rear-ended, advise on repair + HOV sticker?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyofella

While stopping at a red light, I was rear-ended by a Ford Mustang (with racing stripes). Fortunately everyone in the car is ok.

Unfortunately, however, the damage is on the rear bumper. There's a deep enough crack that I suspect the body shop will have to replace it (the car was in perfect shape w/out a ding in my 10 months driving it :cry: ).

Here's my dilemma: I live in California and I've come to depend on those HOV stickers to get me through a fairly rough commute (101, 237, 880). If the body shop has to replace the bumper, I'd really prefer to not go through the multiple month process of getting replacement stickers. I'd appreciate any advise on how to proceed with the repair while minimizing my HOV-less time.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would send in another REG1000 form and follow the instructions in the Q&A on the above link to request another set of stickers with the required explanation and recovered stickers...

When my 2002 Prius got rear ended in a similar situation (stopping at a signal - the guy was adjusting his radio station as he was approaching the intersection and did not notice me slowing until it was too late), I asked the body shop to cut out the old HOV sticker from the bumper. The bumper was some kind of plastic about 1/16 thick. They did a nice clean cut with the edges being smooth, not sharp at all like metal might be. The sticker was intact with a little trim around the edge.

Initially I temporarily "scotch taped" this in the new back bumper, but the tape eventually collected dirt and looked bad. I thought about going through the hastle of the paperwork to get a new sticker,but then suddenly just though, "Hey, why don't I just use some clear silicone caucking to stick it on more permanently." and think about doing the paperwork later.

Well, you can guess what happened. The silicone job didn't look so bad. Around the edge eventually got darker, but it looked more like a trim and definitely much better than the scotch tape.

And there it remains on the bumper even as I type this many years later. No one ever stopped me or asked about it and the number matched original DMV paperwork, of course.

Well, you did ask for options ;)

Randy said:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

I would send in another REG1000 form and follow the instructions in the Q&A on the above link to request another set of stickers with the required explanation and recovered stickers...

thanks for the link. Unfortunately going to the official replacement process probably means I'll have to go without the Decal for about 2 months. I'm looking for a way to minimize that.

lkkms2 said:
When my 2002 Prius got rear ended in a similar situation (stopping at a signal - the guy was adjusting his radio station as he was approaching the intersection and did not notice me slowing until it was too late), I asked the body shop to cut out the old HOV sticker from the bumper. The bumper was some kind of plastic about 1/16 thick. They did a nice clean cut with the edges being smooth, not sharp at all like metal might be. The sticker was intact with a little trim around the edge.

Initially I temporarily "scotch taped" this in the new back bumper, but the tape eventually collected dirt and looked bad. I thought about going through the hastle of the paperwork to get a new sticker,but then suddenly just though, "Hey, why don't I just use some clear silicone caucking to stick it on more permanently." and think about doing the paperwork later.

Well, you can guess what happened. The silicone job didn't look so bad. Around the edge eventually got darker, but it looked more like a trim and definitely much better than the scotch tape.

And there it remains on the bumper even as I type this many years later. No one ever stopped me or asked about it and the number matched original DMV paperwork, of course.

Well, you did ask for options ;)

Did you try asking the repair shop to see if they can remove the old sticker and reapply to the new bumper? I may try what you proposed, ask the repair shop to cut around the old sticker, then try the hot hairdryer method to remove it and keep my finger crossed that it'll stick on the new bumper.

Re. that Mustang. About 2 seconds before the mustang hit me, another sports car swerved around me in the right lane to run the red light I was stopping for. I suspect the Mustang was racing with that first car and just did not have the handling/skills to avoid me after the first car swerved. well, teach me to go run errands on St. Patty day.

I just went through this a couple months ago. The shop peeled the decals off and I filled out the application for replacements and sent it to DMV along with a copy of the repair estimate plus $8.00. I hated to think of going without HOV access so I kept and taped the old ones on my car and figured if I got stopped I would just explain what happened. 5 days later I received the application back along with a letter from DMV that stated that I had to include the old stickers, including any fragments. Bummer, so I resent the application with the stickers and to my surprise in around 7 days the new stickers arrived!!!! Kudos to DMV, I honestly expected to be waiting for months.

This part I can't necessarily recommend, but before sending them in I photocopied them and tapped a copy on so I could keep on using the HOV lane. Figured if I got stopped I could explain my way out of it. Never considered it might be a felony or something to copy them :roll: I would recommend hanging out with the Prius drivers and doing without for a week.

