Percentage who use Leaf as only vehicle?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does your household fleet consist of?

• Single EV household

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Two+ EV household

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • EV / PHEV household

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • EV / hybrid household

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • EV / ICE household

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • PHEV / hybrid household

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PHEV / ICE household

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (No plug-ins, if you have 3+ vehicles choose the closest match above instead of this)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
drees said:
Should we turn this into a poll? Perhaps something like this:

* Single EV household
* Dual EV household
* EV / PHEV household
* EV / hybrid household
* EV / ICE household
* PHEV / hybrid household
* PHEV / ICE household
* Other (No plug-ins, if you have 3+ vehicles choose the closest match above instead of this)

Good idea I think. I don't see at first glance how to set up a poll, whether in this thread or a fresh one. Could someone advise?

The closest public charger to where I live is 40 miles away, downhill toward Tucson. Should be interesting trying to get home, if I fail to stop there and drink deep at the river.

I am by Marana, you can always charge at my house.

jlsoaz said:
drees said:

* Single EV household
* Dual EV household
* EV / PHEV household
* EV / hybrid household
* EV / ICE household
* PHEV / ICE household
* Other (No plug-ins, if you have 3+ vehicles choose the closest match above instead of this)

Good idea I think. I don't see at first glance how to set up a poll, whether in this thread or a fresh one. Could someone advise?
If people like the options, I can set one up.

DanBaldwin said:
but I've never heard of "Gas anxiety".

Mainly in weekends I would come home and the battery would be low. Something unexpected will require a trip and had to use the ICE car. While driving it many time I thought "Now, I am one of them" . Now one Leaf will be at 80% when I come home, so I am covered and can stay a EV ... mutant :lol:.

The Leaf has served as my only vehicle almost exclusively since I leased it in April 2011. A 2002 Audi A4 sits in the garage, inoperable, because the battery died from disuse. Then a new battery was purchased and installed a few months ago and it too has died from disuse.

I have driven the Leaf from my home near downtown L.A. to both Palm Springs and Santa Barbara and back, with prudent planning. So I can use it to go almost anywhere I would have ventured with the Audi. Las Vegas is the one conspicuous exception, and driving there really isn't my idea of a great time, anyway.

Perhaps even more glorious than getting me where I want to go, the Leaf serves to help me avoid making trips I really don't want to make. Invited to a kid's birthday party some distance from home at the last minute? Sorry, the Leaf isn't charged up and it takes several hours ...hahahahahahahahaha ...but seriously, this works beautifully. It's one of the secret perks of owning a pure BEV. Don't pretend you're ignorant of this ....you KNOW you've used this fabulous excuse on occasion.

DanBaldwin said:
camasleaf said:
So are giving all electric driving a chance, now close to two weeks. I find it more relaxing as I do not have the "gas anxiety" anymore. We have a good QC network coming up in Portlan Metro area and that makes it easy to get around farther, if needed. I am still open to the idea of a 4x4 ICE, but I would likely wait for something like the 4x4 PHEV with QC and around 40 miles EV range that will get me between the QC stations if I wanted an all QC trip to the coast or to the moountains.

LOL Wow, that's a new one on me. A lot of us seem to have "Range anxiety" with the electrics, but I've never heard of "Gas anxiety".

I have my own business, and occasionally have to go out on service calls, so electric only was not really an option for me. I assumed that I would be able to do 90-95% of my driving in the Leaf, but after 2 1/2 weeks, all of my driving has been electric.

Gas Anxiety is having two different errands planned at the same time both well within the range of the LEAF and stressing that the errands cannot be rescheduled

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/10/gas-anxiety.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have kept my Chrysler minivan for moving stuff and visiting my daughters in the LA area about once every other month. For now it seems the cheaper more convenient option than renting. Once the van dies, I will not be replacing it.

We have the Leaf plus two ICE, 2003 Civic Hybrid (45 mpg) and a 2009 Subaru Forester (25-28 mpg). Our needs are almost evenly split among the three...Leaf local; Civic 80-140 miles one way to grandchildren; and Forester to haul us, the cat and all the luggage when snowbirding for 5 months a year 1250 miles away one way. It would be possible to combine the two ICE but the cost of ownership including depreciation makes it questionable so best case seems to be to keep all three each for its most cost effective need. When snowbirding we put the Civic and Leaf into storage to save on insurance costs.

