Quick Charge @ Nissan HQ Broken... Now Working :)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennr01

New to Leaf, new to the forum. Took delivery on my 2012 a couple of days ago - waiting on my 240v charger. I live within spitting distance of Nissan's headquarters in Cool Springs, TN. Needed a quick charge, drove onto the Nissan campus and found the QC unit showing an emergency indication ("alert administrator"). Okay, I know its New Year's Eve day, but still...

I left my Leaf at one of the 240v chargers for about 5 hours, picked it up this evening. I can deal with Range Anxiety, but Corporate Abandonment?? ;)

This is going to continue to be a problem as long as there is only one QC - or even EVSE - at charging locations... It is like having a gas station with only one (somewhat unreliable) pump...

glennr01 said:
New to Leaf, new to the forum. Took delivery on my 2012 a couple of days ago - waiting on my 240v charger. I live within spitting distance of Nissan's headquarters in Cool Springs, TN. Needed a quick charge, drove onto the Nissan campus and found the QC unit showing an emergency indication ("alert administrator"). Okay, I know its New Year's Eve day, but still...
I left my Leaf at one of the 240v chargers for about 5 hours, picked it up this evening. I can deal with Range Anxiety, but Corporate Abandonment?? ;)

Glad to say, the QC unit is now fixed. I'm thinking perhaps a bottle of wine, the wife and I chillin' in the evening, with the gentle glow of the Nissan HQ sign lighting the Leaf's cabin - quite romantic and a free charge :)

sounds like you are close. are you close enough to walk? I would gladly use L2 if that was the case. in fact, i would never use my power since I am so cheap.

It is, IMO, not polite to leave your car unattended, and
NOT charging anywhere at Nissan or Mitsubishi Headquarters.

Even if charging there, I feel that one should be there
to be able to move your car, if requested to do so by
the headquarters staff.

These are not public charging stations, but
private stations that they kindly let us use.
They can withdraw that permission at any
moment.

So, please be EXTRA courteous at these sites, so that
we do not lose these precious resources.

DaveinOlyWA said:
sounds like you are close. are you close enough to walk? I would gladly use L2 if that was the case. in fact, i would never use my power since I am so cheap.

Not quite walking distance - however, perhaps because Nissan is such a dominating presence in the area, there are many local hotels, restaurants, and retail that have free L2 chargers. The QC at Nissan's HQ is the only QC I know of locally.

garygid said:
NOT charging anywhere at Mitsubishi Headquarters.

Mitsubishi.

moment.

So, please be EXTRA courteous at this site, so that
we do not lose this precious resource.

huh?? the guy is in Tennessee at the Nissan offices, not in Cypress, CA at the Misui offices.

glennr01 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Not quite walking distance - however, perhaps because Nissan is such a dominating presence in the area, there are many local hotels, restaurants, and retail that have free L2 chargers. The QC at Nissan's HQ is the only QC I know of locally.

I'm not sure what you consider locally. If you mean Cool Springs, I think you're right that may be the on one. However, if you mean middle TN, there are a few others in the area. Cracker Barrel has them at select locations down I-24 to Chattanooga, Up I-75 to Knoxville, and along I-40 back to Nashville. There's also a free public QC at the Nissan plant in Smyrna along with about 10 free L2 chargers. Not suggesting to drive to any of these places, just an FYI if you happen to be in the area.

BTW, I tried that charger at Nissan HQ on the 29th and it was down with the "emergency button pushed" error. It's good to hear they finally reset it.

