Quite happy with the 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on the sidelines this whole time. One of the main things keeping me away from the Leaf were the exterior color choices and the lack of interior choices. They have fixed both of those issues for me. That may sound stupid (because it is) but buying or leasing a new vehicle almost never makes sense, and emotionally I really dislike the grey interior and all the exterior choices.

The extra cargo space and faster charger are also a big deal for me.

I'd still like more range. 65-70 miles is reasonable, but 70-80% of that isn't. I'm betting the 2013 Leaf won't be much better, if at all, in terms of range.

I'd consider leasing a MY13 Leaf, hoping that in three years something much better is available. The additional cost after saving about $200/mo on gas wouldn't be such a stretch.

^^^
It's too bad that BEV choices are rather limited outside CA (and CARB states?)... We've got a bunch of CA compliance car choices. If only the Rav4 EV were cheaper (meaning, Toyota has to lose even more $ on each sale)...
I was fine w/the '11-'12 Leaf exterior color choices and the only interior color but I do see people's complaints about light colors getting soiled easily. I'm divided about a dark interior as I don't really like them myself... I'd prefer something sorta in between, a medium to dark grey instead of black.

cwerdna said:
^^^
It's too bad that BEV choices are rather limited outside CA (and CARB states?)... We've got a bunch of CA compliance car choices. If only the Rav4 EV were cheaper (meaning, Toyota has to lose even more $ on each sale)...
I'd buy a Rav4 EV in a heartbeat if they'd sell me one! Toyota sends me regular Rav4 EV emails just to taunt me.

cwerdna said:
^^^
It's too bad that BEV choices are rather limited outside CA (and CARB states?)... We've got a bunch of CA compliance car choices. If only the Rav4 EV were cheaper

The net cost RIGHT NOW is about $35,000 for a Rav4. How cheap do you think it needs to be?

Bicster said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
I'd buy a Rav4 EV in a heartbeat if they'd sell me one! Toyota sends me regular Rav4 EV emails just to taunt me.

Many have already purchased out of state. It's a few days to a week journey on a truck.

TonyWilliams said:
Many have already purchased out of state. It's a few days to a week journey on a truck.

I'd like to know more about this. I assumed a purchaser needed to be able to demonstrate a California address. Does it vary by manufacturer? For example, can an out of stater lease a Fit? Or buy a Fiat 500 EV? On the RAV EV, doesn't that $35,000 price point include Cali. Incentives only available to Cali. Residents?

Thanks, Gary

brg2290 said:
TonyWilliams said:

I'd like to know more about this. I assumed a purchaser needed to be able to demonstrate a California address. Does it vary by manufacturer? For example, can an out of stater lease a Fit? Or buy a Fiat 500 EV? On the RAV EV, doesn't that $35,000 price point include Cali. Incentives only available to Cali. Residents?

Thanks, Gary

No, you don't need a California address to buy a Rav4. You do need to have it professionally shipped to you, unless you want to pay California sales tax. I don't know about the other EV compliance cars in California.

Currently, until Feb 4, 2013 (I think), there is:

$6000 Toyota cash plus:
$7500 Federal tax credit
$2500 California rebate (obviously for California... your state may have something, too)

$16,000 total, or $13,500 without the California rebate. Some states, like Washington, have no sales tax for EV's (but a $100 per year road tax) and Colorado has $4000? in state rebate.

That would mean that a $50,800 Rav4 (with shipping cost) plus tax is now $34,800 plus tax, or $37,300 without any state rebate. There are dealers who will knock $1000 more off, so $33,800 net (again, plus tax which will be based on $50,800 minus $1000 dealer discount).

TonyWilliams said:
No, you don't need a California address to buy a Rav4. You do need to have it professionally shipped to you, unless you want to pay California sales tax. I don't know about the other EV compliance cars in California.

Can Toyota dealers in other places service the car ?

evnow said:
TonyWilliams said:

Can Toyota dealers in other places service the car ?

Officially, yes. Practically, for a specific problem with the Tesla drive train, no.

Agreed. The only exterior color I like is still red. I was ready to hate the light interior on mine but have found that it actually holds up and resists stains exceptionally well.
I'm not very enthralled about black as the only SL leather interior color choice and would have liked a grey or tan or brown instead. In hot climates, it is going to be particularly problematic, I believe...

cwerdna said:
I was fine w/the '11-'12 Leaf exterior color choices and the only interior color but I do see people's complaints about light colors getting soiled easily. I'm divided about a dark interior as I don't really like them myself... I'd prefer something sorta in between, a medium to dark grey instead of black.

TonyWilliams said:
Bicster said:
cwerdna said:
^^^

And then you're SOL because there's no service available for it.

TonyWilliams said:
Officially, yes. Practically, for a specific problem with the Tesla drive train, no.
Not that I want to buy an EV - only lease until the technology matures.

Bicster said:
TonyWilliams said:
Bicster said:

And then you're SOL because there's no service available for it.

Not true.

TonyWilliams said:
Not true.

Is there an official statement on out of state service for the Rav4 EV? Or some other resource I can read up on? I'm interested in this, but I've threadjacked enough here. Thanks

TomT said:
Agreed. The only exterior color I like is still red. I was ready to hate the light interior on mine but have found that it actually holds up and resists stains exceptionally well.
I'm not very enthralled about black as the only SL leather interior color choice and would have liked a grey or tan or brown instead. In hot climates, it is going to be particularly problematic, I believe...

cwerdna said:

Tom, the black leather seats will be no problem in hot areas. We will just reverse the heating to cool the seats. I'll bet Phil can do it! But if not doable, we still have pre-cooling available.

Bicster said:
TonyWilliams said:
Not true.

Is there an official statement on out of state service for the Rav4 EV? Or some other resource I can read up on? I'm interested in this, but I've threadjacked enough here. Thanks

There is, but I don't remember where I saw it. Probably on the http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the warranty manual:

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12RAV4EV/pdf/2012_Toyota_RAV4_EV_WMG.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WHERE TO GO FOR
MAINTENANCE

You may have maintenance performed on
your vehicle by any qualified person or
facility.

In the United States, U.S.
Territories and Canada

To obtain warranty service in the United
States, U.S. territories or Canada, take
your vehicle to an authorized Toyota
dealership. If your vehicle cannot be
driven, contact your nearest Toyota