feature would be it it checks the car's status with OnStar/CarWings/etc and only if its done charging would it make the call (Yes one should be able to figure that out from most charger's displays but not if it's a 110 outlet)

Isn't the owner of the vehicle already able to receive a message when charging is complete via Carwings/Onstar/etc.? Drivers who are considerate will already move their vehicle after it has fully charged once they receive such a message. However, less considerate drivers who want to take advantage of the closer parking space will likely not care to move their vehicles when it has completed charging. Nor would they likely move their vehicle after receiving a message about another person needing the charger.

Unfortunately, I think it will actually need enforcement of the towing under California AB475 in order to remove vehicles that are "not connected for electric charging purposes." This will unfortunately enter the gray space where people can claim that they were wrongly towed, because their vehicles were connected to the chargers for pre-heating/pre-cooling/etc.

edatoakrun said:
At the end of 2012, I'm confident BEVs will outnumber PHEVs.

But small range PHEVs like PIP - will try to charge as often as possible. So yes, we will have more L2 resource contention. But that is a good thing - a near full capacity utilization will propel the market to add new chargers ....

From the latest EV Project report in WA - it looks like on average a charger is plugged into once in 3 days ! That needs to improve ...

evnow said:
edatoakrun said:
At the end of 2012, I'm confident BEVs will outnumber PHEVs.

the Prius PiP, does have very short EV range but being able to maintain near 50 mpg in gas only mode is huge. my RT commute is 11.8 miles (soon to be slightly shorter after road construction is completed. they are paving today! should be a week or so longer)

that will sell. if they had made it 25 miles AER, that car alone would outsell all other plugs combined but in making it 15 miles, i think they missed by just a hair!

The first PHEVs are in

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/104130-prius-plug-in-pictures-carson-toyota.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back