Rear-ended by an SUV and survived

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anitza

Hi... So my 2011 Leaf was rear-ended by a Jeep Cherokee yesterday.

The Jeep had it's front wheels bent such that that police officer said it had to be towed.
My car was damaged significantly but able to drive off.

Mostly just sharing because there is something poetic about this! :)

(Mind you I hope I don't get a bad surprise at the body shop tomorrow).

I also read that you have to be careful at body shops because if they heat the car after a paint job it could damage the battery. But my local nissan dealer didn't seem aware of that when I asked for recommendations for a body shop. Sigh.

cwerdna said:
Glad that you are ok, but given the an ’11 Leaf has so little value (in the US), it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s totaled.

The good news is you may be able to get the book value if it's totaled, then buy the car back for a few hundred, fix the worst damage yourself or with a local mechanic, and keep driving a free car.

I am really glad you are OK. LEAFs are heavy cars that do a good job of protecting their occupants. My 2011 was rear ended by a 3/4-ton 4X4 diesel pickup. I was able to drive it out of the intersection to a safe parking place, but both vehicles were towed from the scene. My LEAF was technically repairable, but the other driver's insurance company declared it a total loss because book values were low due to lease returns flooding the market.

If there is damage to the main body (not just the hatch and bumper), your car will likely be declared a total loss since book values are low.

Just got back from the auto body shop. It is repairable, so I will get to keep my trusty old Leaf! She is tougher than she looks!

I had to repair a bumper. I warned them about heating the battery. He looked at me funny and said they remove the plastic panel( front bumper ) and heat it up so it goes back into shape then sand buff paint it. After they put it back on it looked brand new.

Back