Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
naterry said:
Hi, is there any incentive for "company" to install a level 2 charger (free for employee to use) in Phoenix? Thank you.
Not sure if the EV project is still offering a free charger with installation. Give them a call

I had a scary situation at the Chandler Fashion Mall Sears DCFC tonight. I stopped by there to get a quick charge to make it back home and the DCFC got stuck at the "Preparing to charge" phase for a long time. I decided to cancel it, but the Stop button on the screen wouldn't work, and the black release button on the CHAdeMO connector wouldn't release because the red light is still on. But a minute later after I tried, I heard the fan from the big transformer in the back of the station stop, and CHAdeMO red light went out and finally allowed me to disconnect.

I proceeded to try the other port, and again, it proceeded through to the "Preparing to charge" phase and got stuck there again. This time, the fan from the big transformer never kicked on, however. So again, I couldn't remove the CHAdeMO connector now no matter what I tried.

So I called the Blink support number and the rep told me to find an emergency red stop button on the DCFC station. I didn't see any, but she insisted that there should be one on it. She said it would allow me to stop and reset the whole thing so that I could release the connector. I swore to her that I didn't see any on the DCFC and she kept insisting that there should be one. So I remember seeing one at the PADT location, but it's not on the DCFC, it's on a post all by itself nearby. So I looked around and couldn't find any similar post in the vincinity. I had to expand my search a bit and finally found one a good 10 feet away from the DCFC to the right of it, against a wall. I pushed it and the whole thing reset and I was finally able to disconnect the CHAdeMO connect from my car.

I'm not thrilled that the Blink rep didn't know better and kept insisting that the red button should be on the DCFC itself. She probably just followed some instruction on a manual that mentions a red emergency stop button without clearly stating that it can be all by itself away from the DCFC.

Anyway, thought I'd relate my experience to Phoenix folks here who may have use of this DCFC location in the future, so they know that the red emergency stop button is not in the vincinity of the DCFC but a bit further to the right of it, in case they need to use it.

Regarding the connector being locked... I was skimming the CHAdeMO web site last night (they've redesigned it recently) and found this at http://www.chademo.com/technology/details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Never release the lock during charging
During charging, the vehicle coupler is locked to the vehicle inlet via a mechanical latch, and the mechanical latch is locked by a electrical lock. Once charging is completed, an electric lock is released after confirming the voltage on a vehicle connector. It is not allowed to release the lock automatically in case the inlet voltage does not drop to a safe level due to the vehicle contactors’ welding.

cwerdna said:
Regarding the connector being locked... I was skimming the CHAdeMO web site last night (they've redesigned it recently) and found this at http://www.chademo.com/technology/details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Never release the lock during charging
During charging, the vehicle coupler is locked to the vehicle inlet via a mechanical latch, and the mechanical latch is locked by a electrical lock. Once charging is completed, an electric lock is released after confirming the voltage on a vehicle connector. It is not allowed to release the lock automatically in case the inlet voltage does not drop to a safe level due to the vehicle contactors’ welding.
Yeah, I know. It was a last resort trying to disconnect the CHAdeMO connector while the red light is still on because I didn't know about the emergency stop button so I didn't know what else to try.

I remember that on the J1772, if you pull on the "trigger" latch, it'd stop the current flow in addition to allowing the release of the connector. So I was hoping the black release button on the CHAdeMO connector might do the same thing (stop the current flow first).

turbo2ltr said:
Anyone have a dealer they can recommend. Have a friend looking to take advantage of the $199 lease.

I was VERY happy with Trudy Varin over at Avondale Nissan. I drove all the way out there even though I live in East Mesa!

turbo2ltr said:
I haven't personally seen it and it's not on the blink website or plugshare, but a non-leaf-driving friend of mine said there is a new DCFC at a Shell gas station at the south east corner of Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant Parkway.
It's listed on the Blink map now as active. I've also just added to Plugshare.

Volusiano said:
By the way, I notice that the DCFC at the Sears auto center by the Superstition Springs mall (Power & 60) is now shown as operational on the Blink map. I'll be sure to make use of this one next time I visit a relative I have way out there.
I was on the way by there last night, so I stopped by and tried it out. It worked great. It's kind of remotely tucked behind the Sears Auto Center to its left (to your right facing the building).

Volusiano said:
Volusiano said:
By the way, I notice that the DCFC at the Sears auto center by the Superstition Springs mall (Power & 60) is now shown as operational on the Blink map. I'll be sure to make use of this one next time I visit a relative I have way out there.
I was on the way by there last night, so I stopped by and tried it out. It worked great. It's kind of remotely tucked behind the Sears Auto Center to its left (to your right facing the building).

I used this station when we went to pick up our new Volt from Power Chevy. Couldn't make it home without a charge in the Leaf, ha. Anyway, it's a bit creepy after dark at this station, esp. with that TV playing.

I also used this station around Jan 10th, and was glad it was there - missed an exit and wasn't paying attention (on the phone), I was heading East on the 60 instead of south on the 101. When I realized it, I was too far from home. Another nice feature of this station is that it is ungated, so you can access this late at night - I can attest to that....

I am planning to try the Blink DC-FC at Sears Chandler Mall tonight. My thanks to whoever left the clear directions on Plugshare about where it is located. I see that ECOtality has DC-FCs at quite a few Sears locations around the valley now. Very nice!

kovalb said:
I am planning to try the Blink DC-FC at Sears Chandler Mall tonight. My thanks to whoever left the clear directions on Plugshare about where it is located. I see that ECOtality has DC-FCs at quite a few Sears locations around the valley now. Very nice!
Yeah, that was me. I added the direction there on Plugshare for the Sears Chandler location because it took me a while to find it because I assumed incorrectly that it was at the Sears Auto Center (separate from the mall) but it's not. So I figure that may save people from wasting time looking for it like I did.

LEAFfan said:
They're supposed to be at all six Sear's Auto locations. ECOtality is updating their software so they can start charging a fee.
So far I only see 4: Chandler mall, Superstition Springs mall, Paradise Valley mall, and Arrowhead Towne Center mall. Which other 2 are they supposed to be at, too?

Volusiano said:
Yeah, that was me. I added the direction there on Plugshare for the Sears Chandler location because it took me a while to find it because I assumed incorrectly that it was at the Sears Auto Center (separate from the mall) but it's not. So I figure that may save people from wasting time looking for it like I did.

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time. BlinkMap and PlugShare both show the location at the front of the mall near Cheesecake Factory (???). I also thought it was at the Sears Auto. I've found the Plugshare comments and photos to be the most helpful.

jspearman said:
I know this has probably been covered somewhere else, but are there any non-Blink chargers in Phoenix?
I'm aware of only 1 ChargePoint L2 EVSE station at Bookman's book store in Mesa. And the L3 one by GOe3 in Picacho between Phoenix and Tuscon.

Back