Planning to Build my own EVSE - Any Help is Appreciated

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycenphil

It is looking like building my own EVSE is the way to go. I'm perfectly comfortable putting together wiring and following instructions. I am not a computer person or electronic technician.

My thought is to buy this kit from the Open EV Store:

http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/openevse-30a-charge-station-combo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe I will also need a box and the charging cord/plug.

I have spent quite a few hours surfing the forum, but still have a few questions. My car is a 2013 "S" with the 6.6 charger. I am running 8/2 wire to the garage, and have a 40 amp circuit breaker. I will probably wire it with a plug so I will have the option of taking the charger with me if I ever want to.

Is that everything I will need? Are the instructions clear and detailed? Do you ecommend anyting different?

I am open to all suggestions, advice and criticisms. I apologize in advance if I am asking questions already answered in the forum.

Thanks.

Unless you are comfortable with electricity, electronics and wiring, I would not recommend rolling your own... The potential is there to seriously hurt someone.

I can understand wanting to make your own EVSE for the personal satisfaction and adventure, but I don't think it will come out saving you any significant money after buying the kit, a J1772 cable, the AC cord, and an enclosure. You can buy the Bosch 7.2KW unit for $593 and the Clipper Creek 5KW for $494 online. It sounds like you have the expertise to install either of those yourself.

I know that many electrically-knowledgeable people frequent this forum, so I certainly will yield to any of them who disagree with me. I'm just looking at the prices for things.

I am fairly comfortable with electricity and wiring, and am very safety minded. I am far from an electronics expert, and would be counting on thee instructions for that. And maybe my brother, the avionics tech.

It seems I can build it for about $400, everything included. I did look at the Bosch, and it seems more than a few people have had them fail. My thought is that having built it, if something did fail, I could probably figure out what is wrong and repair it pretty easily. Perhaps not so with the Bosch (once it is out of warranty.) Same repair problem for the Clipper Creek, plus it is a little less powerful.

I would love an OpenEVSE build day, and would even be happy to host it. But I would need someone to be the "expert". Anyone in southern New England interested?

Graycenphil said:
I would love an OpenEVSE build day, and would even be happy to host it. But I would need someone to be the "expert". Anyone in southern New England interested?

I am planning a cross country road trip this Spring with my family. I would be happy to lead a build day in New England.

OpenEVSE was born here on My Nissan Leaf, there are about 1000 in the wild now. The guides are pretty good and with the increasing quantities I have passed the savings on by regularly lowering prices.

If you would rather do something sooner there a lot of resources available. There are many knowledgeable OpenEVSE builders in the area that may be willing to help out.

The Wiki has a ton of info about the build process and J1772 in general... Here is a build guide for an example 30A charge station.
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/30A_OpenEVSE

OpenEVSE has a thread on this forum:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6546

And a forum for OpenEVSE with many active contributors:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/OpenEVSE

Thank you Chris. I do want the charger sooner than that (maybe tomorrow?) but would still be willing to host a build day in the summer just for fun, if there is interest. I'm sure I would learn something from it too.

One question, one concern: What is the advantage of the LCD?

Someone suggested to me that if the EVSE somehow damages the charger or battery, it would be my fault. Is there really any possibility of this?

The OpenEVSE sends out a 1 KHZ square wave that adheres to the J1772 standard. It is most unlikely that it will damage the car charger. It has been tested on all available cars and passed on all of them. I build units as a hobby and over a dozen have worked on Leaf's, Fit EV's and RAV4EV's. That is the cars I have tried but since it meets the J1772 standard it should work with any complying car.

The LCD display falls into the bells and whistle category unless you have the real time clock option. It is necessary for that. In units that will be used in direct sunlight I go with the led since it can be seen.

If you are in the Disneyland area I would be happy to help. Never mind I see you are on the snow coast.

Thanks Glenn. Maybe someday I can drive my EV to Disneyland...

I just ordered the OpenEVSE 30A Charge Station Combo - Built - No LCD

I will order the charging cable.

I ran the 8/2 wire from the fusebox into the garage, but ahven't connected anything yet. Bought a few piggyback breakers and one 40 amp.

