PSA: Proper charging lock usage when publicly charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
What was the reason he gave for not using Auto? (I never even use that.)
He didn't give a good reason at all. He seems to be fighting fire with fire and hasn't thought through everything or doesn't care.

He seemed upset that I bypassed his charging lock even though he car was done long before saying "there's a fine line..." He seemed uninterested in listening to me saying that he'd be listening for "the last 15 minutes" (BS, more like 5) and didn't "want" to take up my time.

He claimed that this is his 2nd Leaf and that he's seen the whole gamut of bad things from unplugging him when his car's not done to breaking his charging lock (duh) by force. And, he claims he's had people come and physically stand in the spot until their plug-in shows up or people ICE the spots to reserve them for their plug-in. He claimed his 1st Leaf can't lock its port anymore due to the above breakage. He said when he's been unplugged, he's stranded, which I agreed sucks. He claims he has a GoPro camera pointing forward where he records everyone who unplugs him and puts them up on YouTube.

I told him I've had a Leaf for 3 years and never had this happen. I told him about how the previous folks couldn't charge and had to wait for a car to leave. He said he didn't want his charging lock to be broken on his 2nd Leaf. I told him he should use auto or don't lock it. I told him about confusion other drivers here sometimes have when a car's done (usually GM driver since Gen 1 Volt and Spark EV have indicators that are essentially opposite of ours). I suggested that he put up a sign listing how to tell if the car's done, like I do (and some others do, as well), if I leave my car there and as the Volt across from us had done. He scoffed at that.

He wanted to leave so I didn't have time to suggest other things like a charging protocol card. He was simply uninterested his ways and just didn't want people unplugging him, to hell with the plug locked like a parasite to the car after completion.
Sounds kind of like a jerk and the best thing that can happen to him is to get a ticket for taking up a EV charging spot and not charging :)

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe a short "If you don't want the charging lock broken, use Auto"...
Yes, I suggested this or not locking it.

Unfortunately, using Auto doesn't help for him if some a-holes or ignorant folks use force and break his mechanism while in Auto, hence the need to put a sign up at his charging indicators, like I suggested. He scoffed at that idea.
jjeff said:
Sounds kind of like a jerk and the best thing that can happen to him is to get a ticket for taking up a EV charging spot and not charging :)
Don't think that'll happen is I'm quite sure that area doesn't have the proper signage for (California) AB 475 enforcement. They did start a new 4 hour time limit for occupying the spots w/the threat of citation. Not sure how harshly it's enforced. There is a security car that sometimes comes by and takes down plate #s but it can be pretty infrequent, not even once an hour.

Also, unfortunately, due to how badly the AB 475 law got written, IIRC, it doesn't distinguish between a car that's connected actively charging vs. one that's connected but stopped charging.

Back