Mike

MrFish said:
I just went through this a couple months ago. The shop peeled the decals off and I filled out the application for replacements and sent it to DMV along with a copy of the repair estimate plus $8.00. I hated to think of going without HOV access so I kept and taped the old ones on my car and figured if I got stopped I would just explain what happened. 5 days later I received the application back along with a letter from DMV that stated that I had to include the old stickers, including any fragments. Bummer, so I resent the application with the stickers and to my surprise in around 7 days the new stickers arrived!!!! Kudos to DMV, I honestly expected to be waiting for months.

This part I can't necessarily recommend, but before sending them in I photocopied them and tapped a copy on so I could keep on using the HOV lane. Figured if I got stopped I could explain my way out of it. Never considered it might be a felony or something to copy them :roll: I would recommend hanging out with the Prius drivers and doing without for a week.

Mike

thanks for the input MrFish. 1 week sounds very reasonable, but I wonder if I the reduced turnaround time is due to the fact that you've already submitted your paperwork earlier but didn't send all the sticker. I guess I'll send in the paperwork as soon as I drop off the car to minimize the delay and keep my fingers crossed.

btw, did you get rear ended too? did you send car to dealer to have battery checked out?

yoyofella said:
MrFish said:

Mike

thanks for the input MrFish. 1 week sounds very reasonable, but I wonder if I the reduced turnaround time is due to the fact that you've already submitted your paperwork earlier but didn't send all the sticker. I guess I'll send in the paperwork as soon as I drop off the car to minimize the delay and keep my fingers crossed.

btw, did you get rear ended too? did you send car to dealer to have battery checked out?

Seemed like the DMV response time has improved. Yes I was rear ended on the freeway, estimated difference in speed I would put at ~ 10 mph. Still did over $2,500.00 damage. Due to the low speed and the car functioned fine afterward so I did not feel it warranted a check. I did have the 15k check about a month ago and all was well.
Hope all goes well.

I had this happen to my prius! This time, I scanned my beautiful leaf stickers before sticking them onto my car. I figured i would tape them onto my car if i got into an accident and had to wait for replacements.

I got rear-ended as well.
The shop managed to peel my stickers from the bumper (using a heat gun from the other side), and glue them back on my new bumper.
You have to wait for the paint to cure on your new bumper, and you need to re-apply your stickers as soon as you peel them off the old one (or else the paint will dry).

I haven't bothered re-applying for new stickers, and they seem to be holding just fine (after 4 months on their new bumper).

I highly recommend the body shop who did my repair (neither the recommendation from my insurance, nor from my local nissan dealership), so if you're in the bay area, you can contact him : benz autobody from redwood city.

gudy said:
The shop managed to peel my stickers from the bumper (using a heat gun from the other side), and glue them back on my new bumper.
You have to wait for the paint to cure on your new bumper, and you need to re-apply your stickers as soon as you peel them off the old one (or else the paint will dry).

I haven't bothered re-applying for new stickers, and they seem to be holding just fine (after 4 months on their new bumper).

I highly recommend the body shop who did my repair (neither the recommendation from my insurance, nor from my local nissan dealership), so if you're in the bay area, you can contact him : benz autobody from redwood city.

thank you for the tip. this does sound like a relatively painless way to go. I assume the sticker held up pretty well even after the 2nd application?

so far, so good.
it's been about 4 months.

I'd recommend that you start un-peeling them from the rear, that way the wind will not unstick them more (the corner where you start will not come perfectly, and you'll leave some glue on the old bumper).

gudy said:

Gudy,
I am in the same fix.
Rear-ended and the shop has removed the stickers, but they say void on them, now.
did that happen with yours and does the void go away once pasted back on?

also, what do you mean by:
you need to re-apply your stickers as soon as you peel them off the old one (or else the paint will dry).

or else the paint will dry??

hi, i had a similar situation. sticker came off in car wash (combination of heat and air i guess). do you know what kind of glue they used to affix your sticker? i can't wait another 2-3 months for a replacement but don't want to damage the surface of the car.

thanks!

clipboarder said:
hi, i had a similar situation. sticker came off in car wash (combination of heat and air i guess). do you know what kind of glue they used to affix your sticker? i can't wait another 2-3 months for a replacement but don't want to damage the surface of the car.

thanks!

if you have two stickers, drive with those.
call the dmv in sacto and tell them what happened; ask how to replace the set.

thankyouOB said:
clipboarder said:

thanks!

if you have two stickers, drive with those.
call the dmv in sacto and tell them what happened; ask how to replace the set.
I had my stickers replaced recently.

I can tell you that you cannot replace just one sticker. You need to return the WHOLE set before they will issue a new set because all the serial numbers must match.

If you return less than the entire set, you need to fill up the reg256 form and sign under penalty of perjury to explain why you are unable to return the whole set.

Back