Range drop substantially after new tires?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chennu

Hi,
I recently replaced the Ecopias with other Ecopias from Costco. Since that time, the range seems to have dropped by more than 20%.. anyone else run into this?

chennu said:
I recently replaced the Ecopias with other Ecopias from Costco. Since that time, the range seems to have dropped by more than 20%.. anyone else run into this?
We replaced our Ecopias @28,000 miles with Michelins from Costco. At 40 psi, our mileage dropped just under 10%, but this was coincident with the start of summer air-conditioning season so we're reserving final judgement until Fall. "Maximum range" comes after "better durability" for our tire-buying priorities. Some MNL contributors have posted that new tires will in general deliver less initial mileage than worn-out "slicks", but 20% seems to be an extreme, especially when replacing Ecopias with Ecopias.

Everything else being equal, new tires will always be less efficient than old ones. Tires are most efficient just before they completely wear out... The difference is rarely THAT significant, however...

chennu said:
Hi,

Everyone with a Prius also notices this issue. But, after 3,000-5,000 miles the mileage is usually back to normal. Its not 20% though, more like 5%.

Nubo said:
20% change from the same model tire is odd.
+1. I changed from Ecopias to a different model entirely (Kumho Ecowings) and the initial drop was ~10% (from 4.4 m/kWh to 3.9), but that improved slowly over the next 6 months to nearly the same average efficiency (4.3 vs. 4.4). To drop 20% with the same brand seems excessive to me, but you should see improvement over time.

TT

Back