Radio/navigation issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profesora

Hi, everyone,

About a week ago, I noticed odd things happening with my navigation system and radio. My car is a 2016. At first, the radio turned on, but the station was stuck, as was the volume. Worse yet, the navigation system (touch screen) was not responding. It took my mechanic a good 15 minutes to find an error code in his database, but once he did, he recommended a dealer check first to diagnose the problem for fear of "erasing the code" if he just did a reset. I made an appointment with the dealer later that afternoon only to arrive and have them tell me that they'd have to keep the car for a few days because they only had one Leaf mechanic. Since I couldn't do that without making arrangements first (not to mention I was already reluctant), I drove back home. My navigation system is what I love most about my car, and I'm anxious about driving anywhere unknown without it. I'd be willing to put some $ into fixing it, but have dealership trust issues.

Yesterday, I noticed that upon starting the car, the console now opens automatically, as if I were going to insert a CD. Today, when I started the car, I held the screen shut. I figured I had nothing to lose. To my surprise, the GPS surprisingly worked! Twice. But my radio now does not work at all.

My question is: does this sound like a software issue, a hardware issue, a wiring issue, or something else? I want to be able to fix this car (it has less than 20k miles on it!) but I also don't want to pour thousands of dollars into it if it's not worth it or worse, not necessary (see "dealership trust issues")

thank you!
Bonnie

Sounds like it could be a couple of different things.
First search the forum for something like "monitor screen" or "stuck open/close"; there is a dirt/cleaning issue with the buttons.
Then you can work the radio/nav issue separately (if it still exists).

Did you clean the screen recently? Never spray liquid directly on the screen.

If this caused the issue, in my experience, Nissan will just tell you that you need a new unit for a couple thousand bucks. Or you can take it apart and clean the fluid residue off the ribbons behind the buttons.

I wonder if holding the screen down damaged anything.

Not a hard job if you have the hands of an oompa loompa.

In addition to the cleaning/dry out recommendations, I suggest disconnecting power to the radio/navigation unit for a few minutes to completely reset it. Since there is a circuit for memory as well as the normal power circuit, it is easiest to just disconnect the negative terminal of the 12V battery for a few minutes to reset the radio/navigation unit (may also clear diagnostic trouble codes, but true fault codes will return if any faults still exist).

Back