Planning to Build my own EVSE - Any Help is Appreciated

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has 3 colors:

red if the GFCI check fails, or there is an error with the EVSE (you will have to power down the OpenEVSE to clear it)
green when the OpenEVSE is on/ready to charge
blue when actually charging (relay engaged)

just gives you a visual indication of a few states... the LCD display tells you much more, allows you to adjust the current (if for example you use the OpenEVSE on a smaller circuit or travel with it..) the LCD also changes the background color as well as displays messages.

and yes, it just plugs into the I2C port (4 pin connector on the OpenEVSE), even comes with a short cable, and its all assembled, your only job will be to drill the hole (or holes) and mount the PC board., plug in the cable, that's it. The LCD is the same, except more work to cut out the rectangular hole and also mount a momentary switch.

I have a LED and LCD. I work for the redundant department of redundancy department. I actually do have both, it is nice because when the sun is blinding the LCD the super bright LED works fine. My wife is very lazy and needs 20 things to tell her if she is charging or not or she complain how stupid of a car the leaf is. Don't get me started how stupid it is that the dash lights blink when the battery is getting heated and my wife though it was charging. Disaster.

I think I will go for the LED, or probably even the LCD. It looks pretty nice, it's sort of fun and I might one day need to reduce the amperage. Technically, my EVSE is portable.

I was going to say that all you really need is the blue lights on the dashboard, and everything else is redundant. But apparently that is not so? If the car is fully charged, or not charged at all, and the battery heater is on, then the lights blink? Even if it is plugged in, it could be not charging?

Chris has a really nice I2C RGB LED for $12. It is stand alone and very nice. It is something to add to the order since he charges a pricy flat rate for shipping.

Everything has been running along just great. I'm putting a lot more miles on the car than I expected.

Recently I have sometimes been charging outside. Just wondering - Is the J1772 I bought from Leviton suitable to use when it is raining? Everything else is inside; just the cable and connector outside.

Thanks.

Graycenphil said:
It is looking like building my own EVSE is the way to go. I'm perfectly comfortable putting together wiring and following instructions. I am not a computer person or electronic technician.

My thought is to buy this kit from the Open EV Store:

http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/openevse-30a-charge-station-combo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe I will also need a box and the charging cord/plug.

I have spent quite a few hours surfing the forum, but still have a few questions. My car is a 2013 "S" with the 6.6 charger. I am running 8/2 wire to the garage, and have a 40 amp circuit breaker. I will probably wire it with a plug so I will have the option of taking the charger with me if I ever want to.

Is that everything I will need? Are the instructions clear and detailed? Do you ecommend anyting different?

I am open to all suggestions, advice and criticisms. I apologize in advance if I am asking questions already answered in the forum.

Thanks.

Try this at your own risk.. I made it and it works well
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back