Preserving a new battery.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisclement

In our day-to-day usage we run it down from 95% to about 75% and see no reason not to Level 1 charge it back to 95% in about 5.6 hours. Is this "healthy"? It is a brand new 2024 S model.

In our day-to-day usage we run it down from 95% to about 75% and see no reason not to Level 1 charge it back to 95% in about 5.6 hours. Is this "healthy"? It is a brand new 2024 S model.

No problem in using trickle charge. The general rule for Lithiums in as in most batteries, is to avoid high heat. As far as charge level, the best advice (if possible) is to keep the main battery between 40% and 60%. Avoid letting it run very low and avoid full charging to 100% and leaving it for an extended period of time. The faster the charging, the more heat. If you have the time, I'd stick to trickle charging (level 1). I'm retired, so it works well for me, since I take maybe 2 or 3 trips a week (25 mile round trip ea.). I do a full charge to 100% maybe once a month to let the BMS do its thing completely, but usually drive soon after, so it doesn't stay full charged for very long. My 22' SV+ is still at 98% of original capacity after about 2 1/2 years, so I'm doing something right :).

Once you get a feeling for how much percentage of charge you get per hour, you can set simple timers to let you know when to unplug it at say 70% or 80%, etc. If your needs never exceed this, then keeping it at 60% will give you the longest possible life-time versus convenience. You might find that even at 60%, you won't deplete exactly 20% because the way Lithium batteries work, they taper the state of charge around the edges of full charge and full dis-charge. If you need to keep a buffer for unexpected longer trips, then 80% will still work to give you a long battery life.

Since you probably don't need to QC (quick charge) it, heat isn't really going to be an issue for you in that regards, other than what the outside temperature is where the Leaf sits all the time.

Back