Parking ticket at LAX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be taking my ticket to the judge as the parking regulations state up to 30 days free if parked at a charging station.
When rules conflict there should be no citation. JMHO

Valdemar said:
garygid said:
If you do not want a ticket, do not park in a charging-designated space.

Is this just general wisdom or a response to my question? I needed to charge, any ideas how I can charge while not being parked in a charging-designated space?

Then just charge. Don't make it a free parking space.

mkjayakumar said:
Valdemar said:
garygid said:
If you do not want a ticket, do not park in a charging-designated space.

Is this just general wisdom or a response to my question? I needed to charge, any ideas how I can charge while not being parked in a charging-designated space?

Then just charge. Don't make it a free parking space.

The context of my question was lost. I asked if I could get a ticket for parking my Leaf in a RAV4 spot and charging it using a plug from a disabled spot on the opposite side. I had no plans to hog the space, I needed to charge for 1hr and be on my way.

smkettner said:
For free electric, LAX should be installing 100+ regular 120v outlets about every 3rd stall for the long term parking.
By "regular 120v outlets", do you mean the standard duplex ones you find in homes, both halves of the receptacle on the same circuit? If they are on a 20A circuit, 2 Volts could use them at the same time, but two LEAFs would be asking for a blown circuit breaker. So I guess LAX would have to go with non-duplex outlets ... and, of course, a separate circuit breaker for each. This is starting to sound like a lot more money, for breaker boxes, breakers, and wiring, than one would think at first blush.

Ray

planet4ever said:
smkettner said:
For free electric, LAX should be installing 100+ regular 120v outlets about every 3rd stall for the long term parking.
By "regular 120v outlets", do you mean the standard duplex ones you find in homes, both halves of the receptacle on the same circuit? If they are on a 20A circuit, 2 Volts could use them at the same time, but two LEAFs would be asking for a blown circuit breaker. So I guess LAX would have to go with non-duplex outlets ... and, of course, a separate circuit breaker for each. This is starting to sound like a lot more money, for breaker boxes, breakers, and wiring, than one would think at first blush.

Ray
Far less money than 40a 240v circuit per stall, a $3,500 evse, full signage and paint markings.
And maintenance of a lowly 120v outlet could be handled in house vs specialized contractor.

Are you sure the tickets in Lot 6 were for not charging? I came back to Lot 1 after a 2 week vacation and saw 3 Leaf's with tickets for expired registration. I stopped to read the citation, and sure enough their tags were expired.

:shock: What kind of LEAF drivers do you have out there? 3 drivers at 1 given time with expired tags. :shock:

BudRaymond said:
Are you sure the tickets in Lot 6 were for not charging? I came back to Lot 1 after a 2 week vacation and saw 3 Leaf's with tickets for expired registration. I stopped to read the citation, and sure enough their tags were expired.

Some were only a couple days out of registration, but the parking enforcement appears to be aggressively monitoring the area. So make sure you tags won't expire while you're gone.

ztanos said:
:shock: What kind of LEAF drivers do you have out there? 3 drivers at 1 given time with expired tags. :shock:

BudRaymond said:
Somewhere there was someone mentioning the CA DMV had not sent out a renewal form to them... Perhaps it was more than a one off? Mine usueally come very early and I tend to pay right away as forgetting is a nice revenue bump for the state. This time I procrastinated and just happened to remember one day before being "late".

Don't take my word for it (call the LAX PoPo and verify), but it appears they MAY have stopped ticketing EVs parked in front of chargers but not plugged in for charging. My spy tells me of plenty of EVs parked there right now not plugged in, and no evidence of tickets.

Using a limited-resource charging spot for long-term parking
seems to be a sub-optimal use of the scarse resource.

There has to be a better way to operate this charging area.

Perhaps it needs to be a charging concession, with the cars
moved by the concession operator?

Too bad there isn't a valet service you can use for long term parking. I have a 14 day trip coming up and I need the charge to get home from the airport, but I would feel bad taking up resources for 14 days when I really only need 3-4 hours of charge....

garygid said:
Using a limited-resource charging spot for long-term parking
seems to be a sub-optimal use of the scarse resource.

There has to be a better way to operate this charging area.

Perhaps it needs to be a charging concession, with the cars
moved by the concession operator?

Aladdin Garage at SAN airport will do this valet service. We've had them at our LEAF meetings.

thait84 said:
Too bad there isn't a valet service you can use for long term parking. I have a 14 day trip coming up and I need the charge to get home from the airport, but I would feel bad taking up resources for 14 days when I really only need 3-4 hours of charge....

Um... Taxi?

Gotta be less $$$ for taxi or like type service than parking at the airport long term.

I travel 40% and would never leave my Leaf at SeaTac in a charging station for longer than a charge. Then have it moved to normal spot.

A "Charging Valet" seems logical and added jobs are always a good thing!

The added 120 plugs every 3rd spot is solid idea!

If airports are adding charging capability under gate seating for passenger gadgets, it seems logical to add EV capcity services.

SeattleBlue said:
thait84 said:

Um... Taxi?

Gotta be less $$$ for taxi or like type service than parking at the airport long term.

I travel 40% and would never leave my Leaf at SeaTac in a charging station for longer than a charge. Then have it moved to normal spot.

A "Charging Valet" seems logical and added jobs are always a good thing!

The added 120 plugs every 3rd spot is solid idea!

If airports are adding charging capability under gate seating for passenger gadgets, it seems logical to add EV capcity services.

Taxi would cost around 180 - 200 from my house to LAX (I live far, which is why I needed a full battery to drive home. :) ).

I wouldn't mind plugging in the 120v during the long trip, but then I'd also be worried about my EVSE getting stolen too.

thait84 said:
thait84 said:
Taxi would cost around 180 - 200 from my house to LAX (I live far, which is why I needed a full battery to drive home. :) ). ...
Not to mention that 14 days is starting to push up against the point where the 12v battery may run down too far. In case you were unaware, leaving the LEAF plugged in for an extended period interferes with the LEAFs 12v charge maintenance. Anyway, I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find an off-airport parking garage with valet service who would be happy to plug in your car the day before you come back. Of course, that would probably run close to the same amount as the taxi you mentioned.

The LAX situation only can be depended on if you can get to and from without charging at the airport.
There are alternative charging places nearby where you can buy juice L2 while shopping either before or after.

I have used the LAX parking many times, but I dont need to plug in. There were at least a half dozen LEAFs and other EVs in Lot 5 -- just parked with no tickets -- the last time I was there--the end of October.

Back