-Lindell

well, its very hard to dispute the value of quick charging even if it is local. I get a lot of flack from some people due to the fact that the QC i use the most is only 5 miles from my house but I only use QC for out of town trips rarely. There are several occasions where simple local errands runs me to the limits of my range and beyond. I live in a small town (Lacey 35,000) that is a suburb of a small town Capital (Olympia, 55,000) and the QC is in another small town on the opposite side of Oly from Lacey (Tumwater 25,000) so local errands means running from town to town and like any other "urban" center, they have grown together to where you have to know the area well to know what town you are in frequently.

also, like any area that borders water. direct routes are limited. far out enclaves are the norm, not the exception and distances can be great especially when the only short route (5 miles) to cross the sound requires very congested downtown Oly traffic. it is frequently MUCH easier (and much faster) to take the 12 mile detour from I-5 to Hwy 101, etc.

so the ability to grab an extra 30 miles of range in 10-13 minutes is INVALUABLE

gaswalla said:
garygid said:
NOT charging anywhere at Mitsubishi Headquarters.

Mitsubishi.

moment.

So, please be EXTRA courteous at this site, so that
we do not lose this precious resource.

huh?? the guy is in Tennessee at the Nissan offices, not in Cypress, CA at the Misui offices.

Yeah, totally didn't catch what this guy's vibe was.

lindell26 said:
I'm not sure what you consider locally. If you mean Cool Springs, I think you're right that may be the on one. However, if you mean middle TN, there are a few others in the area. Cracker Barrel has them at select locations down I-24 to Chattanooga, Up I-75 to Knoxville, and along I-40 back to Nashville. There's also a free public QC at the Nissan plant in Smyrna along with about 10 free L2 chargers. Not suggesting to drive to any of these places, just an FYI if you happen to be in the area.

BTW, I tried that charger at Nissan HQ on the 29th and it was down with the "emergency button pushed" error. It's good to hear they finally reset it.

-Lindell

Appreciate the heads-up. Yeah, was thinking Cool Springs/Franklin area, but good to know about other QC opportunities. Cracker Barrel very smart - make your way to Chattanooga, eat and charge, and yer on yer way ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
well, its very hard to dispute the value of quick charging even if it is local... so the ability to grab an extra 30 miles of range in 10-13 minutes is INVALUABLE

Yeah, topped off last night with the QC @ Nissan for about 10 minutes, good to go for the rest of the evening. Now, if we can only get Pilot (regional truck stop) to install one of these at each of their locations...

I used the QC @ the Smyrna plant last weekend. I'd never used the Nissan QC & wanted to see the difference between it and the Blinks I've used probably 20 times in the 2 months I've been driving my LEAF. Was cool to park in their charging lot with about 6 other LEAFS, most I've seen together that wasn't in a dealership lot. Of course, they were all Level 2 charging as the owners were at work in the plant. Nissan's charger was much sleeker and the monster plug was much easier to wield than Blink's, but it seemed to take a lot longer to charge. 30 minutes from 40%-90%

There was a 2013 parked off from the others, so while I was waiting I proceeded to put my finger & nose prints all over the windows. First thing to give it away was the black rims, which I don't like & then realized it has 17" wheels.

Get you a Blink membership, premium or plus or something like that as it's free until Jan 2014 & when you find yourself at a pay charging station it's only $1/hr. Install plugshare on your smart phone & you can see all the charging stations & filter to only DCQC to see where you can go in your LEAF. Pretty much anywhere east of Nashville relatively near the interstates.

Don't let the left coasters bug ya, they ain't from around here & get worked up pretty easy ;)

Philip

gaswalla said:
I think what gary was trying to say was that (regardless of WHOSE corporate headquarters you're charging at) if you let your EV just sit unattended, you'll never know whether someone in greater need just pulled in for an emergency charge. or - maybe you're just topping off (but you take off anyway), and someone pulls in just to juice up from turtle mode, and only needs to get 10 miles farther down the road to get home. If you're not there, it can possibly be a major setback for someone. Heck, for that matter, there have been plug-in flame-out's. Folks that are courteous enough to keep standing by have the advantage of handling the situation. But the plug-in that's just left at a remote location (until you get around to returning) creates a log jam of sorts. And some folks let their plug in sit and sit and sit, never giving a thought as to whether the EVSE stall could serve a better use than simply holding a fully charged / parked car.

Back