Rear right side-scrape on cement pillar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdar216

Hello all! I just joined this forum less than a week ago upon the purchase of my 2013 Nissan Leaf S. I searched through threads with hilights to "body repair" and although they were insightful and found them a bit helpful, I am kind of anal and was hoping for some more specific advice to the damage of my car.

I hadn't even had the car for a week and already managed to hurt the poor baby, although I am pretty sure it's all cosmetic. I was exiting a parking garage and to avoid hitting someone coming in that was in the middle of both lanes, I turned a little too right trying to hug as much as my side and ended up scraping the rear side against a cement pillar.
I'm nervous about just dropping it at my local body shop I have taken all my past cars too because of the fact the leaf is different I guess... the damage is mostly the right rear door, quarter panal and bumper. My boyfriend believes we can fix it up enough so it doesn't look as bad ourselves to save money since I just dropped a heavy dime and all I had in my savings to buy this beauty, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that decision.

What do you guys think? I'm posting a few images to give a better idea on what you think is the best and most cost effiecent way to fix this body damage up. The door still opens fine and the tire is fine as well. It just looks .... not good. Does it appear to be fixable parts? Or would all new replacements need to be installed? If anyone else has had similar damage to their car, what did you do? About how much did you spend or should I estimate to about spending on this being fixed up?

I think the only thing the shop needs to keep in mind is the car cannot go into a paint curing oven unless the main battery pack is removed first. However I have read here there may be workarounds for that such as skipping heat cure or using heat lamps. Talk to your body shop about options.

Looks like the sheet metal is pushed in a bit? If it were my car I'd get it fixed. That's a bit more than I'd be comfortable trying to do a DIY repair on.

Your insurance may be able to help you out, but you'll still have to pay the deductible, and a claim may wipe out any discounts for a while.

I did something similar to my Miata at a fuel pump soon after purchase. Got it fixed. Those concrete columns are nasty.

Bdar216 said:
Does it appear to be fixable parts? Or would all new replacements need to be installed? If anyone else has had similar damage to their car, what did you do? About how much did you spend or should I estimate to about spending on this being fixed up?

From what a body shop guy told me, they generally replace sheetmetal parts rather than attempt to repair them, unless it's a small dent. Between the thin sheet metal and complex curves of modern car styling, the labor costs in trying to fix damaged sheetmetal could easily wipe out any savings from not having to buy replacement parts.

I had the driver's side of my Toyota 4x4 scraped by the mirror of a passing car from the taillight (breaking it) to just shy of the cab. The body shop ended up welding a whole new panel.

Back