Great topic! I've often thought about this myself.

My husband and I traded his 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (great car, but not practical) and my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited for my 2012 Leaf and a 2012 Xterra Pro-4X.

We thought we'd be using the Xterra more than we have, but as it turns out, the Leaf already has double the miles of the Xterra! :shock:

We have taken one longer trip where the space and range of the Xterra were needed. We also have used it for a rugged camping trip, which obviously made it very useful. Probably will be taking the Xterra for our upcoming 200-mile-one-way trip for Thanksgiving, as well.

However, the rest of the time, the Leaf saves the day! My husband works 30 miles from our home, so sometimes I take him to work in the Leaf if I have nothing else to do. There is a quick charger near his work, so I usually charge up and hang out at the library until he's off. (I'm unemployed, so much of that time I spend looking for jobs!)

I thought I loved my Elantra, and while I still think I might like the LOOKS of the Elantra better, everything else I could leave behind. The Leaf is quieter, smoother, more comfortable, faster, and has all the features of the Elantra and more (except for sunroof and leather, but I'm realizing that I don't miss them as much as I thought.)

Anyway, I'm rambling, but our Leaf gets a lot of love. :mrgreen:

Traded my 370z for leaf this January and have not looked back or missed it. I work from home and hate to drive which makes the leaf perfect for me. I also had a paid off Lexus RX 350 and since it was not getting driven much, traded it for a second leaf. Now we only go to gas station for newspaper. Does anyone know what gas prices are at, have not looked at a gas price sign in ten months. Lol

Love ny red Chili,

Ian B

If I have a long trip, I either fly or rent a car, period.

LEAF plus '96 Jeep Cherokee here. 4WD is helpful for sloppy weather conditions and getting up my 400 foot driveway after a snowstorm when I don't have time to shovel it all. And I use the Jeep for trips beyond LEAF range as well as trips on rough roads that require high ground clearance and low range. Renting a car out in the boondocks is not an option and charge station infrastructure is non-existent.

However, the vast majority of miles are going on the LEAF, despite a 1200 mile trip in the Jeep to Idaho last week (got 26.6 mpg, which isn't bad for a fully off-road capable car). I mark my Jeep use on my calendar so that I can remember to drive it every three or four weeks to keep it in good working order; no battery problems at all with it thus far.

It was 13ºF here this morning: winter is coming!

TonyWilliams said:
MrIanB said:
Traded my 370z for leaf ... not getting driven much, traded it for a second leaf.

I met a family today with 4 LEAFs.

Our house is LEAF plus oil burner with a bit less than 2 years on the lease remaining.

4 LEAFs?? :shock: i can imagine how its like there. every morning its a fight for the bathroom, every night its a fight for a plug!

:lol:

drees said:
jlsoaz said:
drees said:

* Single EV household
* Dual EV household
* EV / PHEV household
* EV / hybrid household
* EV / ICE household
* PHEV / ICE household

If people like the options, I can set one up.
Those look like good options; a poll would be interesting.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
4 LEAFs?? :shock: i can imagine how its like there. every morning its a fight for the bathroom, every night its a fight for a plug!

They have plenty of plugins, including at the office, etc.
Do the drivers of the 4 LEAFs all live in the same household ?

DaveinOlyWA said:
i can imagine how its like there. every morning its a fight for the bathroom, every night its a fight for a plug!
You have to live it to believe it! I will snap some pics from our parking garage next week. The rambunctious messages from our internal EV list might be a bit too much to stomach though.

LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

They have plenty of plugins, including at the office, etc.
Do the drivers of the 4 LEAFs all live in the same household ?

I didn't ask... I doubt it. But all four cars were sitting outside. I rode in the red one over to get a burger.

jlsoaz said:
Hi - Is there a link that anyone can find readily?

TomT said:
Yep!

eclecticflower said:
Wasn't there another thread about this? :?

Here you go:

Dual LEAF households:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now a One Car LEAF Family.... (gulp???)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We got rid of our ICE car back in Mar 2012.

Back