Paul Scott Drops $32K to Talk Electric Cars with Obama

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdmondLeaf

EdmondLeaf said:
No can accuse Paul Scott of not walking the walk. Scott, a Nissan Leaf salesman and co-founder of Plug-In America, is buying time to talk with President Obama about electric vehicles at a fundraiser next week. The price for the audience is $32,000, and represents a big chunk of his retirement savings, according to reports.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/...to-talk-electric-cars-with-obama.html/?ref=YF
Interesting approach for 2 minutes with the president. Law of supply and demand at work I guess...

Only a complete idiot would do something like this.

This is not at all a comment about the President or his politics. It's all about the guy spending the $$$.

ITestStuff said:
It's all about the guy spending the $$$.
I've met Paul Scott on several occasions and I would have to differ with you on the matter. Life is very interesting: what matters and appropriate, especially when it comes to human endeavor and relationships, over broad time and space, seems unresolved.

I'd suggest that Paul already is achieving a goal of attention, and is grabbing some of the most valuable real estate space in the world: the part that seemingly rides just above our shoulders most of the time: a spot on the mindscape.

ITestStuff said:
Only a complete idiot would do something like this.
This is not at all a comment about the President or his politics. It's all about the guy spending the $$$.
Only someone who values money above all else and cannot imagine other positive motivations or consequences of actions would say something like this.

And this is not at all a comment about politics. It's all about the guy saying the words.

Way to go, Paul (who, in full disclosure, I have met and is not an idiot). May unimaginable positive consequences come to you and the world as a result of your courage, conviction and selflessness!

I've been on the other side of such meet and greets and the handlers are pretty strict. Two to three minutes is usually it.

GeekEV said:
2 minutes? :shock: Hopefully the conversations can run longer if the pres. is enjoying it...

How much are speed talking lessons? Friends of mine have hosted these events for Obama in their homes, in some of these events one can pay $5K for a picture and attend the party and also less than $32K amount above and do a dinner and drink party, however that won't be a promise of face to face but but in the smaller settings it usually results in some good time and excellent contacts as well. I'm not sure if having his ear will help as much as any PR surrounding the exchange.

I wonder what Scott plans to tell him. Given the Republican hold on the congress, difficult to imagine what Obama can really do ..

If you had 2 minutes with the president, what would you tell him about EVs ?

evnow said:
Electrify 5% of all parking spots and start with office buildings used by the government. He could do this with or without congress.

evnow said:
I wonder what Scott plans to tell him. Given the Republican hold on the congress, difficult to imagine what Obama can really do ..

Two things that Paul said he would mention was a higher incentive and make it an instant rebate.

LEAFfan said:
evnow said:

Two things that Paul said he would mention was a higher incentive and make it an instant rebate.

Obama already said he wanted instant rebate (unless that was a dream I had) and to raise the credit from $7500 to $10k.

Bad move to spend $32k for that message.

The latter might happen but the former will never happen in the present and foreseeable political climate.

LEAFfan said:

I give Paul a lot of credit for being such a steadfast advocate of EVs. He's also a great guy and a great convincer. I went solar not that long after talking with Paul. :)
What disturbs me in this story is how the pay for access system works. This cannot be what the framers of our Constitution intended, nor can it be healthy for a society. Our government has become terribly corrupt but no one seems to notice because the corrupt officials running the show have made it all perfectly legal. FYI, I'm talking about both parties, this is non-partisan. :(

TomT said:
LEAFfan said:
The latter might happen but the former will never happen in the present and foreseeable political climate.
Neither will happen without changing the law, and any improvement to the law is very unlikely with the present House of Representatives.

HEAR! HEAR! to what kovalb just said. The problem is not that one party is "bad" and the other is "good". It's that our representatives have forgotten that they are supposed to represent us - all of us - in doing what the nation needs. Instead they seem to be focused primarily on getting enough money, and taking extreme enough positions, to get reelected by their "base".

Ray

planet4ever said:
Neither will happen without changing the law, and any improvement to the law is very unlikely with the present House of Representatives.

Ray
are you really implying that the senate is any better?
or are you saying republican house=bad democrat senate=good
regardless, it's nonsense because both political parties are inept and corrupt.

TomT said:
I've been on the other side of such meet and greets and the handlers are pretty strict. Two to three minutes is usually it.

GeekEV said:
2 minutes? :shock: Hopefully the conversations can run longer if the pres. is enjoying it...

You were president of the United States? Hi jimmy. I knew Tom was an alias.

No, but because of what I do, I have been present on a few occasions over the years and seen how it works from the presidential handler side... I was just offering that prospective...

palmermd said:
TomT said:
GeekEV said:
You were president of the United States? Hi jimmy. I knew Tom was an alias.

apvbguy said:
planet4ever said:
are you really implying that the senate is any better?
or are you saying republican house=bad democrat senate=good
regardless, it's nonsense because both political parties are inept and corrupt.
No, my only implication was that Republicans want to reduce government spending, so the House would vote to repeal the law rather than changing it. I agree with your final statement, which is why I said "very unlikely" rather than "impossible". Anything could happen in either house if Elon Musk were to spread enough money around.

Ray

Back