Range at full charge on brand new 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbahubbaone

Fully charged my range with eco mode active on brand new leaf is only 82 miles and battery charging is set to 100% on settings (came that way from dealer and have only owned car 1 week). Is this normal or are my batteries already weak?

hubbahubbaone said:
Fully charged my range with eco mode active on brand new leaf is only 82 miles and battery charging is set to 100% on settings (came that way from dealer and have only owned car 1 week). Is this normal or are my batteries already weak?

LEAFrangeChartVersion7F.jpg

Your range (that is how far you can drive before the car hits Turtle, starting from 100% charge) is dependent on many factors, as Tony's chart shows.

Your range is not the big number on the dash next to the fuel bars, that number is a guess made by the car's computer, and can be quite far off. This number is frequently referred to as GOM (Guess-o-Meter).

Also, your range will increase for the first couple months as the tires wear in. My Leaf is 2 months old and the range has gone up about 10% since I drove it off the lot.

Thanks for the reply It would be nice to know how the onboard computer calculates range(driving habits on average or what?). I show 12 bars so I guess my batteries are ok. Is there an onboard diagnostic an owner can use to check batteries or can that only be done at a service center?

hubbahubbaone said:
Thanks for the reply It would be nice to know how the onboard computer calculates range(driving habits on average or what?). I show 12 bars so I guess my batteries are ok. Is there an onboard diagnostic an owner can use to check batteries or can that only be done at a service center?

There are several after market on board diagnostic devices that have been developed by some outstanding engineers who are members here. For dedicated devices, search for Gidmeter or LEAF DD. For an app that you can use on a cell phone or tablet, search for LEAF Spy, which is only available for Android devices and requires and inexpensive Bluetooth dongle that attaches to the car's OBDII port. All of these devices will give you much better range information throughout the car's driving range, and they will all give you useful data on the condition of your car's battery pack now and as it ages. They can all be had affordably, with the LEAF Spy the most affordable if you already have an Android device.

hubbahubbaone said:
See Leaf Spy info here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hubbahubbaone said:
I show 12 bars so I guess my batteries are ok
Nope. If you mean 12 capacity bars (the skinny white ones at the far right edge of the dash display, bottom two red) that only means you have lost not much more than 15% of your original capacity. If you mean 12 available charge bars (the wide blue and white ones that surround the GuessOMeter) that only means the battery is full. Even if the battery capacity was down to half of what it was when the car was new you would still see 12 available charge bars when you charged to 100%.

Ray

planet4ever said:
hubbahubbaone said:
I show 12 bars so I guess my batteries are ok
Nope. If you mean 12 capacity bars (the skinny white ones at the far right edge of the dash display, bottom two red) that only means you have lost not much more than 15% of your original capacity. If you mean 12 available charge bars (the wide blue and white ones that surround the GuessOMeter) that only means the battery is full. Even if the battery capacity was down to half of what it was when the car was new you would still see 12 available charge bars when you charged to 100%.

Ray

12 total capacity segments, number 14 in the photo

capacitygauge

Let me take a guess, where you driving 60+ MPH on a highway the day before?

hubbahubbaone said:

List of terms here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glossary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Info on what most of us use is the LeafDD, cool device.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12561&hilit=Leafdd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Battery Aging Model for your location, good to know:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Battery_Aging_Model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fred

Thanks to all for the help to the newbie. Lucky to have an android tablet and just ordered Bluetooth OBDII plugin tool. And yes I did drive 70 mph on freeway the day before, so I'm thinking the onboard computer averages your total power used versus mileage to determine range.

hubbahubbaone said:
And yes I did drive 70 mph on freeway the day before...

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winnner! That's exactly why your GOM said what it did. Based on your past driving, that's what the computer is guessing your range is (it's assuming you'll still drive that same way). Drive 50 miles on surface streets, then shut off and recharge the car. The GOM will say something drastically different. I've seen the GOM go as high as 103 when I first get in, and as low as 74. But there's nothing wrong with my battery, I'm still at 12 bars. The GOM is just that...a guess.

stjohnh said:
Your range is not the big number on the dash next to the fuel bars, that number is a guess made by the car's computer, and can be quite far off. This number is frequently referred to as GOM (Guess-o-Meter).

I can't speak for your 2013, but my DTE number (no longer a GOM) is extremely accurate, within just a couple miles +/- all the time while being driven on relatively flat roads. It's a BIG difference from my 2011's GOM.

LEAFfan said:
stjohnh said:

I can't speak for your 2013, but my DTE number (no longer a GOM) is extremely accurate, within just a couple miles +/- all the time while being driven on relatively flat roads. It's a BIG difference from my 2011's GOM.

I actually agree w you, and the 2013 GOM/DTE meter is also fairly accurate on my cars, on relatively flat roads, but it is still a guess, and is not at all accurate (as you say) when going up or down long hills. I still wouldn't call it "extremely" accurate, and it has a BIG deficiency in that it becomes less and less accurate below LBW, then gives no info at all below VLBW (where I would argue is the place the driver MOST needs it). I didn't want to get into a discussion about complex details of the GOM (which as you mention, might be better called the DTE number) in a thread started by a newbie.

This is purely a "seat of the pants" observation but my LEAF seemed to get better mileage after several weeks of driving. As someone else mentioned the tires perhaps get "broken in" and I suspect that any rotating surfaces will have the bearings break in as well.

It takes many thousands of miles for tires to break-in so that likely has no bearing on it...

ERG4ALL said:
This is purely a "seat of the pants" observation but my LEAF seemed to get better mileage after several weeks of driving. As someone else mentioned the tires perhaps get "broken in" and I suspect that any rotating surfaces will have the bearings break in as well.

LEAFfan said:
stjohnh said:

I believe (with no basis in fact other than I have driven both cars for several thousand miles) is that the difference maybe that the 2011/2012 software used older driving data from before the last recharge, while the 2013 ALSO uses more recent driving history data from the current discharge cycle.

Between Sunday and Monday I did 85 miles starting at full charge, ending at LBW and when I was on faster roads it the range would decrease by a couple of miles, and when I drove conservatively and the trip average increased it, the DTE would increase at what appears to be a appropriate amount.

It does have an easier time if your driving style doesn't rapidly change. Hyper-miling at 20 MPH and then jumping on the freeway at 70 are going to be hard for it to deal with. Who knows when you will transition back? Maybe the next gen software will look at where you have driven in the past at try to predict it based on your path.

I ran Leaf Spy on my car I purchased on 10/25/13, an SV model and it shows 259GIDs, SOC 97.3%, 20.1kWh remain. Is this normal or below par for a new Leaf? The chart shows I should have 288 GIDs. Bat AHr=59.53 (90.75%) Hlth=90.95 Odo=585 Thanks

hubbahubbaone said:
I ran Leaf Spy on my car I purchased on 10/25/13, an SV model and it shows 259GIDs, SOC 97.3%, 20.1kWh remain. Is this normal or below par for a new Leaf? The chart shows I should have 288 GIDs. Bat AHr=59.53 (90.75%) Hlth=90.95 Odo=585 Thanks

Normal for a 2013 Leaf made in May or later. Nearly everything you read on these forums likely refer to 2011 and 2012 Leafs unless otherwise specified. The chart you were using is for older Leafs.

Back