Public Charging Companies - Confusion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipcecil

Ok, I am now offically confused. I am hoping someone here can clear this up:

ChargePoint (Coloumb company EVSE) has a few EVSEs throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Area (9 public locations total). I have a ChargePoint card and can use both the pay and non-pay stations (we have 2 paid ones) since I linked the account to a credit card.

Now I see information on CarCharging company. They also offer a card to use on their system, which is the same paid EVSEs that ChargePoint has implemented. In addition, on their website their cards allow them to use the free EVSEs on the ChargePoint network as well (I am assuming thats true since they list all of ChargePoint's EVSE on their website when you search for public places to charge).

So what gives? I understand that CarCharging is the licensed operator for the paid units, but its through the ChargePoint Network anyways. What benefit is their to use a CarCharging card over ChargePoint? Would there be any benefit to sign up for both? To me it seems 100% redundant, which adds more confusion, and I am pretty savy on all the public charging in DFW (I maintain the map for the region!). Two companies offering the same service for the same usage of all public EVSEs seems too redundant (i.e. why spend the money and effort to make a duplicant service!). I feel I am missing something different between the companies and service. Does anyone know?

Not that confusing.

They are a for-profit entity that own and operate some ChargePoint stations, all purchased from Coulomb. FYI: They pay a monthly network fee to Coulomb for each EVSE, pay them ~$.50 per session... and send a percentage of any fees they charge customers. (Great business for Coulomb here, eh?)

CarCharging Inc has no unique card. You only need a ChargePoint card, as supplied by Coulomb. If you try to to get a CarCharging Inc card, you'll just get a ChargePoint card which you already have. ;-) It might have a different logo on it, though. They are just trying to market their brand... I'm sure they'd love you to exclusively use all their owned units and always send money their way.

I still don't expect a lot of success for any of these "charging station operators" -- their weak business plans are very similar to for-profit WiFi. :shock:

grommet said:
I still don't expect a lot of success for any of these "charging station operators" -- their weak business plans are very similar to for-profit WiFi. :shock:

I agree, and that's a good analogy!

Back