Overloading the trunk? (8) 5 gallon water bottles OK?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointlomadave

Driving a long distance to get high quality spring water. FIgured the investment in as many bottles as I can safely squeeze in my car will pay for itself over time in reduced trip to the spring. That said, (8) 5 gallon water bottles standing up in the trunk area that are full weigh approx 330lbs. I know the cargo area is supposed to be for only 100 or 150 lbs max. ANyone else load up their trunk with more weight than prescribed? I once had a 200lb guy squeeze in the car and lay down in the trunk. lol. To me, I don't think it is so much the weight, as how it is distributed. THinking 8 bottles evenly spread out should be fine right?? And for the record I have a 2013.

Ok, your thoughts? Ca I do it, or should I just use my Prius C, which cuts the number of bottles I can carry by 2 per trip.

THanks!

I often load up with tool boxes and work supplies. Never gave a thought to load capacity. Though I have noticed the headlights rising up some. Don't know if I put in more than 300#. Give it a try. I think the worst to happen would be a change in the way it handles at higher speed.

No problem, I've carried 320 lbs of softener salt(8 40lb bags) in the back of my Leaf with no issues, add to that the normal 30 or so lbs of stuff I normally carry around. If you could it might be best to lower the rear seats and place some of the weight on top of them, that or if the bottles might fit behind the front seats on the floor, but unless you have your seats forward quite a bit they might not fit.
To me it's not so much about the weight but distribution, if you can it would be good to try and put some of the weight more towards the front wheels but it's probably not mandatory with 350lbs, I didn't. Although I did one time when I carried 12 bags of salt, I put 2 on passenger floor, 2 behind drivers seat, 2 behind passenger seat and 3 on top of folded rear seats and 3 in the back, I probably won't' do that anymore as the car was really riding low :oops:

I'll have the (8) in the trunk, (3) in the back seat seat belted in, (4) on the floor behind the front seats, and (1) in the passenger seat up front & (1) on the floor up front. Total of 17 bottles per trip. Total of 680lbs or so. If I had 4 passengers weighing 170 each, that would be the same thing really other than the slight difference in weight distribution.

I think it'll be ok. =)

Try pushing down on the rear bumper of your typical compact front-wheel-drive car. You'll see that you can actually push it down a decent amount. Since the engine is up front, the rear shocks & springs don't have to be too strong to support the "typical" case of nothing in the back.

But the Leaf has it's heaviest part - the battery - in the middle. So the front & rear shocks & springs are a little more even. Try pushing down on the rear bumper of the Leaf some time. It can handle quite a bit of weight before you'll notice much of a difference.

garsh said:
Try pushing down on the rear bumper of your typical compact front-wheel-drive car. You'll see that you can actually push it down a decent amount. Since the engine is up front, the rear shocks & springs don't have to be too strong to support the "typical" case of nothing in the back.

But the Leaf has it's heaviest part - the battery - in the middle. So the front & rear shocks & springs are a little more even. Try pushing down on the rear bumper of the Leaf some time. It can handle quite a bit of weight before you'll notice much of a difference.

Good point!

Update: had 16 total 5 gal bottles in the car along with my wife and a friend. 8 bottles were upright in the trunk. All good in case anyone else is a water snob like me. =)

I use 5-gallon water bottles to collect and haul sea water for my aquariums.. Good to know I can expand my efforts some what!

You should distribute the weight as if they were passengers... put a couple on the front passenger floor and seat, rear floor and seats, and rest in the trunk.. Or fold down the rear seats..

HOWEVER

If you bought the Leaf to have a positive effect on the environment, then you SURELY should not be using bottled spring water. Haven't you heard about the negative effect of the booming bottled water industry and the waste of money that is??

Don't fill a bucket that has a big hole in it....

pointlomadave said:
garsh said:

Good point!

Update: had 16 total 5 gal bottles in the car along with my wife and a friend. 8 bottles were upright in the trunk. All good in case anyone else is a water snob like me. =)
You had ~640lbs of water, add to that and assuming a very modest 150lbs/person you would have had ~1200 lbs of cargo/people not counting anything extra :shock:
You must have been on the rubber bumpers on all 4 wheels, I don't believe the Leaf is supposed to carry much more than 800 lbs so you were way over that :eek: I'm guessing this is a leased vehicle ;)

Back