I also bought a 6-30R outlet and plug. I figure I will set the EVSE up with the option of taking it with me. Now I'm thinking perhaps I should use a dryer plug instead of the 6-30, since any charging I do would most likely be from a dryer outlet. It means I would have an outlet in my garage with no neutral, but I don't see where that should be a problem.

If I'm missing anything, or anyone has a better suggestion for all of this, please speak up. If I'm just being dumb, please say so too.

Thanks. Never had this much fun with a new car.

I'm south of Boston, looks to be about 85 miles away from you, I could assist on a weekend..
Not sure if there are any SuperChargers near you get, but I should be able to make it round trip without charging anyway.

Take a look at my 75A OpenEVSE build: https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graycenphil said:
... Now I'm thinking perhaps I should use a dryer plug instead of the 6-30, since any charging I do would most likely be from a dryer outlet. It means I would have an outlet in my garage with no neutral, but I don't see where that should be a problem. ...
It would cause you to fail inspection. If you use a four wire outlet, you need all four wires. Instead, use a L6-30 outlet and plug, and make or buy adapters like these to plug into a dryer outlet.

http://www.evseadapters.com/

That's very nice Mitch. I think you are at least two levels above my grade on this - I'm just putting together a kit, hopefully with as little soldering as possible. Questions:

What's so special about that enclosure that it costs $112?
It looks like a permanent installation. Why didn't you run the house wiring right to it? It appears you ran the wiring to an outlet, then the outlet to a junction box and the junction box to the main box?

It is all very nicely done. I'm also jealous of seeing a 170 mile trip as doable without a charge. I will attempt it alone, but appreciate the weekend offer. With luck, I won't have to take you up on it. But if I do, you can charge as much as possible here from a 110 outlet or the dryer.

Thanks Dave too. I guess I'll stick with the 6-30.

The enclosure is rated NEMA watertight, has an internal aluminum panel, then a clear cover that seals over it, so it was easy to hide the massive 75A contactor & electronics, while seeing the LCD display and button. Nothing special about it, it's just large...

I did run the #3 copper to it after testing, it's on a 100A breaker. Maybe that pictures not showing up, the one showing it plugged into a 14-50 was just used during testing (not much fun wrangling #3 copper to remove/reinstall the unit)

In theory I could go 250 miles round trip without charging (summertime), but factoring in battery and heating the cabin and the low winter temperatures, best to keep it to under 200 miles.

I ran the wire out to the garage and installed an outlet. Made up a cable and plug from an old electric range cord. Got a box from Lowes - 8x8x4, so I'll have plenty of room to work. J1772 Cable from Leviton is here. "OpenEVSE 30A Charge Station Combo - Built - No LCD" is shipped, scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

I will try to put it together Tuesday night.

Is there anything else I need?

Do I mount the components right to the back of the box? I see a grid in the back of Mitch's 75A unit. Did that come with the enclosure, or is it something I can/should get?

Thanks again.

mitch672 said:
I'm south of Boston, looks to be about 85 miles away from you, I could assist on a weekend..
Not sure if there are any SuperChargers near you get, but I should be able to make it round trip without charging anyway.

Take a look at my 75A OpenEVSE build: https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are Tesla SCs in East Greenwich RI now, easily on route from the south shore to northeast CT.

Yes, I know, I've already charged at the East Greenwich RI SuperCharger, it's nowhere near the direction to the OP though.

The baseplate on my 75A OpenEVSE enclosure came with the box, one of the reasons it was $111

mitch672 said:
Yes, I know, I've already charged at the East Greenwich RI SuperCharger, it's nowhere near the direction to the OP though.

Could've been. You don't say how far south of Boston you are, but if you took 95, or whatevers closer, to the Providence area, you could pick up 44 which goes right near Eastford. Sorry, don't mean to hassle you. With a Tesla, you can take the route you want. LEAF drivers tend to get reacquainted with the older, secondary highways. So, take my advice, don't listen to me.

I really shoulda bought that Tesla...

Is there any reason not to attach the components right to the back of the box?

Back