Plug adapters for Aerovironment and other portable EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

Hi everyone - is there an existing thread for discussing this?

I can't seem quickly to gather the adapter information I need to make a decision about buying one of these expensive but cool-looking portable EVSE units that I see advertised at the top of MNL.

As having the right adapters and fitting them to the unit when the time comes, how does it work, if I get one of these portable chargers? A fellow Leaf driver did stop at my house and used an Aerovironment portable unit plugged into my dryer socket, back before my residential Level II was set up (I do not now need this portable unit for my house, only for the road), but it did not sound as though his accumulation of the right adapters was entirely easy, nor do I know how much that costs or where I would get them. Also, the process for fitting it onto the unit, .... I wasn't sure if that is entirely plug-and-play fool-proofed.

I have networked with a Bed and Breakfast about 20 miles away that tells me they occasionally are able to accommodate EV drivers who would prefer a 220V outlet, so that is probably where I would use this once in awhile.

jl

Try:

http://www.EVSEadapters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are using a modified Nissan - Panasonic unit that can handle 240v that the air conditioner uses.

Or, you can simply make your own from common hardware store parts.

CAUTION: Putting 240v into an unmodified unit will destroy it. A NEMA 6-20 or 6-30 should work on many air conditioners:

chart-2_grande.jpg

For the Aeronvironment "portable", you would need an L6-30 to connect your adapters (vice an L6-20 on lower powered units). Or, you could just hard wire any plug on.

In addition to the product link Tony provided, there is a thread here which discusses adapters: EVSE Plug Adaptors, Cords and Modifications Info

Note in particular the very useful post by GeekEV on creating your own. Among many other things it covers the NEMA 10-50 that is not shown in Tony's picture, and is the universally used "50 amp" outlet in RV parks.

Ray

Correction: RV parks use 14-50, as Tony says below, not 10-50.

jlsoaz said:

I can't seem quickly to gather the adapter information I need to make a decision about buying one of these expensive but cool-looking portable EVSE units that I see advertised at the top of MNL.

As having the right adapters and fitting them to the unit when the time comes, how does it work, if I get one of these portable chargers? A fellow Leaf driver did stop at my house and used an Aerovironment portable unit plugged into my dryer socket, back before my residential Level II was set up (I do not now need this portable unit for my house, only for the road), but it did not sound as though his accumulation of the right adapters was entirely easy, nor do I know how much that costs or where I would get them. Also, the process for fitting it onto the unit, .... I wasn't sure if that is entirely plug-and-play fool-proofed.

I have networked with a Bed and Breakfast about 20 miles away that tells me they occasionally are able to accommodate EV drivers who would prefer a 220V outlet, so that is probably where I would use this once in awhile.

jl

AV does not make a portable unit, the plug is not so it can be portable it is for easy consumer installation. It is not designed for portable use internally and it must be on a high amperage circuit. If you need a portable unit then get your factory cable upgraded for 240V at evseupgrade.com.

EVDRIVER said:
jlsoaz said:

jl

AV does not make a portable unit, the plug is not so it can be portable it is for easy consumer installation. It is not designed internally for portable use and it must be on a high amperage circuit. If you need a portable unit then get your factory cable upgraded for 240V at evseupgrade.com. The adapter link is fine but they are not designed for that unit they are designed for the upgraded cord in your car.

Hi -

Thanks for the responses. This link does look like it will be helpful if I buy an AV unit or use evseupgrade.com to alter the equipment that came with the vehicle.

http://www.evseadapters.com/products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
planet4ever said:
Among many other things it covers the NEMA 10-50 that is not shown in Tony's picture, and is the universally used "50 amp" outlet in RV parks.
The "50 amp" plug at RV parks is a NEMA 14-50.
Oops, sorry. You have used RV outlets, Tony, and I haven't, so you are obviously right and I was confused.

Ray

nonleafeater said:
Will the NEMA 6-50 plug on the Aerovironment units plug into a NEMA 14-50 (RV park) outlet?? It looks like it should fit.

Thanks
NO. NEMA 6-50 plugs into NEMA 6-50 only. That is the design.
You will need an adapter. NEMA 14-50 is needed to plug into a NEMA 14-50.
Although if you leave the neutral pin out the NEMA 14-50 & 14-30 are interchangable.

Back