Ready to get EVSEUpgrade, What do I Do?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobp

I just placed my order for a 2012 Leaf.

After reading many of the posts here, I decided to explore having an electrician install a dedicated 240v plug in my garage rather than use AV.

I want to make sure I have my specifications in line.

While I understand that all I need is a 20amp line for the current EVSEUpgrade technology, I've seen a fair bit of commentary about installing a 40 amp line to "future proof" the installation. To be honest, I'm not sure what that means or what that entails. My understanding is that if I want to future proof the install I should get 40amp wire installed from the circuit box to the receptacle, but that I could still install a 20amp circuit breaker. And that I should get a NEMA 6-50 outlet.

I have some questions. Would it be crazy to install a 40 amp breaker now? Are they more expensive than 20 amp breakers? And, do I need the 6-50 for 40 amps or can I use the 6-20 that I see a lot of people talking about?

Finally, I'm not sure which side of the garage I will park the Leaf. As a result, I'm thinking of having two 240v 40 amp receptacles installed in the garage. If I do that should they each have their own dedicated line or can they share a circuit breaker?

I had an electrician at the house today and he gave me an estimate of $400 to run a dedicated 240v 40 amp line to the garage. It is quite a long run as the circuit box is in the basement on the opposite end of the house from where the garage sits. Does that sound like a reasonable price to you?

Thanks and sorry for all the newbie stuff.

Jacob

On dedicated lines you generally don't want a breaker more than 125% of the load rating of the device plugged into it. Since the AV EVSE is rated for 30A (even though the LEAF won't draw more than 16A currently), that means a 40A breaker. The difference in cost between breakers is negligible. $400 for a run like you mention doesn't sound bad at all! Yes, a NEMA 6-50 is a common choice, particularly if you're thinking about getting a Blink or a Leviton EVSE. *But* many here, myself included, would recommend you simply get your included L1 EVSE modified by evseupgrade.com and use that instead. It's more flexible and lots cheaper. If you do that, it uses a NEMA L6-20 plug. You could still install a 6-50 outlet, but you'd need an adapter. Changing outlets and breakers is easy and inexpensive, but running the wiring is not. No matter what you do, make sure to have the electrician run wire rated for 40A or 50A so you have options in the future. Personally I went with 50A wiring, as it's perfectly fine to have higher rated wire (but not lower).

Thank you very much. I am planning to get the EVSEUpgrade.com upgrade. And to "future proof" I'll have the electrician use 40amp or 50amp wiring, install a 40amp circuit breaker and the NEMA 6-50 outlet. Is that what you would recommend?

I had 8/2 with ground wire put in. This should cover up to 40A. Some people prefer to install 8/3 with ground instead to be even more future-proof.

Since I'm only using the EVSEUpgrade unit, I have a 20A breaker and the L6-20 receptacle. That way I can plug the upgraded unit directly into that receptacle without a pigtail. No need to install a different receptacle right now.

If I ever install a 30A EVSE in the future (like AV or Schneider), I will just replace the breaker to 40A and change the receptacle to 10-50 or whatever.

Since you said it's quite a long run from your service panel to the outlet, I'd go with 50A wiring (6 awg) to help minimize the power loss due to the long run if it doesn't cost much more than the 40A wiring (8 awg).

As for splitting the same circuit breaker into 2 outlets one on each side of your garage, I don't see why not as long as you don't plan on having 2 electric cars later that will require 2 separate charge stations. But let's say if they quote you $400 to run 1 line and only $500 or $600 to run 2 lines at the same time while they're on the same job, I may seriously consider running 2 lines instead of 1, especially if you want to have 2 outlets. I can only see myself getting another electric car in the future to replace my ICE car when the range problem is solved.

jacobp said:
...install a 40amp circuit breaker and the NEMA 6-50 outlet. Is that what you would recommend?
Not quite. For safety's sake, use a breaker that's the closest to (equal to or above) 125% of the load you'll be using on the outlet. If you're getting the evseupgrade.com modification, that's 16A * 125% = 20A. You (or an electrician) can easily swap the breaker later if you go with something different in the future. If you do go with an L6-20 outlet, you'd have to replace that in the future too since it's only rated for 20A as well. The good new is, the parts for each of those things should be under $20 a piece.

Breakers and sockets are relatively cheap.

The main costs are electrician's time, permits, and wiring for longer runs.

If you think you need more current in future (e.g. 30A), you can put in the heavier gauge wire now as it will work fine with the lower current 16A. The bigger breaker would work OK too, but offer somewhat less safety.

Unless you absolutely need to future proof and avoid a 2nd electrician visit, I would go with the L6-20 and 20A breaker now, but with the heavier gauge wire. Then when you want to upgrade later you just hire someone to change the socket and breaker.

Great thread. I am in the same situation and this has answered all my wiring questions. :D

Back